JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A couple of years ago I ordered a 5 or 600 dollar Vortex scope from Midway. It was supposedly sent via UPS. I did receive a package, a very light package. No scope I squawked to both Midway and UPS, both responded very well, both told me it was up to the vendor make it right with me and start an investigation. Midway did that, both Midway and UPS communicated several times with me including my local UPS Route driver.. I did quickly get a replacement (Still not on a Rifle, just got AR'd out for a while). I was made whole again, I was told by Midway thet it happens, but it is rare. they look at their warehouse, packers, shipping agent and then Ups looks at UPS. In my case I got the feeling that both Midway and UPS thought they knew where the problem was, I don't know if they had actionable evidence. I do know that now I am happy.

Beware FedEx's SmartPost option.

This is where the package originates from and may even travel by way of FedEx...but at some point, FedEx hands the package over to USPS to finalize the journey and get out to delivery. I've literally watched my package from the Midwest get flown by FedEx to Portland, but then instead of heading to me out in Beaverton, it was taken to a USPS Distro in Kent, WA for that transition. The package spent a few days in Kent before making its way back to me.

It's become obvious to me that this system is not without its flaws. The handoff from FedEx to USPS takes time. Going out of the way takes time. The only upside to it is that it's a cheaper shipping cost.

There's no doubt guns have disappeared in shipping, but I do not buy a 50% loss rate by USPS.

Fortunately, I've never had a gun lost, but I've had some damaged by USPS.

And I believe too often, their tracking system is a complete dysfunctional waste of time.

And when I've complained to the Post Office, and even to Congress about the downfalls I've experienced with the Postal system, their response is silence.

Something is going on. I currently have two packages that USPS seems to have been sitting on for days. One says it has been in Seattle the past few days. The other has been sitting in Raleigh, North Carolina. Both should have been delivered by the end of last week.

They are government employees with absolutely no way to get fired and most don't care or are covered up by the others. A guy at my shooting club who's father worked for the PO as a carrier would tell tales that would curl your hair about screw ups, stealing mail. just dumping it when they didn't feel like delivering it, etc. Why should they care? They can't get fired, have an international union that covers for them even if they tried to burn the PO down, etc.

And yes, I noticed that mail at times takes days or weeks longer than it should. I mailed an envelope to a town 60 miles away, took 10 days to get there. Another mailed over a week ago that was to go 30 miles isn't there yet! When I lived in a small town the post mistress(es there were several who came and went) were very nice and totally incompetent. MANY packages got to the PO but not to me! One Post mistress came up to me and demanded the locker box key. I never got any locker box key! "Well I put it in your box! See!" Holds up a list of locker keys and the box it was put in like that was proof. Turns out she put MY locker box key in someone else's POB who was out of town or that package would have been stolen too!

Dorian.......caused a lot of problems with the system. At least that is what the e-mails from FedEx and UPS said. As for the USPS?

Well the old USPS ain't the NEW USPS.

What was that creed/motto again?

Aloha, Mark

PS......but today......asking a Postal Service person to adhere to that creed, is like asking your elected representative to "support and defend the Constitution".

And, NOT the Constitution as they think it says......

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, unless I say it's reasonable.

Last Edited:
Anyone else notice that their packages are not being delivered? No tracking updates. Packages appear to just be sitting at distribution centers around the country...
My pistol, "2nd day" or whatever they call it, bounced around Utah for a week before delivery. USPS downhill race is picking up.

Yeah, I have at least one package inbound, it has been at a Eugene facility for two days now, I just checked (through ebay) and tracking is not working. That being said, I ship everything from my business through the USPS and though they have misplaced a few items, they have never permanently lost an item.

Buyers beware, if buying a gun on line it's 50/50 if you receive it. Employees know what to look for, I have had 2 guns that had good tracking numbers then disappear and if the box does arrive the gun case is empty they re-seal the box.

I've bought and sold guns online since the late 90s and run an FFL on the side which is mainly Internet based. Thus far the number of guns that have gone missing in over 20 years is 0%.

Interesting. I just went to check on eBay for some firearm and jewelry items we ordered and all of them show "Tracking isn't available right now. Please try again later." when I click on the track button. o_O

They don't usually go USPS and in Washington I think and Oregon I know, they have to go thru a FFL so they would not come directly to a individual.
I just bought 2 Rugers from gunbroker and they arrived in Mason County (at the FFL's location) in 2 days, no problem.
USPS Priority Mail is usually airmailed

Is it legal to buy a gun through the mail if you aren't an FFL?

Intrastate, it varies. Interstate, it must go to an FFL A non-licensee can send a long gun to an FFL via USPS, but handguns must go by a "common carrier". An FFL can send whatever via the USPS; even if said organization is often staffed with people clueless as to their own regulations. ATF has the rundown here.

Intrastate, it varies. Interstate, it must go to an FFL A non-licensee can send a long gun to an FFL via USPS, but handguns must go by a "common carrier". An FFL can send whatever via the USPS; even if said organization is often staffed with people clueless as to their own regulations. ATF has the rundown here.
I seriously doubt that gunbroker would allow their sellers to skirt the law

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top