JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is IMHO, If you're gonna take a sidearm to defend against a bear/cougar attack while hunting make sure it is a MINIMUM of 357 MAG.
While there are reports of a few hunters who defended themselves with a 9mm, you must ask yourself, do you feel lucky?:s0092:
As stated this is my humble opinion.

Yah one of my buddies postulated that this wounded bear's hibernation would be affected and he would be waiting for us when we rifle hunt the area in November. Comforting thought. Not a chance I will have a 9mm sidearm.

Crazy that many attacks in such a short time. I was in Glacier NP at Upper Kintla Lake for a few days this week. Went in prepared, Marlin 45-70 in hand and Glock 29 on hip but luckily didn't see any signs of grizz.

I have been hunting the area where this happened for many years and as I said in another thread they have been known to relocate problem bears to this area. I am not saying that is what happened here but attacks on hunters is pretty much a yearly occurrence now. This particular bear needs to be hunted down with a hound and taken out.

That last attack is literally within a mile or so of where I killed my last elk. I told my buddies we should hunt together this year as I am pretty sure I can out run both of them. :D

dang; these archers were lucky to be alive.... I guess it depends on the type of bears; but this article seems to indicate that regardless of caliber, its shot placement, number of shots, and range...
I haven't found cases where .38 specials were used; so it seems 9mm is the minimum, the reported cases where 3 were successful in killing the bear with 9mm handguns and out of 35 strictly pistol cases; one was a failure to kill, with a .357 Magnum, that may not have hit the bear

If you recall that mrs tac and I drive across Canada every now and then, it made sense for us to attend a 'bear awareness' seminar in BC a few years back, having been reminded that on the Queen's Highway, AKA the Trans-Canada, bears on paws have priority over human on wheels.

Maybe you are not bothered by bears where YOU live, but on the other paw, you might just go to a part of the USA or Canada where THEY are, hence THIS little article, entitled 'tac's handy helpful tints and hips about bears'.

The very first thing you have to get firmly stuck in your mind is that not all bears are like 'Gentle Ben'. AFAIK, he was a one-off bear.

Sooooo, in the Canada and the lower 48 there are basically two kinds of bear, those who climb trees to get to you, and those that shake the tree until you fall out.

In the main, North America is the home to bears of two clearly different colours, black bears and brown bears.

Actually, Brown bears are light-coloured black bears, and black bears are dark-coloured brown bears. The very rare white bear, the so-called Kermode, is sacred to the native people of the Pacific North West, and is actually a brown bear. Not an albino variant, but an actual HTG white brown bear. The Northern so-called polar bear is actually pitch black under all that colourless fur, but is a brown bear living with a hefty dose of environmentally-induced evolution. He knows that, which is why, when he is sneaking up on you, he usually hides that cute black button nose. That CBBN can detect food under snow five feet deep...and smell you at a couple of miles.

Meanwhile, back in the warmer bits...

There are also large brownies and small brownies, large blacks and small blacks.

All bears are herbivores, but all bears are also carnivores. They eat berries and stuff when they can't get meat, and meat and stuff when they can't get berries. This can be dependent on just how normalised they are to human intervention in the form of Big Mac and Double Whoppers being left within nose-shot. And how much those stupid humans actually feed them, in spite of many warning notices against doing just that..

They only get picky when they are hungry, and a just-woke-up bear is going to be hungry. And tetchy, like a just-woke-up bear would be. Hence the well-known saying in the human world, right? Early Spring, then, when bears are coming out of their hibernation hidey-holes, is a great time to go to Florida, rather than the Great White North.

However, if you REALLY must go to where the bears are, here's a few things NOT to do.

1. Never walk right up to a bear. You'll likely get killed.

2. Never walk away from a bear. You'll likely get killed.

3. Never try and make it by running around a bear - in any direction. That big cuddly lump of slack-looking fur disguises muscles like coiled hawsers whose synapses operate up to twelve times faster than Bruce Lee on a good day. Ussain Bolt, once the fastest man on legs on the planet, could have a fifty yard start on most bears, and get caught at fifty-one by Ol' Fluffy over there. Grizzly bears, rightly named Ursus Horribilis, can run faster than Trigger on oats, jump straight up ten feet and come down with a thousand pounds of annoyed teeth. They can swat a fifty-pound seal twenty yards through the air by leaning over an overhanging ice-floe rim, too.

4. Never look a bear straight in the eye - this is confrontational in the extreme, and will likely get you killed.

5. Never look sideways at a bear; it will think that you are being sneaky, and likely get you killed.

6. Never get between a momma bear and her offspring – that will likely get you killed.

7. Never get between a cub and its momma bear, IT will likely run away, and its momma will chase it, make sure it's safe, and then come back. And THEN that will likely get you killed.

8. In cases of multiple choice - that is to say, more than one cub, just do the first thing that comes to mind. It really doesn't matter what it is, since the outcome is the same no matter what, but it gives you something to occupy you for the last few seconds of your life.

9. IF you must take to the woods, make sure that your travelling companion is wearing boots, and you are wearing runners. When he asks why, reminding you snidely that you'll likely never outrun a bear, just point out that you don't HAVE to be able to run faster than the bear, just faster than him.

And before anybody mentions pepper spray – note that all it really does is to flavour you up a bit, making you that little bit more tasty for Mr or Mrs Bear.

And one of the funnier stories, and there weren't that many of them, came up when one member of the audience asked if there was any mileage in 'warning the bear' of your presence by wearing anklets/bracelets of jolly little tinkly bells whilst out in the wood. The GW replied that there was no way on earth that any self-respecting bear wouldn't know that human was around in HIS woods, due to the appalling amount of strange and often tasty smells that humans emit [at both ends] simply by being there, the bear having around eighty times the olfactory power of the average human. As an adjunct to the question, he noted that from past experience it was easy to tell bear scat from deer scat, since the deer scat was full of bits of undigested pine needles and such-like, whereas the bear scat was often full of lots of little brass bells.

But apart from all the usual don't do's and must do's, there is one thing that has stuck firmly in my mind - a short movie taken by a tourist from the relative safety of a pick-up of a large griz chasing a forest ranger down a fire-break on the outskirts of Prince George.

The bear was surely catching up with the ranger and was just about to make a lunge, when the ranger cleared a ten-foot ditch and got away. It's not that the ranger was any kind of a great athlete, but that the horse that he was riding - at a calculated 24.3 mph - was determined not to be a bear lunch. Oh yes, and bears CAN run downhill. Remember I noted the 'relative safety of a pickup truck? A few years back, in a Crown Land parking lot, the driver came back to his big shiny pickup to find that both doors had been pulled off their hinges by a large brown bear who had gotten wind of his sausage sammidge. Not having a key, the bear just worried at the doors until they came off and he was still inside, too. And lastly, a note that very few things can actually be designed to totally bear proof. We had stopped at Field, BC, to drop off some postcards, and remarked on the pretty scandalous state of a couple of small dumpsters in the nearby parking lot.

'Yeah', said the postmistress, 'they were 'sposed to be bear-proof…' They don't seem to have had much problem getting in to them though, eh, I noted. 'Naw,' she said, 'that wasn't them getting in, they was getting OUT that wrecked 'em.'

So don't let any tree-huggin' bambi-lovin' loon tell you that they REALLY are just berry-loving cuddly old things. Basically, they are carnivores at heart - just lookit them teeth and tell me that they are designed to hold down a struggling pumpkin.

The best course of action, where bears are concerned, is to settle down on your towel with a good book and a nice drinky, preferably on Bondi Beach.

My bear sprayer has controlled round feed just in case I have to shoot, err I mean spray from an awkward position or nerves make me short stroke.

My bear sprayer has controlled round feed just in case I have to shoot, err I mean spray from an awkward position or nerves make me short stroke.

My bear spray has a .30 caliber magazine clip that empties in 1/2 a second. If I use the shoulder thing that goes up anyway. :s0140:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top