JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I grew up in Alaska and had plenty of bear interactions. Most regular woodsman carried two guns at least. A large caliber revolver and a rifle (45/70, 338 win mag, 375 h&H, 300 win mag, 30-06 or a 12 garage with Breneke black magic slugs). Over the years, lots of people migrated to a 10mm with hardcast loads (myself included). I certainly heard stories of someone defending themselves with 9mm or .40 pistols, but man..... best thing was awareness 99% of the time. Have sprayed the hairspray twice and it definitely worked, on both the bear and me. Multiple options is important I say.

I heard they passed a new law that when u are attacked by a bear u have to first try to ask it to stop, then u have to try to make it go to sleep by singing it a lullaby, and then u can use deadly force.

Seriously though getting to the article about shot placement etc. with a 9mm regular handgun I would feel it's inadequate for a grizzly (for me). But if someone could shoot like a navy seal or something it may be plenty.

On the other hand if I had a PDW/PCC at my side on a sling I would feel much better armed because u can quickly put 30 rounds pretty well exactly where you want to. A high powered rifle could do it with less rounds but there is the issue of would u have it with u.

Example of carry method I'm talking about (not the specific gun). Or single point sling (can remove the little tail on the sling to make gun ride higher).

609BEE8B-2B48-4E83-9182-980C65E8BDF9.jpeg
4D01B8C3-2827-48A3-8744-D28464236E2C.jpeg

Last Edited:
A high powered rifle could do it with less rounds but there is the issue of would u have it with u.
That might raise some concerns with some game wardens about poaching because its supposed to be bow hunting season; so a PDW/pistol type is far better than a high power rifle that people might suspect one carrying during bow only season as being a poacher?

What I see in @ilikegunspdx post is a pistol. In Oregon it is legal to carry a pistol for self defense when bow hunting.
My 223/5.56 pistol packs more of a "thump" than about any other straight walled handgun cartridge, but I'd likely be carrying a 45 or a 44 for backup.

Unless there is a person that I need to be concerned is in my field of fire, guns over spray anytime. In this case (these cases) if the first person who was attacked by this bear killed it, there probably wouldn't be more to the story.

In my neck of the woods we only have black bears. They usually do one thing, run! That doesn't mean that I am not prepared.

This is IMHO, If you're gonna take a sidearm to defend against a bear/cougar attack while hunting make sure it is a MINIMUM of 357 MAG.
While there are reports of a few hunters who defended themselves with a 9mm, you must ask yourself, do you feel lucky?:s0092:
As stated this is my humble opinion.

And when the bear want to eat you---you use what you have. Bella Twin, world record grizzly, 1953.

Her bear rifle:

1571073692668.png

I heard they passed a new law that when u are attacked by a bear u have to first try to ask it to stop, then u have to try to make it go to sleep by singing it a lullaby, and then u can use deadly force.

Seriously though getting to the article about shot placement etc. with a 9mm regular handgun I would feel it's inadequate for a grizzly (for me). But if someone could shoot like a navy seal or something it may be plenty.

On the other hand if I had a PDW/PCC at my side on a sling I would feel much better armed because u can quickly put 30 rounds pretty well exactly where you want to. A high powered rifle could do it with less rounds but there is the issue of would u have it with u.

Example of carry method I'm talking about (not the specific gun). Or single point sling (can remove the little tail on the sling to make gun ride higher).

View attachment 621254
View attachment 621257
I mourn the fact that I bought the Sig AR rifle instead of pistol ...

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews