JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
FD, thanks for clarifying that, its a little over my head but it still doesnt sound like the LEO has any different rules when it comes to using deadly force.

there are precedents that establish when it is okay for the LEOs to violate your rights.
Usually such precedents stem from the the public benefit outweighing individual rights (order vs freedom).

The individual is a precedent to any government. That is why whatever you're talking about don't matter in the big scheme of things. Do you see any rush for everyone to start obeying a new found precedent (government) that does not precede the individual? Nope, and people will continue to do what they do. What do you suppose that is? Everything

I don't foresee any government ever catching more than 1% of criminal acts that occur in their population. Not with any population that has over 100 million individuals.

In researching Oregon a bit, it looks from the outset that its a bit more broad than Washington.

I'll be meeting with some attorneys that are versed in use of force within the next few weeks to get a better handle on Oregon law.

Washington mirrors Tenn v Garner almost to the letter, whereas Oregon allows for more citizen interaction.

Am wanting to get some court approved direction on this, so I can be more of service to those in Oregon.

I teach deadly force law in WA. for LE, but need to get a better handle on Oregon, since I'm right on the border.

In researching Oregon a bit, it looks from the outset that its a bit more broad than Washington.

I'll be meeting with some attorneys that are versed in use of force within the next few weeks to get a better handle on Oregon law.

Washington mirrors Tenn v Garner almost to the letter, whereas Oregon allows for more citizen interaction.

Am wanting to get some court approved direction on this, so I can be more of service to those in Oregon.

I teach deadly force law in WA. for LE, but need to get a better handle on Oregon, since I'm right on the border.

What was the outcome of your meeting? Did you discuss the use of force?

I met briefly with two, but figured I have enough on my plate with WA. state law. It will take awhile before I versed enough with it to be able to come from a SME point of view.

Am trying to make an impact on LEO's about the use of deadly force. That taking the avenue of getting the job done at the lowest level possible should be a mind set...but sometime the public has other ideas. Also WA. State law allows for quite a bit of room for the LE to operate.

One place to search is various local news papers for homeowner, renter or business owner self defense shootings. See if charges were pressed against the people who shot in self defense. That might give you an idea of what local law enforcement officials are thinking.

I do remember over the years several self defense shootings where charges were never pressed. I have also heard several interviews by (I think, please don't quote me) either King County Sheriff John Urquhart or maybe the King County Prosecutor spell it out.

Pleas note I am in Washington State.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top