JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Local Big 5 has Hornady 55gr SP 20/box for $29.99. Ugh! I asked if he sells much and he said yes. I rhetorically replied that there were some desperate folks out there. Yep, he replied. I can't believe people would pay that.

Local Big 5 has Hornady 55gr SP 20/box for $29.99. Ugh! I asked if he sells much and he said yes. I rhetorically replied that there were some desperate folks out there. Yep, he replied. I can't believe people would pay that.

I saw that myself at my local Big 5 and laughed. Although I did scoop up the one and only UMC 9mm Mega Pack.

Big 5 has been consistently almost monthly raising their ammo prices. I can almost always find what I need there but I quit going because of the price and not being desperate.

I was shooting with my nephew a few weeks back and he wanted to shoot my AR. No problem. I handed him a loaded 30rnd mag and watched in horror as he unloaded my handloads from the hip!!!! We immediately had a discussion that I'm pretty sure was completely understood. I made him count the brass as he picked it up. I basically told him "those days are gone!" Now let me stomp on your new Xbox shooter game and we'll be even:) just kidding.
Shooting for "fun" is not possible for most of us now.
Every round down range is one less you could really NEED later on.

I was shooting with my nephew a few weeks back and he wanted to shoot my AR. No problem. I handed him a loaded 30rnd mag and watched in horror as he unloaded my handloads from the hip!!!! We immediately had a discussion that I'm pretty sure was completely understood. I made him count the brass as he picked it up. I basically told him "those days are gone!" Now let me stomp on your new Xbox shooter game and we'll be even:) just kidding.

It is common for someone who is handed a gun to try to empty it. Doesn't matter if its a 5 or 6 shot revolver, Glock 17 with full mag or as mentioned, a fully loaded 30 round AR. Recently when going out shooting, I keep an empty mag for each gun handy, then load the appropriate amount of "test" loads for a friend to fire with the understanding they will shoot till it goes "click".
Hate to have to do that but WT$ !!

I guess it is all a matter of how one is taught. At the age of 7 my father started taking me out shooting. He taught me a lot. It was all about controlled fire, not seeing how fast you could empty the gun. In fact I have had my Win model 1906 since I was 12 and I only found out it could slamfire when I was about 17. A friend brought along his older cousin to go shooting and the cousin had a Win 1890. While we were shooting the cousin started slamfiring his 1890. I was intrigued and asked him if I could try out his rifle to do that and he said why, you can do the same thing with yours. I did it a couple of times for the thrill of it, but never made a habit of it.

Shooting for "fun" is not possible for most of us now.
Maybe high capacity shooting for fun is not possible so, like I posted a while back, hang up the high caps and get into other types of guns. Take out a Winchester or Marlin lever gun or your bolt gun and give real, quality controlled fire a chance (and accuracy too) Start shooting your wheel gun single action and work on shot placement and tighter groups. Isn't this the true tradition and roots of shooting? Personally I do not see the appeal of just emptying mags at nothing and going through a 1000 round case of ammo in a day.

^^^Me either. It's just fun to shoot.

Even in the military, unless we were actively running drills in a live fire shoot house, or MOUT course of some sort, I was always one to reserve ammo and pay attention to hitting the target with as few rounds possible. Mag dumps are not a big deal to me, belt fed stuff is fun though!

Even with my semi-autos now, I will load up 5-20 rounds and focus on fundamentals, thereby making the smallest groups possible. If I've built a new rifle, then yes, I'll do 10-20 rounds of rapid fire to ensure proper operation, or to determine how the weapon behaves (climb, recoil, etc) under that type of firing. I will do quick double tap drills with my pistol, but not in excess.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews