JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No, we were not armed, and no it wasn't a matter of controlled circumstances. We didn't have a history on these people beyond why the police scooped them up and dumped them on our doorstep (e.g. running down the street naked, chasing his wife with a meat cleaver comes to mind). What made the difference was the approach. We didn't scream at them repeatedly to "get on the ground", so that no real communication was possible. We didn't come at them with drawn weapons in our hands. We asked them to let us help them. We told them that everything was going to be OK. And then we told the incredulous LEOs to remove the handcuffs. It might have taken 3 officers to get that cuffed individual into the back seat of a squad car, but we usually got nothing but calm cooperation. Don't forget we worked with a ward containing 60 to 80 of these individuals all day long, every day. We got an occasional bump or bruise, but it was part of the job so we accepted it and kept going.

But all of that misses the point. That being that LEOs have policies and procedures to follow. They're trained in how to handle certain situations in certain ways. They are required to obey the law. We have only one of two choices here. When someone is killed by the police in a questionable situation they either followed the law, their training, and department policies, or they didn't. If they didn't they should be convicted of a crime and/or terminated. If they did follow all those requirements and the killing still stinks to high heaven then the laws, training, and policies need to be changed. If that means that some LEOs no longer want to perform the job then so be it.

On the topic of prosecuting bad cops, the problem is that the good cops almost invariably refuse to testify against a fellow officer. Everybody covers everybody else's butt, regardless of right and wrong. If good cops want to be respected then they need to remove the bad apples from among their ranks. Instead, whenever there's a questionable killing they circle the wagons and support each other, no matter how wrong the offending officer is. You might think I'm against cops in general, but I'm not. Here's how I feel about it:

View attachment 119241

I would agree with you on that sentiment. I grew up with respect for the police, like many, I also learned not to argue or fight with the police. Up to this point in my life, that has served me well and I personally have no complaints with the interactions I've had over the years. I know not everyone can say the same thing. I know we can't live without the police to enforce the laws, they are a necessary part of our government.

With that in mind, I don't think they should have immunity when they break the law and/or violate the policies and training they're bound to. I'd love to hear someone come up with an idea that would satisfy the need to deal with the occasional officer that steps outside the bounds. Citizen review boards seem to be somewhat effective, but clearly more is needed depending on the circumstance.

Likely the best thing is for citizens to continue to demand reasonable reviews and, when necessary, prosecution or dismissal. Perhaps with the addition of the wearable cameras, it will help for all involved. I guess we'll see.

Monica,
You said, "The problem appears to be with authority in general, not just LEO". Interesting usage of the word authority. Sounds like some people love to be controlled by authority, after all, ohhhh, they do wear a BADGE, or a CROWN.. Lord forbid one ever disobeys the badge. Whether LEO is right or wrong. YOU must obey. Some people have been known to have KISSED the RING. Respect is earned! Not given because you have a badge on your chest.

Interesting, to say the least, and eye POPPING opening. The test of the goodness in ones heart for sure. I agree with Mr.Harvey.
Oh,yes. What a great radio voice Mr. Paul Harvey had. He certainly had a way with the people. So is this the same Mr. Paul Harvey, whom was "great friends " with J. Edgar Hoover, & Senator Joseph R. McCarthy. So who wrote the policeman? Paul Harvey....or the FBI. I suggest you research Paul Harvey, J Edgar Hoover, the FBI & Joseph R. McCarthy. Then MAYBE you'll understand...."THE REST OF THE STORY".........Oh, yes... great video......loved it!!!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top