JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Seems its not talked about near as much. But still is a great FOE ender.

And 7.62x39 and 40SW that many think days are numbered are great short range solvers.

Seems its not talked about near as much. But still is a great FOE ender.

And 7.62x39 and 40SW that many think days are numbered are great short range solvers.

7.62X39 is probably responsible for more death than any other cartridge in world history. It's likely still at the top of the list.....

303 British.

My dad hunted with one from the 50's thru the 90's and would have kept on doing so if we could have mounted a clear, lighter scope on his No4MK1T.

8x56mmR, straight pull bolt action rifles should have kicked off. I guess with semiautos no one wants to make one. The Steyr M95 would have made a decent scout rifle, with an aperture and a scout scope.

45-120 just because....

819B5959-34D2-4649-96B6-5FE9CF04B88E.jpeg

5.7x28

It is a niche cartridge relegated to niche guns.

I would like to see it available in a light bolt action carbine, or a single shot, or at least an adapter to shoot in a 5.56x45 firearm.

It is more powerful than .22 magnum and can be loaded pretty hot, but except for boutique ammo loaders, only FN and Federal provide a limited selection of ammo for it that isn't as effective as it could be because the government is afraid of it.

My 2 cents:
280 - Hugely versatile as stated above. If not for the way it was introduced it would have been an important and popular cartridge.

280 AI - slightly slower than a 7mm RM, but without the barrel wear and cartridge belt issues. Can fire form 280 cartridges.

6.5x55 Swede - w/140 grain bullet good for everything up to Moose. Beats the 6.5 CM at that bullet weight, and just as accurate at all weights.

In my side-business FFL, I had a .280 AI come in in the form a plastic-stocked Savage. I handled the paperwork for the young man and did a hearty belly laugh and said "Fine rifle, but this one might kick a little, amigo." Don't get me wrong; it is an underappreciated cartridge.... ]

I'd seen it listed at the Savage website, but have never seen one for sale, even after searching in the net. Interesting to know that they are real.

I'd seen it listed at the Savage website, but have never seen one for sale, even after searching in the net. Interesting to know that they are real.

They are indeed. The one that came into the office was very light. I didn't shoot it, of course, but did take it out to record all the information for the bound book and background check. If I recall right, the young fellow who bought it did so via Sportsman's Guide, and transferred it through yours-truly.

30/30 for me is underappreciated. Totally Rodney Dangerfield.

That and .327 Federal. Seven shots of wham-bam in a small frame revolver-- that can also throw out 32 S&W for beginners and kids. So neglected Cabelas will sell you a 327 gun but doesn't stock ammo on the shelf for it. (Don't get me started)

7.62X39 is probably responsible for more death than any other cartridge in world history. It's likely still at the top of the list.....
I agree, but over all especially in the states.... the only following is by AK, SKS and a few bolt actions. That my reason for posting it. When compared to a 30.06 that has been used just as long. Its still made for most rifle manufactures. The 7.62x39 not many new guns in that caliber.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top