Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Venting

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Kevatc, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Kevatc

Kevatc Oregon Well-Known Member

Local Big 5 has Hornady 55gr SP 20/box for $29.99. Ugh! I asked if he sells much and he said yes. I rhetorically replied that there were some desperate folks out there. Yep, he replied. I can't believe people would pay that.

2. RicInOR

RicInOR Washington County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Yes you can. I am looking for a magazine - list is $29.99 from the manufacturer. On GB, some are north of $100 - even the buy it now price is north of $200.

3. WashCoDad

WashCoDad Beanerton Active Member

Shooting for "fun" is not possible for most of us now.
    Every round down range is one less you could really NEED later on.

4. razormanxx

razormanxx eugene Active Member

Magazine of what?

5. Kruejl

Kruejl Hillsboro Moderator of the Coriolis effect Staff Member Gold Supporter Silver Supporter

I saw that myself at my local Big 5 and laughed. Although I did scoop up the one and only UMC 9mm Mega Pack.

6. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn N.W Oregon coast, Gods country Well-Known Member

I shot a crow this morning,, if it wouldn't have been with a rimfire I'd of dissected it and reloaded the projectile.

bcdon, BigBull 301, Sgt Nambu and 8 others like this.
  7. Scout67

Scout67 Milwaukie Member

Big 5 has been consistently almost monthly raising their ammo prices. I can almost always find what I need there but I quit going because of the price and not being desperate.

8. bellarum

bellarum beaverton Well-Known Member

I was shooting with my nephew a few weeks back and he wanted to shoot my AR. No problem. I handed him a loaded 30rnd mag and watched in horror as he unloaded my handloads from the hip!!!! We immediately had a discussion that I'm pretty sure was completely understood. I made him count the brass as he picked it up. I basically told him "those days are gone!" Now let me stomp on your new Xbox shooter game and we'll be even:) just kidding.

9. RicInOR

RicInOR Washington County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

@razormanxx - s&w m&p full size 9mm 17rnd mags.

There are non s&w to be had, but they don't have a solid reputation.

10. shooter58

shooter58 Vancouver, WA Active Member

It is common for someone who is handed a gun to try to empty it. Doesn't matter if its a 5 or 6 shot revolver, Glock 17 with full mag or as mentioned, a fully loaded 30 round AR. Recently when going out shooting, I keep an empty mag for each gun handy, then load the appropriate amount of "test" loads for a friend to fire with the understanding they will shoot till it goes "click".
    Hate to have to do that but WT$ !!

11. Gaucho Gringo

Gaucho Gringo Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I guess it is all a matter of how one is taught. At the age of 7 my father started taking me out shooting. He taught me a lot. It was all about controlled fire, not seeing how fast you could empty the gun. In fact I have had my Win model 1906 since I was 12 and I only found out it could slamfire when I was about 17. A friend brought along his older cousin to go shooting and the cousin had a Win 1890. While we were shooting the cousin started slamfiring his 1890. I was intrigued and asked him if I could try out his rifle to do that and he said why, you can do the same thing with yours. I did it a couple of times for the thrill of it, but never made a habit of it.

12. Nightcrawler

Nightcrawler Snohomish County, WA Active Member

I ordered three M&P 45 mags on Ebay last Friday (seller was Botach). They arrived Monday, new in S&W packaging .. . paid $23 apiece

13. Nick Burkhardt

Nick Burkhardt NE Oregon Well-Known Member

What was the price?

14. Peteralexander78

Peteralexander78 vancouver Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

I just wish they had 9mm magazines.

15. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

I get to shoot a lot of guns. I take 2 or shots and stop. If I am told to finish the mag or cylinder I do

16. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

Maybe high capacity shooting for fun is not possible so, like I posted a while back, hang up the high caps and get into other types of guns. Take out a Winchester or Marlin lever gun or your bolt gun and give real, quality controlled fire a chance (and accuracy too) Start shooting your wheel gun single action and work on shot placement and tighter groups. Isn't this the true tradition and roots of shooting? Personally I do not see the appeal of just emptying mags at nothing and going through a 1000 round case of ammo in a day.

17. speeddemon94

speeddemon94 The Rogue Well-Known Member

^^^Me either. It's just fun to shoot.

Even in the military, unless we were actively running drills in a live fire shoot house, or MOUT course of some sort, I was always one to reserve ammo and pay attention to hitting the target with as few rounds possible. Mag dumps are not a big deal to me, belt fed stuff is fun though!

Even with my semi-autos now, I will load up 5-20 rounds and focus on fundamentals, thereby making the smallest groups possible. If I've built a new rifle, then yes, I'll do 10-20 rounds of rapid fire to ensure proper operation, or to determine how the weapon behaves (climb, recoil, etc) under that type of firing. I will do quick double tap drills with my pistol, but not in excess.

18. mancat

mancat Kitsap County Well-Known Member

Sounds like the same prices Big 5 has always had IMO. Their prices are all set at the corporate office in California and do not vary state to state.