JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
But I'd still rather have 15 or 17 than 7 or 8

ETA
We shouldn't go here

:)
Really, at the end of the day it's all about what best fits the needs of the individual shooter--I've seen some people shoot best with 9mm G17s, others with .45 1911's, still others with .357 revolvers.

As I always say, this isn't a One Size Fits All game... :)

I remember shooting the old clapped out 1911's in the military.
And I remember all the changes in the late 80's.

The M-16 A2 was something I did like.
I went down and bought one. At least an AR-15 version.

I believe it was on post in Furth Germany.

It feels like a long time ago?
It was a century or more ago in dog-years... time does fly!
After carrying and using 1911's half my life, getting used to my Glock 21 was no thang.. there are strengths and weaknesses in both, goes without sayin...

Last Edited:
Personal choice. Having shot both I would choose the Beretta. I like the way it shoots better, I like the way it feels in my hand better and I think its just a better pistol. Everyone is entitled to there own opinion and that is mine. ;):D

Of course. I was just asking for my own knowledge. :)

It was all the craze in the 1980's when it came out: the Glock 17.

What did our military stupidly do to replace the venerable old Colt 45's? They brought in this crappy Beretta 92/M9 thing. My brother who was in the army said he once tried to clean one for a woman officer in the field because the barrel developed rust in short order with just a little rain. He wasn't even trained in field-stripping the pistol so he had improvise by removing as much surface rust as he could. He said it was crap. The M9 barrel exterior is exposed on top, not even covered by the slide completely as is the Glock, Colt 45 and many other handguns.

If the US military were any smarter, they would have contracted with Glock right off the bat. Special or elite units have adopted the Glock as their sidearm over the years but this wonder still has yet to be accepted as America's standard-issue sidearm. Glock is a favorite among 75% of US cop shops.

The problem was we needed missile bases in Italy so adopting Berettas helped seal the deal.

Loved the 25-year old c-rat cigs. Traded them for 25-year old pound cake.

vietnam-war-era-army-issue-ration_1_cc766268e84647abe5a0b9adb6da751f.jpg

Last Edited:
It was all the craze in the 1980's when it came out: the Glock 17.

What did our military stupidly do to replace the venerable old Colt 45's? They brought in this crappy Beretta 92/M9 thing. My brother who was in the army said he once tried to clean one for a woman officer in the field because the barrel developed rust in short order with just a little rain. He wasn't even trained in field-stripping the pistol so he had improvise by removing as much surface rust as he could. He said it was crap. The M9 barrel exterior is exposed on top, not even covered by the slide completely as is the Glock, Colt 45 and many other handguns.

If the US military were any smarter, they would have contracted with Glock right off the bat. Special or elite units have adopted the Glock as their sidearm over the years but this wonder still has yet to be accepted as America's standard-issue sidearm. Glock is a favorite among 75% of US cop shops.

Honestly they are all just glock copies these days, save revolvers.... striker fired, break down nearly the exact same.

My low speed high drag opinion that no one has asked for:

The military will provide you with everything that they think you will need to complete the mission, and they will make you carry a bunch of extra crap you think is unnecessary.:oops:

If you do well enough in your assigned role, they will procure items outside the normal supply chain...most of the time you just have to ask, provide a reason, and be willing to obtain the training and qualification. If there is an NSN, there is a way.:cool:

If you shoot well and shoot consistently, they will keep handing you firearms until they find one you suck at operating.:confused:

The military loves redundancies. The Glock is too simple, it needed more safeties. It doesn't weigh enough and it can't be used to drive T-Bar posts. Military items require sharp edges on everything, points that will pinch you, and operation techniques that will leave a lasting reminder when you incorrectly insert your thumb. What does it take?...15 seconds to clean a Glock? Think of all the free time those pistol packers would have to get into trouble. The Glock is too simple.... And it is plastic.:p

I think the only reason I was issued an M9 was so that when the LT lost his...there would be one available.:D

The Plastic Fantastics are fine, they shoot well enuff and can be very reliable.. I carry one.. that said, I have also carried 1911's that have been thru world wars, Pacific Theater, etc.. and they looked a bit crappy on the outside but were still solid shooters and still accurizable. Will my Glock 21 be able to be the same 100 years after it's manufacture? Time will tell- I rather doubt it. JMO&E, YMMV!
There is no God but God, and John Moses Browning is his prophet! :D

Last Edited:
I would take the Beretta over a Glock any day. Especially my Wilson Combat Beretta. Having served I wouldn't have wanted the glock as my side arm if given the choice.
Yep.
WC Brig Tac is a grail gun.
Even my 92A1 is pretty damn nice.
Just inserting the mag into one of those Italians is like a sexual experience.
92S with an original mag is instant wood, BTW.
I wanna a have a cigarette every time I do it.

:D

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads