JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When I sell, something here I put it up for what I feel is a fair price, but always go for best offer as well. most of my sales have been that way. I think a big thing I have noticed is no one knows how to haggle anymore, or they are dealers looking to buy stuff super cheap.

I'm in the camp that any person can ask anything they want for their own property. So what if someone else thinks it's too much - what's it to you? If you don't like the price, don't buy it, just move on. Whatever it is, you can find it somewhere else at a price you do like. I just don't see getting worked up over what other people do with their own stuff - it's none of my business. If someone can sell a Gen 3 Glock 19 for $800, then good for them, and bad for the person that paid too much. Free market - know what something's worth before you buy, if you pay too much, it's not the seller's fault.

Caveat emptor and all that ;)

It used to be that part of the value of buying a gun on the site didn't require all the paper work. A face to face transfer with people you knew was worth something.
Since the laws changed to require all transactions go thru an ffl it's a loss. Prices received dropped. Many sellers haven't adjusted to that. Plus some popular models have dropped in price like the shields.

Where I was more likely to buy on site now I'm equally likely to buy new.

The price of used guns are driven by market factors, just like any other commodity.
When I was young about the only way to see used guns was to visit gun shows, or an LGS. This set the prices very locally. A large town in a free state would have a large supply, and small towns in more restricted areas less supply and Higher prices. The internet has opened that market to where I can buy and sell anywhere in the country. And has leveled the prices across the country.

We have also had several presidents that were very restrictive about letting into the country Milsurp guns. And this drives up their prices. Who would have thought that the M1 carbines that I paid $100 or less for would be worth what they are today! Or the SKS's that I bought for $49 ea!
Now let this president open our borders to new imports, and watch those prices plummet!

The same rules apply to commercial guns. I can buy a new axxis hunting rifle far cheaper than I could build one . To their credit they are selling a very good gun that does everything that it needs to do. So all steel and wood guns are going into closets and their prices are going up.
If this president stopped the imports from China, Guns like the Axxis would go away . and the all american guns prices would go up.

One thing I have noticed about used guns, The profit margin must not be that high or we would see more LGS's specializing in just used guns. Fear must be causing people to hang on to them, and this just drives the price up!

South Korea has been trying to sell us their supply of WWII Garands, M1, carbines, and 1911s, etc... It will be interesting to see what happens if Trump allows this sale, and what happens to the collector market when they flood in!

And if those are let in ,what else will become available at bargain prices? DR

The price of used guns are driven by market factors, just like any other commodity....
Very true. At least in the realm of no-longer-in-production stuff, the supply is fixed and the demand (assuming it's good quality or historically interesting etc.) will continue to increase. I like the statement I once heard regarding collectibles: "you can never pay too much, you can only pay too soon". I have found this to be generally true although, granted, much of the "increase" may just be inflation.

I've sold a few pistols to fund a few new pistols. My XD40, Rock Island and Sigma all sold quickly to friends at a very fair price. All still friends of mine.
I want to sell a S&W 5906 but it's not 100% yet. The only gun I ever had that wasn't right and I've bought several used. The issue doesn't show itself all the time but the seller knew it. Gun Broker.

It's hard to haggle someone down these days. Most people really think they should get what they paid for their gun. Reality is if I'm a buyer and I'm paying ffl fees which is almost always the case, then after that the price is within $20 of the gun new, why should I buy it from you? While I'd like to think most people are honest for all anyone knows your selling the gun because it malfunctions like crazy. I'd rather just shell out the extra $20 or $30 and buy a new one. Not your used one that who knows what you've done to it. But go ahead, list your glocks for $500-$550, just don't be shocked when you get what you consider low ball offers or it doesn't sell at all.

Fish...
You've hit one of the reasons I will be going to the WAC Gunshow in Puyallup next weekend. They've gotten a couple of FFL Dealers to provide transfers for a flat rate of $10.00 which is a steal. They're also offering anyone who, comes in and buys a gun, a free membership - if you pass the background check which is part of being a member.

Dang flat $10 transfer, that's awesome. Honestly it shouldn't be more than $20 total for a transfer and background check. Your literally just filling out paperwork. They request the check but it's not more than just a couple minutes of work on their part. There's a gun shop in my area that charges $50 if you buy a gun online and ship it to their shop, and they refuse to do private transfers altogether. My guess is though that people that list their guns for near new prices don't really want to sell them, and probably won't. Owell.

Unfortunately, most people don't realize how much time is actually involved in the paperwork that an FFL has to do. It's not just the 4473 but the bound book as well. And, Heaven help you if there's a mistake - because the BATFE sure isn't. I will admit if you have the New software, the process is much easier. BUT, then the software ain't cheap and that kind of thing has to be paid for some how. I'm very sure the folks at WAC aren't making money off these transactions.

The Guy who says he makes money in the gun business charging 10% is just kidding himself. I don't think there is a single business that can actually make money only charging 10%. Think about it.

Yeah I may not know everything involved behind the scene but I do know we are usually done with paperwork and finger prints within 10 minutes and most of the time is just waiting for the background to clear. I did a transaction yesterday at a shop and it was the first time I've seen the guy working there actually have to call the background check in. He did twice as much work as everywhere else I've got a gun from and only charged $25 which I was happy to pay but it was still a pretty quick process. Let's not pretend like it's rocket surgery though. The gun business is a hard one to make a living on. I've been told by guys in shops before they don't make hardly any money selling guns but that most of their income comes from the accessories and such. But that doesn't mean they have to price gouge the bubblegum out of us wanting to do a private sell just because we are forced to by law. Lots of face to face bill of sale transfers still happening because of this and I don't blame anyone for doing it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top