JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've always thought the idea of something like a Raven Vanguard inside a leather holster would be an ideal hybrid of leather comfort and kydex retention... but the latest from Urban Carry is not something I will consider, it actually inserts something into the trigger guard area. Id like to think they put a lot of thought into the safety of this being "gun guys" and all, but the holster doesn't even fully cover the trigger area. What does everyone think about this?

screenshort.jpg

It looks like it might cover it when the gun is fully inserted but it's hard to see what's what from the one picture. Their site is acting up for me right now. I may look again later. That said, if it doesn't cover the trigger completely that's a deal breaker for me too. No opinion on the retention device until I can see it from some more angles. It's worth noting that many holsters "pinch" the end of the trigger guard because on a lot guns it's about the only place to get a good purchase short of a retention strap.

Edit: Ok, the site is back up and it definitely does not cover the trigger guard completely. Do not want.

Last Edited:
It's worth noting that many holsters "pinch" the end of the trigger guard
This is correct, but its also not protruding anything into the trigger area that the trigger could even touch.

With the Urbancarry not even covering the trigger guard and inserting something into the trigger area, this is like two of the biggest basic non nos.

The retention device seems ok, unless I'm missing something. but it looks like the trigger just peeks out the top in some of the pictures. I think you'd have to ask the manufacturer what's going on with that.
I may use that idea for retention in my next holster project!

I may use that idea for retention in my next holster project!
Youd be better off using a Raven Vanguard type design which doesnt insert anything into the trigger guard. Ive always wanted to see something like that embedded inside a leather holster.

Youd be better off using a Raven Vanguard type design which doesnt insert anything into the trigger guard. Ive always wanted to see something like that embedded inside a leather holster.
Haven't seen those before, they look very nice on their own. I could see using something similar, pared down quite a bit, inside some leather.
Been thinking about something like a kenai holster, only made of leather.
Sorry for the hijack OP!

maybe for that model but the rest of the pics on their site dont.

View attachment 645254

This is actually quite normal for many holsters. I've had a number of holsters from the big names that had a little bit of the rear of the trigger guard open like that. If you don't like it, I'd continue looking, but honestly, its never been an issue, and if it were indeed that big of a deal with people shooting themselves or others constantly, you'd hear of lawsuits, and panic would be spread like wildfire across the varied media platforms.

Your other option would be a full custom rig with the kydex shell embedded in leather. There are makers who do that. IIRC, FIST holsters has something like that? They even do ultra thin Kydex stitched together like leather, vs riveted.

This is actually quite normal for many holsters.
Ive noticed this and your probably right and I do just move on, but this one is also sticking something inside the trigger guard. I just thought that was a double whammy. Odd are nothing will ever fall in there, probably.

Ive noticed this and your probably right and I do just move on, but this one is also sticking something inside the trigger guard. I just thought that was a double whammy. Odd are nothing will ever fall in there, probably.

The trigger guard lock is actually similar to many retention holsters. Bianchi's security holsters and some of their concealment stuff use their "patented pinch retention" device, which is similar to what this shows. Bianchi also has their "carry lock" and "duty lock" holsters (I've used both) that have a finger activated lever, and the locking mechanism snaps onto the inside of the forward part of the trigger guard. Safariland uses a similar retention mechanism on their SLS holsters. Of course there are the notorious SERPA hoslters and the knockoffs that use a finger activated button on the outside of the holster that locks via trigger guard. Even the Raven and other kydex holsters use the trigger guard as the focal point of retention. When I started building kydex, I did what I was used to on my old Safariland 070 security holster, which locked via ejection port. Turns out, that sucks in kydex because it makes it next to impossible to draw easily from. So kydex typically utilizes molding on the trigger guard to pinch the trigger guard. You will never accidentally discharge from this, but that's how most kydex holsters retain the gun.

Have you taken a peak at the FIST holsters yet? You may also want to look at Dale Fricke - I think he did something similar once upon a time?

The trigger guard lock is actually similar to many retention holsters.
my understanding is that a lot of makers have been moving away from these designs in favor of retention hoods that activate out of the way when drawing? I do know that kydex designs pinch the trigger guard but I have never considered that a violation of the trigger area in my opinion.

Im not actually in the market to buy a new holster but Im just always looking for new designs and improvements over my existing collection.

years ago I read a good article from a major industry firearm trainer or place that listed requirements for holsters and completely covering the trigger guard was one of them. I eventually took a DH1 class elsewhere and they covered the topic of holsters the same way validating my first bias. Wish I could find a link to a good article like that for reference... just going off memory now.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews