JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was once (early-1980s) one of several people who reported a free-roaming German Shepherd chasing school kids into our yards, nipping a few and leaving contusions on one that I saw. After a few months of this, and my complaints directly to the owner, Animal Control finally took the damn thing away - and hopefully destroyed it.

Well, Floyd pounded on every door on the street, ranting that he was going to "F_ somebody up" once he learned who'd finked him out. Apparently I wasn't home for this but my trembling chickenshjt neighbors told him it was obviously me and then warned me that I should watch out. So from that point forward, I had mutt-looking biker types (no patches) pausing by my driveway daily to give me the manson lamps and then roar away on their crummy half-baked choppers.

Bottom line? I was actually worried because that kind of behavior is typical of people who are not only proud of their vicious animals, but do their personal bidding in rat-packs to skew the odds in their favor in a ruckus. It bothered me for a few months and I was glad I didn't have a wife or kids there (soft targets for cowards). New military orders came up and I moved.

I've always wondered how that might've played itself out if left to smolder. Floyd never confronted me directly, which was probably good for both of us.

Last Edited:
Years ago I was out walking my Neufy puppy for his evening walk when we were attacked by one of the neighbors Pits. We had been threatened by it before and I had warned the dude that if his pit ever attacked, it would not end well, tough guy just laughs and tells me to toughen up my dog, if he cant defend him self, what the hell kind of good is he! So this time he attacked my dog and I tried to step in kicking and swinging the leash like a belt, didn't do any good at all and my pup is getting mauled, so out comes the Compact .45 and a single 230 Gr Golden Saber to the top of the head ended that pit! It stayed latched onto my pup even though it was now dead, and the dude is pitching a fit because I had just smoked his dog, I reminded him that my .45 still had 7 more rounds of hollow points ready to go and he had best STFU and wait till the Sheriff deputies show up! they took one look at the dead Pit with half his head blown off still clamped to my bloody Neuf, and arrested that owner and charged him, we also had to carry both dogs to the vet and have the Pit surgically removed from my poor puppy! The judge found on my side of things, and also cleared me from discharging a firearm in side the city limits, The owner also had to pay for the vet bill which was almost $1800 for surgery and care for several days! Of course he didn't have the money, so the collectors took his Navigator with it's $3000 worth of Donks and rubber bands! I got the bill settled and $2000 for additional care if needed! Neighbor would always give me the stink eye as he drove by, and I always patted my hip in reply! Glad I got the Eff out of Beaverton, never to return!
Gave me an awesome mental visual! :cool:

One of the first "encounters" I ever got on tape was something like that. Ball field, see woman training large Pit. He was sitting at attention while she was picking up some kind of cones. As soon as he saw us he came at a full run. I picked up my dog, she was screaming he was not mean and screaming at him to stop which he ignored. I then pulled a gun which got her screaming more. The only reason the dog is alive is I could 'judge" it was wanting to play. It ran up and jumped up on me trying to lick me. I put the gun away and by then owner caught up and I told her off good. She of course was quite offended, so I pulled out cell phone next. Said no problem I will get an Officer here to explain the law and those signs you ignored. She of course ran to her car with her dog and took off. Now a lot and I do mean a LOT of dog owners like her would drive a block away, call 911 and claim it was all on me. This is where the camera shines. If that happens there is no he said she said.
I have to play the devils advocate here for a moment.
The woman was obviously working on training her dog, she had cones set out at the park. People who are putting time and effort into training their dog tend to be responsible pet owners.
I am a 30 year UPS driver who has had a LOT of dog encounters. One of the rules I follow is to never get angry at a friendly dog. A 100 pound pit bull that is jumping up on me and trying to lick me is a "problem" that I am more than happy to deal with, considering the alternative. If a dog like that is new on my route, my first priority is that it be trained to be nice to the UPS man. The bad behavior, like jumping, can be dealt with later. First impressions are everything, so avoiding conflict with the owner of such a dog is a good idea in order to reinforce the idea in the dogs mind that being friendly to people is a good thing.
I have no problem at all with the idea of confronting irresponsible pet owners, and holding them accountable for their negligence. But if someone is putting time and effort into training their dog, I would be inclined to cut them some slack if the dog is obviously friendly.

