JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I agree, but over all especially in the states.... the only following is by AK, SKS and a few bolt actions. That my reason for posting it. When compared to a 30.06 that has been used just as long. Its still made for most rifle manufactures. The 7.62x39 not many new guns in that caliber.
Because it's ballistics limit it's desirability. Its essentially a 300BO, 30-30, 32 special, 300 savage, 30 Remington, etc. and a host of other cartridges nobody wants, and has limited uses. In this day and age, if it's not a supernoslerultramagnumcreedmoor, nobody wants it. I mean if you can't shoot 5 miles with less than 3" drop, why bother?

I agree, but over all especially in the states.... the only following is by AK, SKS and a few bolt actions.

I'm not big on bolt-guns, but I have to admit to being interested in CZs little carbine in said.

411558051_2.jpg

:)

Because it's ballistics limit it's desirability. Its essentially a 300BO, 30-30, 32 special, 300 savage, 30 Remington, etc. and a host of other cartridges nobody wants, and has limited uses. In this day and age, if it's not a supernoslerultramagnumcreedmoor, nobody wants it. I mean if you can't shoot 5 miles with less than 3" drop, why bother?
Same folks that buy a diesel, yet never tow more than a 5000lb play toy boat. :rolleyes:

7mm-08 - I think it could serve a lot of the 6.5 creed hunting crowd.

6x45 - May have been a smarter choice than 6.8 and 6.5 gren.

I could be way off so please don't hang me

Edit: also want to add 260rem. For obvious reasons.

The old. 221 and .222 were awesome back in their day, imagine with better bullets today what ether could do! Even the .22/250 seems to be fading!:(

I seem to recall the .222 Remington lingers on in Mexico because the .223 Remington is a "military" caliber and therefore prohibido for regular citizens. I've read it is still popular in parts of Europe (like Spain and France) because of the same type of laws. Ruger even made the Mini-14 in said for those types of markets. Indeed, while eclipsed by other cartridges, this one is still a fine one for varmints.

Sorry to hear the .22—250 is fading; that is a fine twenty-two centerfire.

Same folks that buy a diesel, yet never tow more than a 5000lb play toy boat. :rolleyes:

Yes, the first bolt gun I bought (new) was a Rem 7mm Mag.

It was way more than I needed or need now, and reloading belted magnums is a PITA IMO. So I sold it and got a .308 instead.

I have a CZ 527 carbine in 7.62x39 and it is a nice little gun. Haven't shot it much, but the set trigger is really nice and the 7.62x39 has a lot of accuracy potential. I don't really need anything for hunting that will go beyond 200 meters either.

My maternal grandfather was kind of a jack of all trades and old school outdoorsman, born in the late 1800s. He hunted Orygun with a .30-30 Winchester 94 lever action rifle with a long octagon barrel. The family story goes (not sure how true this is) that he bought it from a Trask indian (Native American) for something like $7 and a bottle of whiskey. He hunted bear, elk and deer with that rifle. He provided for his family with that rifle.

This is me, with the last deer taken with that rifle:

nc_oc=AQl96ki47VmF1Ic948_e9de9N799J5AUXZUpPDvV1DR8LGmgIlkYcPL3IV-OVVotn2A&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

In the Alsea River area about 40 years ago. I shot that deer from about ten yards. I was not under-gunned. I didn't need a magnum nor did my grandfather nor the thousands of other hunters who have taken a LOT of game with the .30-30 (including bison).

The 7.62x39 approaches the power of the .30-30, although the .30-30 does better with heavier projectiles, the 7.62x39 is a nice little rifle that is quite adequate for most everything I am likely to need to use it for.

The old. 221 and .222 were awesome back in their day, imagine with better bullets today what ether could do! Even the .22/250 seems to be fading!:(

Before I built my .243 I took a long hard look at the 22/250 cartridge. I figured since I was buying a barrel and could choose the twist, it might be fun to send the .22 heavies screaming. In the end I landed on .243 when I spotted a chamber reamer on here for $30.

It was way more than I needed or need now, and reloading belted magnums is a PITA IMO. So I sold it and got a .308 instead.

I have a CZ 527 carbine in 7.62x39 and it is a nice little gun. Haven't shot it much, but the set trigger is really nice and the 7.62x39 has a lot of accuracy potential. I don't really need anything for hunting that will go beyond 200 meters either.

