JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"Ben Morris, a spokesperson for the Secretary of State's Office, said the confusion may have stemmed from this year's change allowing ballots to be post-marked on Election Day Nov. 8 and counted if they arrived within seven days of the election. That pushed back the state deadline for the vote to be officially certified to Dec. 15, creating the unusual circumstance of having a ballot measure's effective date -- Dec. 8 -- fall before the deadline for vote certification."

That makes zero sense - either someone needs to explain like I'm five, or we still have a HUGE issue here. Also need someone to post a link to the statute/law itself.
It's in the constitution. Article IV, Sec. 1(4)(d) "[A]n initiative or referendum measure becomes effective 30 days after the day on which it is enacted or approved by a majority of the votes cast thereon." It doesn't say anything about the date the results are certified.

It's in the constitution. Article IV, Sec. 1(4)(d) "[A]n initiative or referendum measure becomes effective 30 days after the day on which it is enacted or approved by a majority of the votes cast thereon." It doesn't say anything about the date the results are certified.
I will say that something isn't enacted until certified.

So, approved by votes would be Nov 8. Officially enacted would be when certified Dec 15. Secretary of State has decided to go with Nov 8 and 30 days to Dec 8. As in, forget this certification business.

I will say that something isn't enacted until certified.
There's certainly been a great deal of discussion about that point. The Oregonian article today discussed it. I tend to agree with the SOS and the Governor. If the drafters had wanted to say 30 days after certification, they would have said that. Instead, they said 30 days after "enacted or approved." The fact that certification can happen after 30 days is a product of the new legislation allowing mail-in ballots to be post-marked as late as November 8. Of course, that legislation was prepared and passed by dipbubblegums, specifically to benefit dipbubblegums.

Edit -- I am endlessly amused in the way it auto-corrects dipsh**s.

There's certainly been a great deal of discussion about that point. The Oregonian article today discussed it. I tend to agree with the SOS and the Governor. If the drafters had wanted to say 30 days after certification, they would have said that. Instead, they said 30 days after "enacted or approved." The fact that certification can happen after 30 days is a product of the new legislation allowing mail-in ballots to be post-marked as late as November 8. Of course, that legislation was prepared and passed by dipbubblegums, specifically to benefit dipbubblegums.

Edit -- I am endlessly amused in the way it auto-corrects dipsh**s.

It doesn't matter what the drafters say in it, what matters is the constitution.

I could swear I read somewhere OR law states that Ballot Measures go into effect 30 days after they are CERTIFIED, not 30 days after election day. Worth looking into and sending to OSP for correction.
They're still counting votes as of tonight... so it would make sense that 30 days after vote certified... and all in que should be approved being it is their already broken system.

Yep, they can all go find real jobs then. Or not. I really don't GAF about them.
Maybe they should learn to code

ObscureJokeCrop.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews