JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
C'mon! Be a bush pilot. Stick your finger in yer mouth, hold it in the air and say, "that'll do 'er."
Knew a guy back in Michigan who reconfigured his landing gear with a scoop and vanes on the back of the rotor (like a turbo charger) so when he was landing, the wheels would spin to match air speed. No idea how he actually did it, since I never saw his plane.
Said he saved thousands on tire wear costs. I had no idea they were that expensive -- I thought he was BS'ing me.

I worked in the the commercial part of the tire industry for almost two decades and had this question come about from time to time. The mail issue is the speed rating, and construction quality. The ag type floatation tires can handle the weight with ease but don't tend to be very round at all (think egg like) and would come apart at most landing speeds. I've seen farmers pulling them down the road at 60+ mph and cringe after moving a safe distance away. Another aspect would be finding a tire shop willing to mount them.
I've seen some of the videos you've posted showing short take offs and landings and if that is the absolute norm they may just hold up. I'm not sure I'd like to chance it though. Wish I could help out!

I worked in the the commercial part of the tire industry for almost two decades and had this question come about from time to time. The mail issue is the speed rating, and construction quality. The ag type floatation tires can handle the weight with ease but don't tend to be very round at all (think egg like) and would come apart at most landing speeds. I've seen farmers pulling them down the road at 60+ mph and cringe after moving a safe distance away. Another aspect would be finding a tire shop willing to mount them.
I've seen some of the videos you've posted showing short take offs and landings and if that is the absolute norm they may just hold up. I'm not sure I'd like to chance it though. Wish I could help out!
The Armstrongs that I used to run were not out of round.
I could run 60+MPH with them no problem.
The OP need to find a tire guy that knows where the bear schitts in the buckwheat.
That guy will fix him up.

My tire guy was Dick Cepek, but he's gone now.

The Armstrongs that I used to run were not out of round.
I could run 60+MPH with them no problem.
The OP need to find a tire guy that knows where the bear schitts in the buckwheat.
That guy will fix him up.

My tire guy was Dick Cepek, but he's gone now.
I get that, I see it happen all the time. I was just saying that speed ratings could come into play with an airplane. Most all ag type tire are rated to 30mph only. I'd really hate to give any advice that could get someone hurt or worse.

Most of my Landings are well under 30 MPH, with 18( Have gotten down as low as 11!) being about the norm! At Maxim weight, I still never exceed about 50 MPH on take off, and with any wind, can usually get up around 30 ish!

Most of my Landings are well under 30 MPH, with 18( Have gotten down as low as 11!) being about the norm! At Maxim weight, I still never exceed about 50 MPH on take off, and with any wind, can usually get up around 30 ish!
I'm sure they would work fine until they didn't. The ag tires compared to a DOT approved tire are a much lower manufacturing cost (think cheap) process. They tend to have a higher failure rate, especially when moving at a high rate of speed (for them). I was a "tire guy" until fairly recently , with 17 years experience. I, just from my personal experience, couldn't contiously reccomend trying it.

Great News, Just got of the Phone with a Tire supplier in Cali who specializes in Aircraft tires, turns out I have about 12 options for suitable tires, and 8 of them are exactly what I am looking for! Now I need to do some home work and decide which option best fits my needs! Looks like GoodYear is still producing their version of a "Bush Wheel" all these years later, and has in fact expanded the line up to cover most needs, and FireStone has as well!

So now the big question? Do I run with a 8 inch diameter rim ( what i already have ) or do I step up to a 10 inch rim ( and upgrade my brakes, which I really want to) and then have to find suitable rims! It's a good problem to have says me!
So, while all the new options require an inner tube, tubes are cheap and easy to replace in the bush!

The Tire suppler sent me all the specs of the tires i'm looking at, so it's just a matter of making a good choice based on my needs and the tire that best meets those needs!

Looks like an ATV/UTV rim with bead locks is the best answer, and there are brake options to really improve the stopping power and increase brake pad and rotor life!

DESSER-800-4 4 PLY, SMOOTH REMOLD AIRCRAFT TIRE-GOODYEAR-AWBS.asp
Desser Tire & Rubber Co., LLC

I see we need a new "tire guy" around here.

:)
:rolleyes: I never said I was good at it, lol. I just am not into giving advice that could get someone hurt. I generally don't see anyone giving advice on reloads to push something beyond what it is designed to do, I'm applying the same to tires. People do get by with driving their ag tires at 60 mph every day, I do not reccomend it. I've seen enough fail (I was usually the one the farmer had to call to change it out) to know it is a common problem. That's all.

The only thing I've ever heard about airplane tires, that they are like 30 ply. Not sure if that's right or not. My grandpa used to put tires of very high ply and go down nasty crap to pull out deer. It was pretty hilarious.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top