JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It was all the craze in the 1980's when it came out: the Glock 17.

What did our military stupidly do to replace the venerable old Colt 45's? They brought in this crappy Beretta 92/M9 thing. My brother who was in the army said he once tried to clean one for a woman officer in the field because the barrel developed rust in short order with just a little rain. He wasn't even trained in field-stripping the pistol so he had improvise by removing as much surface rust as he could. He said it was crap. The M9 barrel exterior is exposed on top, not even covered by the slide completely as is the Glock, Colt 45 and many other handguns.

If the US military were any smarter, they would have contracted with Glock right off the bat. Special or elite units have adopted the Glock as their sidearm over the years but this wonder still has yet to be accepted as America's standard-issue sidearm. Glock is a favorite among 75% of US cop shops.

What did our military stupidly do to replace the venerable old Colt 45's? They brought in this crappy Beretta 92/M9 thing. My brother who was in the army said he once tried to clean one for a woman officer in the field because the barrel developed rust in short order with just a little rain. He wasn't even trained in field-stripping the pistol so he had improvise by removing as much surface rust as he could. He said it was crap. The M9 barrel exterior is exposed on top, not even covered by the slide completely as is the Glock, Colt 45 and many other handguns.

If the US military were any smarter, they would have contracted with Glock right off the bat. Special or elite units have adopted the Glock as their sidearm over the years but this wonder still has yet to be accepted as America's standard-issue sidearm. Glock is a favorite among 75% of US cop shops.

You will get some pushback on this one.
As you know, there are Glock Lovers and Glock Haters out there.
And the same for the Beretta 92.

I have scratch-built (er...um...assembled) Glocks and P320's (.mil's new sidearm).
I like that P320.

Everyone has their favorites.

A few things about this, as I was in the Army during that period when all the new whiz-bang "new stuff" was being worked into supply chain... K-pot helmets, PASGT Kevlar body armor, M16A2's, "speed lace" boots, the Hum-V, AT-4 rocket launcher, M9 pistol, etc.

In fact, my first real world deployment (as a newly promoted PFC... LOL) was literally using mostly Vietnam era kit and weapons.

My initial reactions when the G17 came out was:

That is the FUGLIEST pistol ever made, I'm still not fond of the G17 aesthetics, actually.

It's made of plastic? Fail!

No external safety, and if snagged by an adversary could just pick it up and shoot you with it? FAIL!

Did I mention it was FUGLY, made of plastic, and had no external safety? LOL.

I carried the 1911A1 in the jungles down south of our borders (mine was a Remington) that essentially had all the parkerizing worn off down to bare metal, and we all had to keep our weapons lightly coated with that new-fangled Break-Fee CLP that was the newest whiz-bang miracle all-in-one juice. Our basic load out for the 1911 was 3-5 magazines, just 21-35 rounds. I still didn't feel "under armed" and was ready to fight anyone or anything with it (plus I had 210 rounds for my M16, or I was packing an M60 MG... LOL)

The "handgun philosophy"'of the 80's was also DA/SA hammer-fired was the ultimate pinnacle of combat handgun evolution, and this "new-dangled" striker-fired stuff was LAME.

Now, if little miss "2Lt Banana Titties" couldn't keep up with the simple procedure of weapons maintenance, then she was the epitome of my general opinion of Jr. (and a lot of senior) officers....

I even purchased my own 92F back in 87' (or was it '88?, LOL)... it was beautiful, the slide felt like it rode on ball bearings, and I even carried it while on PSD duty for the CINC of USAREUR/7th Army. It was the only personal handgun I owned for many, many years... I still own it as a matter of fact. ;)

I also own a few revolvers from Ruger & S&W, one 1911A1 (nostalgic reasons), and a (cough-cough) Taurus PT-145.

Having said all that.... over the last 10yrs I have acquired a G19.3, G19.4, G30.2.5, G43, G43X, and a G44 (which I haven't even shot yet, LOL)

My daily carry is a Glock. Although I'm not "stupid" about it, I'm a "glocktard". The manual of arms, take-down and maintenance is all the same, spare parts and support is ubiquitous and affordable, they're reliable.... so yeah, Glocks rule.... but I don't (nor most likely ever will) own a G17, LOL!

Last Edited:
the main problem was that glock couldn't compete in the trials and that is how the decisions were made. Still are. At the time Glock was still new and did not have the production capacity required. There was too much retooling needed and they couldn't do it in time. They went for cops and it was a way better outcome for them.

The 92 is junk for a military weapon, build quality not withstanding.

the main problem was that glock couldn't compete in the trials and that is how the decisions were made. Still are. At the time Glock was still new and did not have the production capacity required. There was too much retooling needed and they couldn't do it in time. They went for cops and it was a way better outcome for them.

The 92 is junk for a military weapon, build quality not withstanding.

35+ years later, the tried-and-true Glock has yet to become the STANDARD sidearm of our Armed Services. Many an American GI are clamoring for them though. What was the cop film in the 1990's that had this line something like: "get rid of that chrome 45 and get yourself a Glock!" Glocks were touted by the American LE community like SB preachers wave a bible in church. I once knew a blue-collar middle-age guy from the south that packed some kind of Colt pistol. I asked him what he thought about Glock when we were gun-talking one day. He said he didn't know a Glock from a clock. A bumper-bright-chrome pistol looks pimpish, like something Al Capone's boys packed.

Last Edited:
Hey Stomper. I bet your 1911 A1 was a Remington Rand. Not the same company as Remington.
As a matter of fact they didn't make guns before the 1911 A1. They made typewriters.

As to what the Army adopts?
Who cares! Their not handing me weapons saying ''Here you go'' any more.

I get what I think is best these days.
And it doesn't come from the lowest bidder.

Last Edited:

When you get a Gov agency involved in what to buy it is often a mess. The larger the agency the worse it is often. The US military is quite famous for some of the more interesting choices they have made over the years.:D

Hey Stomper. I your 1911 A1 was a Remington Rand. Not the same company as Remington.
As a matter of fact they didn't make guns before the 1911 A1. They made typewriters.

As to what the Army adopts?
Who cares! Their not handing me weapons saying ''Here you go'' any more.

I get what I think is best these days.
And it doesn't come from the lowest bidder.

Yes... it was a "Remington Rand", I'm pretty sure mine was a recycled broken 10-key machine (remember those? LOL) that was missing three keys, because it only held 7 rounds... :D

I remember shooting the old clapped out 1911's in the military.
And I remember all the changes in the late 80's.

The M-16 A2 was something I did like.
I went down and bought one. At least an AR-15 version.

I believe it was on post in Furth Germany.

It feels like a long time ago?

A few things about this, as I was in the Army during that period when all the new whiz-bang "new stuff" was being worked into supply chain... K-pot helmets, PASGT Kevlar body armor, M16A2's, "speed lace" boots, the Hum-V, AT-4 rocket launcher, M9 pistol, etc.

In fact, my first real world deployment (as a newly promoted PFC... LOL) was literally using mostly Vietnam era kit and weapons.

My initial reactions when the G17 came out was:

That is the FUGLIEST pistol ever made, I'm still not fond of the G17 aesthetics, actually.

It's made of plastic? Fail!

No external safety, and if snagged by an adversary could just pick it up and shoot you with it? FAIL!

Did I mention it was FUGLY, made of plastic, and had no external safety? LOL.

I carried the 1911A1 in the jungles down south of our borders (mine was a Remington) that essentially had all the parkerizing worn off down to bare metal, and we all had to keep our weapons lightly coated with that new-fangled Break-Fee CLP that was the newest whiz-bang miracle all-in-one juice. Our basic load out for the 1911 was 3-5 magazines, just 21-35 rounds. I still didn't feel "under armed" and was ready to fight anyone or anything with it (plus I had 210 rounds for my M16, or I was packing an M60 MG... LOL)

The "handgun philosophy"'of the 80's was also DA/SA hammer-fired was the ultimate pinnacle of combat handgun evolution, and this "new-dangled" striker-fired stuff was LAME.

Now, if little miss "2Lt Banana Titties" couldn't keep up with the simple procedure of weapons maintenance, then she was the epitome of my general opinion of Jr. (and a lot of senior) officers....

I even purchased my own 92F back in 87' (or was it '88?, LOL)... it was beautiful, the slide felt like it rode on ball bearings, and I even carried it while on PSD duty for the CINC of USAREUR/7th Army. It was the only personal handgun I owned for many, many years... I still own it as a matter of fact. ;)

I also own a few revolvers from Ruger & S&W, one 1911A1 (nostalgic reasons), and a (cough-cough) Taurus PT-145.

