JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This thread usually raises it's head every couple of years.
I'm occasionally stunned by the prices that some folks are asking for their firearms. I fell like posting something on their ad that says, "are you completely nuts?" Guns go up in value if they're rare highly desirable or unusual. A Ruger 10/22 doesn't fall into any of those categories. Perhaps some of the sellers got "hosed" when they bought their gun.
I have a friend with over 1,500 guns that he has bought at garage sales, close-outs, etc. and he calls them his "retirement." I've seen him ask more than retail for really ordinary used guns. You can buy a new one for less than he is asking. But, eventually, he will find a sucker or someone lacking knowledge and he'll go to town on them. I still shop on this sight but it's amazing how often I just head over to Bi-Mart and purchase a new one.
The only real bright spot right now is watching the guys that bought up all the .22 ammo and were ripping folks off at double and triple the price. Now they are just trying to get back what they paid and having a tough time doing that. Too bad, so sad.
I'm now done venting. Thank you for your kind attention.

I agree 100%......people dont realize that it's only worth what other people are willing to pay, like real estate.....and that may take time......a lot if you waiting for 1-2 yrs.

I can go to Walmart and get CCI Stingers for $0.049 versus someones $0.059 Federal bulk... not even shipped

I agree 100%......people dont realize that it's only worth what other people are willing to pay, like real estate.....and that may take time......a lot if you waiting for 1-2 yrs.

I can go to Walmart and get CCI Stingers for $0.049 versus someones $0.059 Federal bulk... not even shipped
I bought 250 rounds in 50 round boxes today for $2.97 ea. I'm going "plinking" in the morning with a grandson.

I seen a guy here yesterday sell a NIB Ruger 556 for $350 but I hear ya.
And about your friend with 1500 guns, dollars to donuts, he'll die with his hoard and it'll be donated to the Goodwill. It's a lot of work to sell even one gun these days, I think he's really just kidding himself.

Used gun prices depend on many variables:
What you are selling...
Actual condition of item , versus what the seller thinks the condition is...
Where you are selling...
When you are selling...
Just how the "buyer" questions the pricing...

As for guns as investments ( money wise ) I think it is risky at best.
Prices and desirability of guns change....And even if you have a like new in box gun or one from a high quality maker in like new shape....Just finding a buying or someone interested in your used gun , can be difficult.
Guns as investments for "fun" , history , or other "real world" intended use , I find are far more worthwhile.
Andy

These days I only buy guns, I don't sell them, and I only straight across traded one once.

-I sold a PolyTech AKM for double what I paid... regret it.

-I gave a Ruger GP100 to a clergyman as a gift years ago... regret it.

-I gave a Ruger 45LC Blackhawk to a close friend years ago... regret it.

-I traded a Ruger Mini-14 for an AKM... that one I don't regret!

-I have a Taurus MilPro PT145... collects dust, but I'll never sell it.

Now I'm the "Hotel California" of guns, once you enter you never leave. ;)

Only gun I ever sold that I didn't regret was a Beretta PX4 sub compact 9...sub compact my arse. My G17 is more comfortable to carry! I sold it for a very fair price to cover an LCP2 that is my constant companion.

Maybe for some...they post a gun to appease the wife knowing it's priced too high to sell. Just as the guys at the gun shows that tag thier collections at museum prices. No intention of selling, but they can show off thier toys and write off travel expenses etc.

Now I'm the "Hotel California" of guns, once you enter you never leave. ;)

Yup.

Not going to sell if I can help it. I don't need to now or in the foreseeable future, so just going to hang on to what I have. I don't really need a fourth of the guns I have, but I know I will regret selling them if I do - so just going to hang on to them. When I retire I hope to have more time to shoot them.

Before the BGC laws I was willing to pay retail or maybe even more to buy a used gun off the books, but not now.

And yet, there are still people selling used guns for retail or more (whether NIB or "never fired" - doesn't matter, I don't know for sure what you claim is true, I've never met you before, I don't know you from Adam).

The ones I really roll my eyes at are the 'custom' guns, especially the ones where someone has painted their gun with a spray can.:rolleyes:

Then there are the 'rare' guns that are not rare.

Same with ammo. Most of the ammo I see for sale is priced above what I can buy it shipped to my door.

---

That said, guns that are not made anymore or truly rare, that appeal to me, I may pay extra for, but OTOH, my checking account is at its lowest in over a year so I am cutting back on purchases - or trying to (hard to stop once you get going).

On the other other hand, there are some good deals that come up and many are hard to resist.

Ultimately stuff is worth whatever the market is willing to bear. A big part of the problem is that people somehow actually pay 90%+ of new price for used stuff. Lack of research probably contributes.

Before the BGC laws I was willing to pay retail or maybe even more to buy a used gun off the books, but not now.

And yet, there are still people selling used guns for retail or more (whether NIB or "never fired" - doesn't matter, I don't know for sure what you claim is true, I've never met you before, I don't know you from Adam).

The ones I really roll my eyes at are the 'custom' guns, especially the ones where someone has painted their gun with a spray can.:rolleyes:

Then there are the 'rare' guns that are not rare.

Same with ammo. Most of the ammo I see for sale is priced above what I can buy it shipped to my door.

---

That said, guns that are not made anymore or truly rare, that appeal to me, I may pay extra for, but OTOH, my checking account is at its lowest in over a year so I am cutting back on purchases - or trying to (hard to stop once you get going).

On the other other hand, there are some good deals that come up and many are hard to resist.

Kinda covered all the bases with that one.

And I say, if ya don't like the price, keep walking. If you're not a buyer, it doesn't matter what a guy asks. This site has more flakes per capita than any site I use, and these same flakes are the loudest voices when they don't approve of a price. On the other hand, if you are a serious buyer, talk to the seller behind the scenes and state your case.

There are lots of reasons why a guy prices his wares too high. And yep, some fellers price their stuff too high just because they don't know any better, or just because they are hoping for an uneducated buyer. Other prices might seem high, as an item is generally unavailable, or unavailable in some areas, or for whatever reason instantly more desirable than they used to be. Maybe the seller knows his item has been recently discontinued. Anyway...

Let the buyers market sort out the overpriced items. If they are truly overpriced, they simply wont sell, and the seller will have to figure it out for himself. But if you're not buying anyway, don't lose any hair over someones pricing. If you are, make an offer behind the scenes. And don't crap all over someones ad.

Three places I see over priced guns. Gun shows, gun shops, and pawn shops. But I'm sure not gonna go down the racks pointing out each gun that is overpriced, but if I was serious about a certain item, I would inquire about an adjusted price. Really simple, and I sleep better.

Last Edited:
Since I594 I think a lot of folks in Washington have decided to keep their unregistered guns whether they like them or not.

The guns I would sell and wouldn't miss, wouldn't bring enough money to merit selling them anyway.

Since the human race has a 100% mortality rate, All my guns will eventually go to my Kids and grand kids.

Maybe someday a Mossberg 500 will be a really cool old gun to my grand kids, or they will wear it out trap shooting and bird hunting. Either makes me happy to think about.

The classic, & collectible market is doing quite well with prices rising on some 'key' pieces. Pre 64 Winchesters, JM Marlins and pre 80's S & Ws (some) are still very desirable and sell quickly.

Let the buyers market sort out the overpriced items. If they are truly overpriced, they simply wont sell, and the seller will have to figure it out for himself. But if you're not buying anyway, don't lose any hair over someones pricing. If you are, make an offer behind the scenes. And don't crap all over someones ad.

I don't post in an ad unless I have a question or a comment on how the seller might improve their ad with more info/etc., and only once did I comment about the price (I posted a link to a thread like this one in one seller's thread who is always asking considerably more than retail {and still does} - I shouldn't have and I have not since).

Some people just like to b*** about this issue. I just like to make observations.

I have sometimes paid more than I should have because I got excited and did not do my due diligence - mea culpa. But I've also gotten some decent deals too when I jumped on one quickly - usually a good deal does not last long, so it pays to know the value of something beforehand and whether you really want it or not.

If a person is looking to buy a particular item, having the patience to wait for a good deal on that item can pay off - but you also need to check the ads often and be ready to pounce.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews