JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

which press

• Dillon 550c

Votes: 22 68.8%
  • Hornady LNL ap

Votes: 10 31.3%

• Total voters
I have decided to go with the 550c
Thanks everyone for the inputs

Thx for letting us know. So many posts where the OP just kinda floats off into space and we never get to share the results!

BTW, don't expect the thread to end. These things have a life of their own...

I mostly do pistol cartridges in my Turret press with the exception of 223 and 300blk. For lower volume larger rifle cases I will never give up my rcbs single stage.

Last Edited:
Yep , next to decide on mounting
To bench or get a Dillon or inline
Riser/mount

See thread on standing vs sitting. I'd go for the riser mount unless you have a tall(ish) bench.

Well if you are going to order, might as well order the Dillon calendar, even with half the year gone it is still worth it.;)

I get the catalog... but it's just to read the articles. ;);););););)

I mostly due pistol cartridges in my Turret press with the exception of 223 and 300blk. For lower volume larger rifle cases I will never give up my rcbs single stage.

That's because you have a better RCBS press than me... I just remembered, mine isn't even a Jr., it's the Reloader Special. Lightweight... enough for .223 and .308, but a bear/bare/beer to do .300WinMag, and don't even get a stuck case!!!

I voted 550 but honestly I'd go for a 650. It's better than both, harder to double/no charge than a 550 and only slightly more expensive. Then you can add the casefeeder later.

he he he, it's a slippery slope fast. But ya that extra $159 buys a lot of capacity and upgradable future. BUT at the same time the 550 is a great press on its own. I ran mine stand alone for years, picked up a second one to have small and large primer setups dedicated. Then went full dark side with twin 1050's few yrs back. I still have my original 550 and use it for special hand charged precision long range .308 loading. I just use it as a 3 or two station press.

Do whatever starts cranking ammo out for you.

Oh, so that's how you change calibers with Dillon!!!

Its how I change primer size ;). One is a dedicated big one is a small primer. I load smaller so my big is the brass processing machine, deprime, size, trim or cutting down and forming 300blk. This way the small primer machine is punching out rounds. :cool:

Its how I change primer size ;). One is a dedicated big one is a small primer. I load smaller so my big is the brass processing machine, deprime, size, trim or cutting down and forming 300blk. This way the small primer machine is punching out rounds. :cool:

Yup, switching primer size on my 550B is a PITA.

You dog!!! :p;)

I'm sorry if this topic had been discussed already, but for all you Dillon 550 owners: doesn't the fact that the 550 is a manual indexing only bother all of you? I've been very curious about that.

I would think there's manual indexing only slows down your reloading since it adds another step for your hand to do. Plus if you get distracted, I would think there's a danger of forgetting to index & then double charging the casing which I would think wouldn't happen with an auto indexing press. I wish the 550 would at least give you the option of being able to choose auto indexing vs manual indexing but you get no choice.

I have no experience with the 550 & so this is pure speculation on my part. I would love to hear what you all think.

I'm sorry if this topic had been discussed already, but for all you Dillon 550 owners: doesn't the fact that the 550 is a manual indexing only bother all of you? I've been very curious about that.

I would think there's manual indexing only slows down your reloading since it adds another step for your hand to do. Plus if you get distracted, I would think there's a danger of forgetting to index & then double charging the casing which I would think wouldn't happen with an auto indexing press. I wish the 550 would at least give you the option of being able to choose auto indexing vs manual indexing but you get no choice.

I have no experience with the 550 & so this is pure speculation on my part. I would love to hear what you all think.

Never an issue for me. The x2 charge is not an issue as you go by hand to place the bullet to seat, one would be sitting there already seated. You physically are blocked from being able to place the bullet since one is already there. As for clicking it forward like everything else it just becomes part of the rhythm of loading. 1,2,3 stroke, 1,2,3 stroke etc.

Wanting auto indexing really comes in when you have a case feeder, then you want a Mr. bullet feeder, then you want an AmmoBot to automate with, then you start looking at a Camdex or Alpha Loading system......

If you load a lot, and switch between large and small primer often. You actually will want two 550. One set up for small primer and one for large primer.

I went from RCBS single stage to the 550. It's like going from what I would imagine black powder to semi auto smokeless powder.

I have two 550's, one set up for large primers and one set up for small, then there's a 3rd that was too cheap not to buy so it floats to either. It doesn't bother me a bit to set up for just a few 45-70 or any other caliber that I only load a small amount of since I have quick changes for all of them. Trying my best to resist 1050 land.

Yep , next to decide on mounting
To bench or get a Dillon or inline
Riser/mount

Congrats on getting the 550. I really enjoy mine!

If you decide to go inline fabrication for a mount, they are having a Memorial Day sale this weekend. I have three of their quick change flush mount plates on my benches so I can swap different presses around, and mount other accessories. Been really pleased with their stuff, and it's nice to support a local (Eugene, OR) business.

I have an extra Dillon strongmount that came with my 650, not sure if it would also work on a 550? PM me if your interested.

I have two 550's, one set up for large primers and one set up for small, then there's a 3rd that was too cheap not to buy so it floats to either. It doesn't bother me a bit to set up for just a few 45-70 or any other caliber that I only load a small amount of since I have quick changes for all of them. Trying my best to resist 1050 land.

The quick changes are a must, we previously were referring to not wanting to switch out the primer assembly between large and small often. Hence, as you posted, the dual set ups for large and small primers.

Welcome to 1050 land.....we have a place for you....
608160EB-2E31-40AE-927D-EC3DF4B5205A.jpeg

I am trying to resist Ammo Bot land now to add onto these two.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top