JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I chose a .22 as a carry weapon for many reasons, but for two major ones. Price to shoot (practice) and very low recoil.

I shoot ~500 rounds/month in my home range. My shooting has improved to the point that I can put 10 rounds from my SR22 in a 6" circle from 20' in two seconds and 8 rounds from my LCR 22 in the same time frame (2 seconds). Yes, I miss occasionally, but I'm getting pretty consistant. That means I have 8 or 10 times the chance of hitting a vital than the average person can do with a hand cannon. I can get perhaps two shots off with my .357 in that same two seconds.

I'm fast approaching 73 and have some arthritis going in my wrist and thumb of my shooting hand and that makes the .357 a painful handful with full power loads and ammo cost 10 times the cost of the same number in .22 so, living on SS, the cost of practice is prohibitive.

The Sept. American Rifleman has an article on handgun ammo and in that article is a quote by Finn Aagaard "Given sufficient penetration, what does additional bullet weight add to killing power? Nothing, absolutely nothing.". So what is sufficient? The heart, lungs and brain of a man is just a couple of inches below his hide. Several .22's in the heart lung area is going to do a lot of damage. Since they won't be in the same hole, it's posible they will, in concert, do more damage than one CF caliber. A face full of .22's is ging to smart.

I just can't see how anyone can, with a straight face, say that a .22, in the hands of a person that can handle one proficiently, is undergunned.

I can empty either my p22 ,buckmark or MarkIII into a chest size target pretty much as fast as I can pull the trigger.....at a normal fire fight distance.
So that's 10 rounds thru a guy's heart/lungs in a few seconds
May not carry the foot pounds and may not immediately stop the attack,but as JackD says,if it all you can shoot,and you do it very proficiently,makes a great defensive handgun.
Better that hitting the guy with your mail

As does speed and accuracy. What the little ones lack in power, they make up for in speed and accuracy in the hands of an accomplished shooter. If you miss with the first shot with a big gun, your accurate follow-up shots come much slower. Big may work for some, speed and accuracy may work for others.

Carry what works for you and avoid trouble whenever possible so that you may never need to find out which is better. It's really a personal choice based on their own situation and shouldn't affect anyone else outside the sphere of that persons lifestyle.

I can shoot a 9MM +P as fast as a 22

Show me which police dept carries a 22.. or even a .380. And for very good reason

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top