My maternal grandfather was kind of a jack of all trades and old school outdoorsman, born in the late 1800s. He hunted Orygun with a .30-30 Winchester 94 lever action rifle with a long octagon barrel. The family story goes (not sure how true this is) that he bought it from a Trask indian (Native American) for something like $7 and a bottle of whiskey. He hunted bear, elk and deer with that rifle. He provided for his family with that rifle.

View attachment 588688

In the Alsea River area about 40 years ago. I shot that deer from about ten yards. I was not under-gunned. I didn't need a magnum nor did my grandfather nor the thousands of other hunters who have taken a LOT of game with the .30-30 (including bison).

The 7.62x39 approaches the power of the .30-30, although the .30-30 does better with heavier projectiles, the 7.62x39 is a nice little rifle that is quite adequate for most everything I am likely to need to use it for.
Problem with the 30-30 is you have to know how to hunt. Maybe I should have given a "trigger warning" before I sent this one lol

One that has sort of faded away is the .300 Savage. Now there are plenty of options in that class of cartridges. But the old Savage remains a good cartridge. My wife's grandfather hunted just about every species one can find in the United States and Canada with one. He later gave us the rifle. :)

leverold-jpg.jpg

(Shown to the right of my old Winchester 94.)

I agree, but over all especially in the states.... the only following is by AK, SKS and a few bolt actions. That my reason for posting it. When compared to a 30.06 that has been used just as long. Its still made for most rifle manufactures. The 7.62x39 not many new guns in that caliber.

I dunno about that. It has been gaining traction in the AR platform now that the majority of the reliability issues have been worked out.
I have 2x AR's chambered in 7.62x39. They're stupid accurate inside of 600yds. Sub-MOA on $0.18/rd steel cased wolf ammo...I'll take it!

creedmoor is the manbun of cartridges...Just sayin.

Hey now! Just cause it's diesel doesn't mean it's meant to haul ;) my little 1.9L 4 banger car is an oil burner (diesel) but that doesn't make it a good idea to try and tow with it LOL. It just rattles around @ 42MPG without having to be packed to the gills full of batteries.

Why buy a gasoline truck when diesels have more power, more torque, AND get better fuel economy all while lasting 10x longer between rebuilds.

View attachment 588688

Well considering there were no Trask Indians.... He would have been from the Killamook tribe. Trask and Wilson were trappers thought to be first in the area.

Before I built my .243 I took a long hard look at the 22/250 cartridge. I figured since I was buying a barrel and could choose the twist, it might be fun to send the .22 heavies screaming. In the end I landed on .243 when I spotted a chamber reamer on here for $30.

All my buddies had a .22/250s and raved about them. I wanted to love it too, but i scored a super sweet Winchester Varmiteer .243 and never looked back!
I found i could wack Yoties fuether out and anchor them harder then my buddies with their hot little .22s! Even better when i discoverd a deal through Sarco on a C.G. 63 in 6.5X55 Swede! Nothing inside 1000 yards was safe then!:)

Last Edited:
I seem to recall the .222 Remington lingers on in Mexico because the .223 Remington is a "military" caliber and therefore prohibido for regular citizens. I've read it is still popular in parts of Europe (like Spain and France) because of the same type of laws. Ruger even made the Mini-14 in said for those types of markets. Indeed, while eclipsed by other cartridges, this one is still a fine one for varmints.

Sorry to hear the .22—250 is fading; that is a fine twenty-two centerfire.

The 22-250 is another example of what happens when Remington gets its hands on something and twists its barrels way too slow. Most are twisted 1:14

Austin said:
The problem is when you get people comparing 6.5CM with heavy-for-caliber bullets that have a high BC (140+ grains), to .308 Win with average weight bullets (147-175 grains), instead of comparing the ballistics to .308 Win with equal weight-for-caliber high BC bullets. This is how they trick folks. When you compare a 6.5CM with a high-BC 140 to a .308 Win with a low-BC 168, the CM is going to kick it's a$$ thoroughly. But if you compare the 6.5CM with a 140 to a .308 Win with a 215 Berger Hybrid, the ballistics start getting skewed in the other direction... The only thing the CM wins is drop. Drift, velocity, and KE all lean in the .308 Win's favor.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top