Having said all that.... over the last 10yrs I have acquired a G19.3, G19.4, G30.2.5, G43, G43X, and a G44 (which I haven't even shot yet, LOL)

My daily carry is a Glock. Although I'm not "stupid" about it, I'm a "glocktard". The manual of arms, take-down and maintenance is all the same, spare parts and support is ubiquitous and affordable, they're reliable.... so yeah, Glocks rule.... but I don't (nor most likely ever will) own a G17, LOL!
Banana titties...lmao

I remember shooting the old clapped out 1911's in the military.
And I remember all the changes in the late 80's.

The M-16 A2 was something I did like.
I went down and bought one. At least an AR-15 version.

I believe it was on post in Furth Germany.

It feels like a long time ago?

I bought my Colt AR15A2 out of the Kaiserslautern Rod & Gun Club (up on the hill above Ramstein AB) back in '87 (or so).... seems like an eternity ago.... :confused:

The M9 is a decent duty pistol. I've been using it for the past 10 years. The issue is, the operator doesn't maintain it or reports deficiencies like broken extractors or magazines. Sure it's heavy and bulky. Are there better alternatives out there? Yes I believe so. When I was rotating out of Afghanistan in 18' the SFAB boys rolling through had M17s with extended mags and different grip modules. The M9 is a lot better than the 1911 and I'm sure some boomer old army salt dogs will burn me at the stake for saying so. I do like the trigger on 1911s. ;)

The Glock may be just as good as other choices, and as many other guns, it has its fan base.

But, the Glock doesn't fit everybody, and that is a huge criticism. If I was on the board deciding the next military handgun, I would have said no.

the generals are just as corrupt as the rest of the government... it's about getting rich... THEY DON'T GIVE A RUSTY DOG ABOUT US !!! BIDEN HAS BEEN IN OFFICE 44 YEARS... WAKE UP AMERICA !!!

This is like saying all duty rifles should have polymer lowers to reduce weight.

What kinda of idjiot thinks Glocks are a better Military weapon??:confused:

Yea, I said it:s0155:

I own a glock and a beretta. Love both. I carry the glock. The beretta is a far superior firearm though.

If we shoveled out glocks to our troops then you may as well give them AK-47's while your at it..... (I have an AR and an AK) I'm not a fanboy of anything.

This thread has me adding to my ignore list - I sure hope there isn't a maximum on it:s0002:

35+ years later, the tried-and-true Glock has yet to become the STANDARD sidearm of our Armed Services. Many an American GI are clamoring for them though. What was the cop film in the 1990's that had this line something like: "get rid of that chrome 45 and get yourself a Glock!" Glocks were touted by the American LE community like SB preachers wave a bible in church. I once knew a blue-collar middle-age guy from the south that packed some kind of Colt pistol. I asked him what he thought about Glock when we were gun-talking one day. He said he didn't know a Glock from a clock. A bumper-bright-chrome pistol looks pimpish, like something Al Capone's boys packed.

"Chrome-plated sissy pistol" is the phrase from The Fugitive 2 or whatever it was called.

The Glock may be just as good as other choices, and as many other guns, it has its fan base.

But, the Glock doesn't fit everybody, and that is a huge criticism. If I was on the board deciding the next military handgun, I would have said no.

Agreed - in today's military a lot of decisions are made based on modularity because not every soldier is a 5'10" - 6' average male. Doesn't matter how great Glock is if the personnel can't effectively handle them. That being said - Glock is my pick.

While I see the apeal to Glock's but I find them garbage for myself, I had a G22gen3, a G17gen4 and a G17 gen4 mos, the 40s&w was total awful for me, and while the the G17's were not as bad they were not the best for my hands. I have not had much time with the newer gen 5's. My issues were with the finger grooves and the grip not being long enough for my larger hands(I am 6'9). I prefer XD-m's 1911's and M&P's. I see why militates and police love glocks, they are simple to service 100's or 1000's and are very affordable.

I don't know.
Glocks fit me fine. And it's the brand I always carry.

But I seam to remember a lot of exploding, burning things in the Military.
Plastic doesn't tolerate heat as well as metal. And it probably doesn't deal with shrapnel as well?

I don't know.
Glocks fit me fine. And it's the brand I always carry.

But I seam to remember a lot of exploding, burning things in the Military.
Plastic doesn't tolerate heat as well as metal. And it probably doesn't deal with shrapnel as well?

Isn't the newly adopted sig polymer?

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR