JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yeah I may not know everything involved behind the scene but I do know we are usually done with paperwork and finger prints within 10 minutes and most of the time is just waiting for the background to clear. I did a transaction yesterday at a shop and it was the first time I've seen the guy working there actually have to call the background check in. He did twice as much work as everywhere else I've got a gun from and only charged $25 which I was happy to pay but it was still a pretty quick process. Let's not pretend like it's rocket surgery though. The gun business is a hard one to make a living on. I've been told by guys in shops before they don't make hardly any money selling guns but that most of their income comes from the accessories and such. But that doesn't mean they have to price gouge the bubblegum out of us wanting to do a private sell just because we are forced to by law. Lots of face to face bill of sale transfers still happening because of this and I don't blame anyone for doing it.

Folks who charge a lot, simply would rather not do the transfers IMO. They will likely not last very long, simple foot traffic plus word of mouth.

Folks who charge $25 are probably not making much money on it, (what? they "make" $15–whoopdie doo) but it's an OK "filler" kind of thing.

Think about the cost of leasing the space, having insurance, paying utilities, having computers, inventory, safe(s), security, then they need to maintain that information meticulously.

The idea of spreading out a dealer's overall cost of doing business on everyone is WRONG plain and simple.
Ever bought a car, clothes, gasoline, or eaten at a fast food restaurant? In fact, have you ever engaged in the local economy in any way whatsoever? If so, congratulations, you have helped pay for someone's overall cost of doing business while at the same time providing them a slight profit. In return you have gained things you wanted and/or needed without having to make them yourself.

That's how capitalism works.

Start a business, any business, and you'll soon realize the absurdity of your above quote.

It's your choice where and with whom you do business, but it helps to understand the forces that drive prices and costs.

I haven't sold a gun since the law changed, because I don't want to deal with the hassle of taking time off from work to drive to an FFL. I use to just have buyers come and meet me here at my work, which was very easy. If they no-show it's not a huge deal. But I can't take time off from work on a "maybe" sale. What I do now instead is consign at the FFL and just wait for a phone call. A little more money in the gun shop's pocket, but I don't mind. Those guys do it for the love of the hobby - they're not getting rich by any means. I never see new pickup trucks in front of a gun shop, only old ones!

Back to the original topic of used gun prices, I AM disturbed by the high prices of some used guns. I desperately "need" a Spencer Repeater Carbine. Generally north of $2k. Outta reach for me. I mean come on, they're OLD, no warranty or factory support. Heck you can't even find ammo for one outside of old collector stuff that are probably all duds!
They oughta be CHEAP! :)o_O;)

Just heard from a friend that the ATF just showed up at the Shop where he's employed. Another of the enjoyable things an FFL Dealer gets to have happen. :D:D:D

Oh yeah I forgot to mention how much business is going on during one of those visits. Amazing how fast Customers can disappear at a time like this.

Ever bought a car, clothes, gasoline, or eaten at a fast food restaurant? In fact, have you ever engaged in the local economy in any way whatsoever? If so, congratulations, you have helped pay for someone's overall cost of doing business while at the same time providing them a slight profit. In return you have gained things you wanted and/or needed without having to make them yourself.

That's how capitalism works.

Start a business, any business, and you'll soon realize the absurdity of your above quote.

It's your choice where and with whom you do business, but it helps to understand the forces that drive prices and costs.
Yeabut in Venezuela everything's free! Too bad for them there's no "things". lol

If you don't like firearms that have been built, customized etc, Please don't belittle others that do. What I find most troubling is that people are willing to go out their way to give you a hard time if you are selling something they dont like. I almost always try and give people a deal they can walk away happy about, because I know that is the kinda feeling I like having after making a deal.

Back to the original topic of used gun prices, I AM disturbed by the high prices of some used guns. I desperately "need" a Spencer Repeater Carbine. Generally north of $2k. Outta reach for me. I mean come on, they're OLD, no warranty or factory support. Heck you can't even find ammo for one outside of old collector stuff that are probably all duds!
They oughta be CHEAP! :)o_O;)

Ownerus; Now that's what I like to see, a guy with imagination:s0133:
No class but imagination!

Sweet!:D

I operate on the "Buy high, sell low" program....

Not by choice, Just seems to be the way it works.
LOL. Don't I know that one....
  • Had a P7M13 Nickel. First wife insisted I sell all my guns. I begged to keep that one. Nope. Sold it for $1,350, two weeks later, HK announced the end of that line. I've seen them upwards of $5K for that very model. In the long run, that's nothing. In the last three years, I've spent >$15K on legal fees, taking her to court....
  • Wife #2 needed a series of MRIs. With deductibles at $1,700, those MRIs were 'spensive! Sold the P7PSP for $750, I'd be lucky to find one for < $1,500 nowadays.
  • The guns I've paid way too much for, I've given away. That way, there's no sting to the purchase/sold differential. All others, I've sold for within ±$200 of what I paid for them.
  • In the long run, the guns are like razor handles. It's the ammo that has cost over 5X the amount I've spent on the guns....

If you don't like firearms that have been built, customized etc, Please don't belittle others that do. What I find most troubling is that people are willing to go out their way to give you a hard time if you are selling something they dont like. I almost always try and give people a deal they can walk away happy about, because I know that is the kinda feeling I like having after making a deal.
Some of the shiƬ folks offer is ridiculous: a BCM Ambi Charging Handle, NiBo BCG and Geissele trigger adds $1,500 to the value of a meh AR. I ignore, but a lot of the time, I scratch my head and wonder, WTF ???

I have to say that I have paid more for used firearms at times than what they are worth. But they were worth it to me. I get it for some prices are high and those sellers are willing to hold on to the firearms until someone wants what they have. Custom designed or custom built firearms are at times extremely difficult to sell. Think about it... say @Stomper has an AR that has a graveyard scene and on the headstone it says "here lies insert your name here". ;)
Not everyone wants that. Or like me, I personally don't want a hello kitty AR. o_O
But hey someone else may. Or I am not a big fan of Giessele triggers. I like them but prefer Timney.

I realize that Molot Vepr are now banned from import but I am not going to buy one for $2000. My thought is that if I am not going to shoot it then no point in having it. This has nothing to do with Curio & Relics. I can't afford those anyway.

I'll sell you this one for $55,000.... only been fired once. ;)

E7CBD715-EE89-41B2-AE5B-934C49A5AC0F.jpeg

Several of the Posts here have mentioned "Customized" Guns and since I spent some time in that very business I'm going to comment. I spent many hours telling my customers that while I was willing to do the work they wanted but that I felt it was my job to let them know they weren't likely to get the money they were spending back out of the Firearm. I will say that a good Action job is often going to pay off because most people would like a nicer than Factory Trigger Pull. That's especially true of Revolver and Pistol shooters. I think that the least value for your Dollars is Custom Stock work on Rifles. And on a Shotgun I believe it's a total waste of Dollars to anyone other than the original owner. A properly fitted Shotgun Stock is worth it's weight in Gold! And that's especially true when the Shotgun has been modified for Cast-off or Cast-on. About the only Stock work that is worth the money is the addition of a Quality Recoil Pad.

I've stretched this out long enough for now. Maybe more later.:):):)

This thread usually raises it's head every couple of years.
I'm occasionally stunned by the prices that some folks are asking for their firearms. I fell like posting something on their ad that says, "are you completely nuts?" Guns go up in value if they're rare highly desirable or unusual. A Ruger 10/22 doesn't fall into any of those categories. Perhaps some of the sellers got "hosed" when they bought their gun.
I have a friend with over 1,500 guns that he has bought at garage sales, close-outs, etc. and he calls them his "retirement." I've seen him ask more than retail for really ordinary used guns. You can buy a new one for less than he is asking. But, eventually, he will find a sucker or someone lacking knowledge and he'll go to town on them. I still shop on this sight but it's amazing how often I just head over to Bi-Mart and purchase a new one.
The only real bright spot right now is watching the guys that bought up all the .22 ammo and were ripping folks off at double and triple the price. Now they are just trying to get back what they paid and having a tough time doing that. Too bad, so sad.
I'm now done venting. Thank you for your kind attention.
Well you buy a 10/22 for 300 bucks and a month later some anti gun dumb a$$ gets on TV holds up a 10/22 and says we are going to ban semi auto guns like this your 300 dollar gun just became a 1000 dollar gun LOL

I dont know where you live or what kind of FFL's you deal with.... But I have never seen anyone get rich selling guns. I have a good friend who has one of the nicest gun shops around. He sells roughly $50,000 worth of guns a month, on most he makes 10-20%... When you take out the cost of his shop, the power bill and wages he pays.. There is not much left.

And don't forget insurance. It is sky high in comparison to other businesses, both liability and theft.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top