JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The FCC is rumored to be on the verge of relaxing a few rules related to GMRS. TBD.

If they did, I would suggest a FCC license for GMRS that covers the immediate family. No test required. Simple online application from the FCC.
General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS)

Then, get two programmable handheld transceivers with slightly higher power and use them on a GMRS frequency. Stay legal, understand the revised regulations including power-output limits for the radios based on the frequency or range of frequencies.

Finally, see if there is a GMRS repeater between you and home where that repeater also has emergency power. Program the radios to utilize the repeater - program it into the memory channel on the transceivers.
myGMRS.com - GMRS Repeater Directory

You can get a Yaesu FT-70 for less than $200. Baofeng can be had for less than $40, but they are cheap-o and tend to not last.
I don't know about that. While the Baofengs are very affordable, they are feature packed and easily programmable via Chirp, which is free. The higher end radios are nice, if you have the money. But in practical terms, if you lose a Baofeng, you only lose $40 bucks. We have half a dozen kicking around. A few I've had for several years already. So far none have failed and none of the batteries have had to be replaced. For someone who might be just starting out I wouldn't recommend spending a gazillion dollars on something that they don't quite understand. You move up to those sort of things. We have two of these BF-F8HP's. They are amazing little radios. 8 watts.
BF-F8HP - BaoFeng
IF you don't want to go the ham route, go online and get your GMRS license from the FCC. Regulations have changed and now GMRS radios can run up to 50 watts. So you can get some decent distance and now they are pretty practical. You must have the license to operate it though. There is no test for GMRS and the license will cover the entire family.
Midland makes a nice 40 watt unit. They also have some decent handhelds. As previously pointed out though, with these frequencies it is dependent on line of sight. Disregard what the packages say about 36 miles, etc. However, they do work well.

The FCC is rumored to be on the verge of relaxing a few rules related to GMRS. TBD.

If they did, I would suggest a FCC license for GMRS that covers the immediate family. No test required. Simple online application from the FCC.
General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS)

Then, get two programmable handheld transceivers with slightly higher power and use them on a GMRS frequency. Stay legal, understand the revised regulations including power-output limits for the radios based on the frequency or range of frequencies.

Finally, see if there is a GMRS repeater between you and home where that repeater also has emergency power. Program the radios to utilize the repeater - program it into the memory channel on the transceivers.
myGMRS.com - GMRS Repeater Directory
Baofengtech now has a GMRS repeater ready handheld. It works quite well.
GMRS-V1 GMRS Radio
While you can program the other dual band HT's for GMRS, it's not legal unless it's approved for that by the FCC. (sssssh...)

I've owned 5 Baoefengs. They have all failed.
There were problems with some of the early Baofengs. They used to be pretty bad at bleeding frequencies. That's mostly in the past when they were trying to get their foot in the amateur radio door. When they came out here they were up against the giants, Kenwood, Yaesu, etc.
Baofeng can also be credited with making ham radio affordable and low cost to anyone. Until they came on the scene, cost was a barrier for getting into ham. They are also very responsive to warranty issues.
Miklor.com does a lot of reviews. It's a good place to start for anyone.

The Midland brand have been my favorites. The camo model had animal sounds on them. Choose either 1 or 5 watt , I think, but your supposed to register them to use on the higher watt channels. A bunch of choices to pick your own channels on. I've seen them for around $60. They claim 36 miles but that's open territory I imagine.

I have talked from St.Helens to Scappoose and from Tillamook bay back to Barview Jetty campground. They did good.

View attachment 472609

Midland GXT 1050 VP4 Radio Pack : Cabela's

Something like this is what I was looking for. I might have to give them a try. Thanks

My Boafeng still works and holds a charge for a long time. It scans slow but has a lot of options. Almost too many for basic communicating. I need to figure how to use it better as well but its fun to play with and versatile. I like the radio and noaa channels also.

A set of Cobra Marine hand held radios are about as good as your going to get for a non licenced set up, I don't know if the shop is still around in Clackamas, but if so, the CB Shop across the street from FredMeyers warehouse, ( Next door to the Wichita pub) will tweak and peak a set of Cobras to 10 watts for about $40, bucks and in your truck, you can set up a linear booster to take you up to about 20-25 watts through your Cobra, that will burn your way all the way to Canada, or Kali depending on the weather! Only use it sparingly, a linear will draw all sorts of ire from other users, and LEO will come looking if you run it more then a minute or two! Pro tip, find and use a good low traffic side band and have a written down list for each user, usually a base freq, and a set of code words to hop to the next selected freq!

20-25 watts on the linear ?? Pffhttt..go big. A couple of buds and I set up 150 watts in my 72 Chev Blazer ( dual battery, high out put alternator ) with a couple of 102 inch whips 2,000 feet up a logging landing and we were getting 110 miles to Eugene and completely owning 23 channels for 20 miles. We had the code words and all too..fun times.

I have several Baofengs rolling around in different GHB's, fishing bags and console of my pickup which I have a had mount Kenwood in. The Baofengs are for emergency use only, and I have used them on 1 watt in the bottom of the Wilson River Canyon to get a contact on 147.320 to get a 911 call made to Tillamook County. Done that twice now.

I have a Yaesu for more durable carry away from the rig. Hell, I don't know how many radios I really have, but they all work for a reason.

I hate to be the crudgmunchin on this topic but......
35 miles is a lot to ask from any handheld, I know those handie talkies claim 25 to 35 miles, but i have never seen one that will do it. maybe if you are working at high elevation with your house within line of sight wiht one of those hand held gmrs radios... You might have to go with vehicle mounted 100 watt radio, and a 100 watt base station with a fairly tall antenna. or you and your wife get your tech ham licenses then you can go 2 meter and have access to the whole west coast from a small handheld thru the peaks radio repeater system.

Last Edited:
Baofeng ( real ones not copies) are pretty decent. Some require licenses depending on model. If you go with Ham you get police , fire etc allot more flexible.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads