JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am in desperate need of a good quality two way radio. What do you guys have that you like and works well.

It would be nice if the SHTF I could get a hold of my wife at home. I work about 35 miles from my house. As the crow flies it might be less.

Well, the problem with simplex (radio to radio) operation is radio is line of sight. So a lot to get in the way. Uniden makes a hand held radio with a claim of 50 miles, but that's unrealistic as there would need to be nothing in between the two radios for them to really make it that far.

Have you considered getting your ham license? It's not too difficult and then you could use the vast repeater system to be able to communicate hundreds of miles. You and her both would need to get them to be able to talk on the radio.

A 1 watt unit will allow you to talk to someone on the Moon(or so I have been told) as long as the Moon is in sight!
To the moon, Alice!

upload_2018-6-25_15-58-19.jpeg

While a SAT Phone would work for now there is no telling how long they would last depend on just WHAT hit the fan. I have talked from the top of Mount Rainier to Tacoma with a 5 Watt handheld. But, again, that was Line-of-Sight.

While a SAT Phone would work for now there is no telling how long they would last depend on just WHAT hit the fan. I have talked from the top of Mount Rainier to Tacoma with a 5 Watt handheld. But, again, that was Line-of-Sight.

Yup, I've hit the Mt. Hood repeater on 10 watts from inside my office with a mag mount antenna. Just shy of 100 miles. It's all about line of sight.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but what does a decent 1-5 watt handheld cost? I have thought about this myself, and have been thinking about getting my ham license for this exact reason.

There's also the thought process that says, depending on the severity of the SHTF incident, there won't be anyone around to enforce the fact that you're using a radio without proper licensing... Of course, you may want to familiarize yourself with the systems ahead of time, thus prompting the license getting, instead of just keeping them in the cardboard boxes until said SHTF event occurs and then reading the manual.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but what does a decent 1-5 watt handheld cost? I have thought about this myself, and have been thinking about getting my ham license for this exact reason.

You can get a Yaesu FT-70 for less than $200. Baofeng can be had for less than $40, but they are cheap-o and tend to not last.

The Midland brand have been my favorites. The camo model had animal sounds on them. Choose either 1 or 5 watt , I think, but your supposed to register them to use on the higher watt channels. A bunch of choices to pick your own channels on. I've seen them for around $60. They claim 36 miles but that's open territory I imagine.

I have talked from St.Helens to Scappoose and from Tillamook bay back to Barview Jetty campground. They did good.

61o-YBhqU-L._SL1000_.jpg

Midland GXT 1050 VP4 Radio Pack : Cabela's

The Midland brand have been my favorites. The camo model had animal sounds on them. Choose either 1 or 5 watt , I think, but your supposed to register them to use on the higher watt channels. A bunch of choices to pick your own channels on. I've seen them for around $60. They claim 36 miles but that's open territory I imagine.

I have talked from St.Helens to Scappoose and from Tillamook bay back to Barview Jetty campground. They did good.

View attachment 472609

Midland GXT 1050 VP4 Radio Pack : Cabela's

Yeah, those will do fine, especially if line of site ins't an issue. @SKrueger buy something like this and test it out. It's the only way you will know.

Well, the problem with simplex (radio to radio) operation is radio is line of sight. So a lot to get in the way. Uniden makes a hand held radio with a claim of 50 miles, but that's unrealistic as there would need to be nothing in between the two radios for them to really make it that far.

Have you considered getting your ham license? It's not too difficult and then you could use the vast repeater system to be able to communicate hundreds of miles. You and her both would need to get them to be able to talk on the radio.

So.... you're saying @SKrueger needs a license to continue to be his ham-bone self?

;)

A set of Cobra Marine hand held radios are about as good as your going to get for a non licenced set up, I don't know if the shop is still around in Clackamas, but if so, the CB Shop across the street from FredMeyers warehouse, ( Next door to the Wichita pub) will tweak and peak a set of Cobras to 10 watts for about $40, bucks and in your truck, you can set up a linear booster to take you up to about 20-25 watts through your Cobra, that will burn your way all the way to Canada, or Kali depending on the weather! Only use it sparingly, a linear will draw all sorts of ire from other users, and LEO will come looking if you run it more then a minute or two! Pro tip, find and use a good low traffic side band and have a written down list for each user, usually a base freq, and a set of code words to hop to the next selected freq!

You could also step up a little and go HF, which you can reach out and really touch folks, you'll find me ether HF or VHF, or Ham! My "Other" name will reach me on the radios if you ever need!

You could also step up a little and go HF, which you can reach out and really touch folks, you'll find me ether HF or VHF, or Ham! My "Other" name will reach me on the radios if you ever need!

You can only find me on 2 meter ham. And you'll need my call sign to find me. :)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top