I have to play the devils advocate here for a moment.
The woman was obviously working on training her dog, she had cones set out at the park. People who are putting time and effort into training their dog tend to be responsible pet owners.
I am a 30 year UPS driver who has had a LOT of dog encounters. One of the rules I follow is to never get angry at a friendly dog. A 100 pound pit bull that is jumping up on me and trying to lick me is a "problem" that I am more than happy to deal with, considering the alternative. If a dog like that is new on my route, my first priority is that it be trained to be nice to the UPS man. The bad behavior, like jumping, can be dealt with later. First impressions are everything, so avoiding conflict with the owner of such a dog is a good idea in order to reinforce the idea in the dogs mind that being friendly to people is a good thing.
I have no problem at all with the idea of confronting irresponsible pet owners, and holding them accountable for their negligence. But if someone is putting time and effort into training their dog, I would be inclined to cut them some slack if the dog is obviously friendly.

If she was at an off leash park I would not have told her, " I can have an Officer explain the signs you ignored". She walked though a gate with large signs saying what she was doing was illegal. Strike one.
She had a huge pit she could not yet control. Strike 2
She got very hostile to me since she saw the gun come out. Strike 3
Now many who carry would have simply shot her dog. Many who know me criticized me that I did not simply shoot the dog. When a dog that weighs in at around 100#s , which this pit did, you normally do not get a second chance. If they latch on bones break. The only reason it's still alive is my hesitation to kill another dog. I hesitate more with dogs than I would with a human.
So bottom line. Want to train your large dog? Fantastic. There are places for this. She had a car so she could easily drive to one of the many places here that are set up for this. She instead chose to ignore the laws thinking like many do that they do not apply to her. She wants to have a large Pit, great. She needs to learn that this breed has been ruined by morons to the point that even "dog people" like me are VERY on alert when they see one. When one charges across a field at you? Sorry bro but I gave her far more slack than she ever deserved that I took a chance and did not just shoot her dog right then. If I had judged it wrong I would have ended up in the hospital at best. Making excuses for people who do What she did is what leads to people getting mauled.

If she was at an off leash park I would not have told her, " I can have an Officer explain the signs you ignored". She walked though a gate with large signs saying what she was doing was illegal. Strike one.
She had a huge pit she could not yet control. Strike 2
She got very hostile to me since she saw the gun come out. Strike 3
Now many who carry would have simply shot her dog. Many who know me criticized me that I did not simply shoot the dog. When a dog that weighs in at around 100#s , which this pit did, you normally do not get a second chance. If they latch on bones break. The only reason it's still alive is my hesitation to kill another dog. I hesitate more with dogs than I would with a human.
So bottom line. Want to train your large dog? Fantastic. There are places for this. She had a car so she could easily drive to one of the many places here that are set up for this. She instead chose to ignore the laws thinking like many do that they do not apply to her. She wants to have a large Pit, great. She needs to learn that this breed has been ruined by morons to the point that even "dog people" like me are VERY on alert when they see one. When one charges across a field at you? Sorry bro but I gave her far more slack than she ever deserved that I took a chance and did not just shoot her dog right then. If I had judged it wrong I would have ended up in the hospital at best. Making excuses for people who do What she did is what leads to people getting mauled.
Fair enough, I did not realize she was ignoring signs or violating off leash rules.

It amazes me sometimes how little people care for their animals. We were at a baseball tournament this weekend and a sweet old golden from down the street wandered over & stayed all day... WTH were his owners?

That being said I have two boisterous collie mixes who I would have to RUN after if they decided to go say hello while you were riding past, they get into sheep mode and just won't listen.

I think the best thing to do is to go to this dogs owner (now that the incident has already past) and explain why his actions are dangerous both for the dog and for you and the horses. They may not know it's a problem.

That same ball field decade or so back. One day many of us are there with our dogs. There was a Corgi interacting with us all. Many would (illegally) use the place as an off leash park. As long as their dogs behaved I never cared. So after a while it comes out that no one there knows who the Corgi was with. As people left it was just us. The Corgi followed me. So I started asking all I spotted outside, "know where this guy lives?" Finally one pointed to a home she said dog looked like that lived. I knock on the door and sure enough it's theirs. Weeks later I see the same dog. Go back to same house. Owner is out front working. I say found your dog at the ball field.This time he acted like he did not care. I said it's a pure bred expensive dog. You do realize some people will steal anything they think they can get $5 for, he is so friendly he would go with anyone. Guy was easy to see offended that I was telling him. So in the future I ignored the dog when I would see it running loose. Shockingly it took years till it went missing. He was all over the place by car asking for him. Who knows if it was stolen or hit by a car. All I could think was he should not be allowed to own a dog since he seemed to think they were disposable.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top