JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Local Big 5 has Hornady 55gr SP 20/box for $29.99. Ugh! I asked if he sells much and he said yes. I rhetorically replied that there were some desperate folks out there. Yep, he replied. I can't believe people would pay that.

Local Big 5 has Hornady 55gr SP 20/box for $29.99. Ugh! I asked if he sells much and he said yes. I rhetorically replied that there were some desperate folks out there. Yep, he replied. I can't believe people would pay that.

I saw that myself at my local Big 5 and laughed. Although I did scoop up the one and only UMC 9mm Mega Pack.

Big 5 has been consistently almost monthly raising their ammo prices. I can almost always find what I need there but I quit going because of the price and not being desperate.

I was shooting with my nephew a few weeks back and he wanted to shoot my AR. No problem. I handed him a loaded 30rnd mag and watched in horror as he unloaded my handloads from the hip!!!! We immediately had a discussion that I'm pretty sure was completely understood. I made him count the brass as he picked it up. I basically told him "those days are gone!" Now let me stomp on your new Xbox shooter game and we'll be even:) just kidding.
Shooting for "fun" is not possible for most of us now.
Every round down range is one less you could really NEED later on.

I was shooting with my nephew a few weeks back and he wanted to shoot my AR. No problem. I handed him a loaded 30rnd mag and watched in horror as he unloaded my handloads from the hip!!!! We immediately had a discussion that I'm pretty sure was completely understood. I made him count the brass as he picked it up. I basically told him "those days are gone!" Now let me stomp on your new Xbox shooter game and we'll be even:) just kidding.

It is common for someone who is handed a gun to try to empty it. Doesn't matter if its a 5 or 6 shot revolver, Glock 17 with full mag or as mentioned, a fully loaded 30 round AR. Recently when going out shooting, I keep an empty mag for each gun handy, then load the appropriate amount of "test" loads for a friend to fire with the understanding they will shoot till it goes "click".
Hate to have to do that but WT$ !!

I guess it is all a matter of how one is taught. At the age of 7 my father started taking me out shooting. He taught me a lot. It was all about controlled fire, not seeing how fast you could empty the gun. In fact I have had my Win model 1906 since I was 12 and I only found out it could slamfire when I was about 17. A friend brought along his older cousin to go shooting and the cousin had a Win 1890. While we were shooting the cousin started slamfiring his 1890. I was intrigued and asked him if I could try out his rifle to do that and he said why, you can do the same thing with yours. I did it a couple of times for the thrill of it, but never made a habit of it.

Shooting for "fun" is not possible for most of us now.
Maybe high capacity shooting for fun is not possible so, like I posted a while back, hang up the high caps and get into other types of guns. Take out a Winchester or Marlin lever gun or your bolt gun and give real, quality controlled fire a chance (and accuracy too) Start shooting your wheel gun single action and work on shot placement and tighter groups. Isn't this the true tradition and roots of shooting? Personally I do not see the appeal of just emptying mags at nothing and going through a 1000 round case of ammo in a day.

^^^Me either. It's just fun to shoot.

Even in the military, unless we were actively running drills in a live fire shoot house, or MOUT course of some sort, I was always one to reserve ammo and pay attention to hitting the target with as few rounds possible. Mag dumps are not a big deal to me, belt fed stuff is fun though!

Even with my semi-autos now, I will load up 5-20 rounds and focus on fundamentals, thereby making the smallest groups possible. If I've built a new rifle, then yes, I'll do 10-20 rounds of rapid fire to ensure proper operation, or to determine how the weapon behaves (climb, recoil, etc) under that type of firing. I will do quick double tap drills with my pistol, but not in excess.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top