JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
7.62x25.

Tokarevs are a fun gun, but it has so much potential with modern tweaks to make a super high velocity pistol round.

Indeed, that is one that I'd love to see in a modern incarnation. I had a Yugo M57; the pistol was a complete pile of ... eh, caca. But the cartridge was very neat-o. Imagine a CZ 75 or even a Glock in said? Might be fun.

A .357Sig

Its one amazing round taking the .357 and making it crap.
No its a waste of and idea. I can not think of any application where I would
a round that that is same basically as 9mm but cost more then a .357.:rolleyes:

I do love that CZ compact and scary accurate for that round. I love the one I have.
Takes that nice 7.62x39 and makes it a nail driver. I love how that round shoots in an SKS, but the CZ for me, seems to almost make it appear as if it was a different caliber.

That's part of what makes a 7.62x39 underappreciated I think. People think AK47 when they think 7.62x39 and AK's are notoriously not the most accurate rifles. They're typically cheaply stamped and slapped together with loose tolerances to be as cheap as possible and reasonably reliable. Accuracy often suffers because of how cheaply the rifles are made on average (yes some are made to precision standards, but the vast majority are not...) So that in turn gave a bad rep to an otherwise fantastic round! The russians have that round very consistent though. Put it through a higher quality AK, an AR, or even a bolt action and it becomes a tack driver out to 600yds. Yes you're not going to pick off a squirrel at 1000yds, but that's okay because the round was never meant to reach that far! It was meant to give a short action rifle 30 caliber stopping power out to ~600yds and it does that reliably and effectively. I never thought I would like 7.62x39 so much, but ever since building an AR chambered in it and seeing how accurate that thing is on the cheapest center fire rifle round out there..I'm definitely a fan!

I would certainly love to see more loads and more options for the round as well, but so far i'm pretty content with my 124gr JHP WMC ammo.

8MM mauser. A .323 sized hole is still bigger than a .308 sized one. :D

I sort of miss my 1943 vintage La Coruña Mauser in said. I enjoyed shooting it in the deserts of Californication many moons ago.

PS, shoot me a PM sometime if you want to hear more of the CZ, be happy to share my experiences.

Roger-dodger. :)

But, the 300 H&H is another victim of powder technology and case design. The 308 Norma, 300 Win Mag, and 300 Weatherby make more sense. The 308 Norma Mag and 300 Win Mag matched the performance in a 30-06 length action while the 300 Weatherby has far less case taper in the same length case allowing it to have more powder capacity. Still, the 300 H&H looks like a missile.

0014D3F2-F01D-4094-B6C8-26ED91843E04.jpeg

This was Winchester's fault, bigtime. It was marketed as a dual purpose varmint and deer rifle. Should have been marketed like the 7mm Rem Mag, which shares the same case, as a deer/elk cartridge. It didn't help that it was initially chambered in the Featherweight with a 22 inch barrel. Turned it, essentially, into a loud 270.
when my grandpa was alive, he told me many hunting stories. one being how he was laughed at by the guides when he took his 264 mag hunting for moose in canada.

one shot, moose buckled, it wasnt so funny anymore.

I'd say the 45/70!
Anyone that knows anything, knows the 45-70 can flatten anything.

30/30 for me is underappreciated. Totally Rodney Dangerfield.
Yup. Like the 45-70, if you hunt in the woods, can't get much better.
I'm actually starting my grandson with a 243 because it doesn't kick as hard. We'll get to the thirty-thirty later.
Bought one of these for my wife. Pokes holes in anything she shoots at. Never have recovered a bullet, even with elk. Recovered all of the animals though.

In my side-business FFL, I had a .280 AI come in in the form a plastic-stocked Savage. I handled the paperwork for the young man and did a hearty belly laugh and said "Fine rifle, but this one might kick a little, amigo." Don't get me wrong; it is an underappreciated cartridge.

Perceived recoil is influenced greatly by stock design My Kimber Montana in 280 ai is a peach to shoot which is pretty amazing considering it spits a 160gr bullet out at 2950. The Tikka lites in anything stouter than 270 or 30-06 will get your attention. I got scoped twice with one in 300wsm. In my mind 280 and the 280 ai are probably the best blend of speed power and ballistic coefficient and tolerable recoil for North American non dangerous big game hunting.

30-40 Krag. It's what I grew up with and still love shooting my 1896 Springfield carbine. I stock up whenever I see it because it's gotten hard to find and expensive.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top