JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Are you starting at 25 yards to get/be on paper? Most people do.
And most people stop shooting when they see a single sideways bullet strike.. you tenacious bugger! lol
good luck
i started at 200 yards which is where I was shooting some weeks back. I realized that my scope adjustment threw me off so off I went to the 50/100 yard range to dial it in. I friggin hate tuning a gun with a new scope on it (or recently adjusted) - I flat suck at it. The only time where I was highly successful was with an uber expensive trijicon - that one was almost plug and play - a few rounds down range and I was dialed in. This and other scopes meh....not so much.

BTW you can see me struggling to find the target - I just adjustment the mounts on the scope and was working the rounds into the bull....it just took me 300 rounds to get there ( or thereabouts) ....
I had a Bushmaster with a barrel that had pitting in the last inch of the barrel. Don't know why it was there. I bought the gun used. A close examination of the crown showed no build-up, but a carbon pattern that was missing one point on the 6 pointed star that should have been there. That barrel threw 8 inch groups at 100 yards. I had the barrel shortened 2 inches and re-crowned. That cured the problem. Back to 1 inch or smaller groups.

Oh and that was a joke.
When you say "strong crimp", what do you mean? Are those bullet strikes about half the length of sideways bullets? just wondering.
I've never crimped 5.56/223 in my life.

I was wondering that - but eh I'll answer all questions to include what I was wearing when I was loading them... crimp is where it should be, but perhaps a bit more pronounced than others I have done. 223 and 308 I crimp - dont ask me why I just started doing it and kept on kept on. ammo for bolt guns I dont.

I had a Bushmaster with a barrel that had pitting in the last inch of the barrel. Don't know why it was there. I bought the gun used. A close examination of the crown showed no build-up, but a carbon pattern that was missing one point on the 6 pointed star that should have been there. That barrel threw 8 inch groups at 100 yards. I had the barrel shortened 2 inches and re-crowned. That cured the problem. Back to 1 inch or smaller groups.
probably can't do that or I'd need to register as a SBR

probably can't do that or I'd need to register as a SBR
This was a 24" Varminter barrel. So 22" worked out OK. I sold that barrel to Pinkhammer (RIP Randy), who was thrilled with it's performance, and replaced it with a 24" stainless bull barrel. I now get all holes touching.

I used to have this problem with an old Ar180 with a 1/12 twist. any time I tried any thing heavier then 55 grain, It would keyhole every shot at every range! When I went to a 1/9 twist on my Ar 15 National Match, I would see the same tendencies when the weights went up! I believe that the twist makes all the difference and this might be part of the problem here! Not having enough details of the rifle and what you are trying to achieve with your loads, I can only surmise that you have too heavy a bullet and not enough twist! I may be wrong, but thats what I have found in my own experience!

I used to have this problem with an old Ar180 with a 1/12 twist. any time I tried any thing heavier then 55 grain, It would keyhole every shot at every range! When I went to a 1/9 twist on my Ar 15 National Match, I would see the same tendencies when the weights went up! I believe that the twist makes all the difference and this might be part of the problem here! Not having enough details of the rifle and what you are trying to achieve with your loads, I can only surmise that you have too heavy a bullet and not enough twist! I may be wrong, but thats what I have found in my own experience!
That sounds right. A heavier bullet needs more spin to stabilize.

I think you need to have a smith look down the pipe with a bore scope after you clean it. Also do you ever use a copper remover as part of your cleaning regimen? 300 rds to sight in? Is that an exaggeration? Barrels can be ruined by being overheated.

I think you need to have a smith look down the pipe with a bore scope after you clean it. Also do you ever use a copper remover as part of your cleaning regimen? 300 rds to sight in? Is that an exaggeration? Barrels can be ruined by being overheated.
Completely exaggerated in the most hyperbolic way. It did take 40 ish rounds to work it in the bull with its new and unwanted tumbling feature.

BTW did you see the video of the guy cooking bacon on the barrel of his AK as he pumped magazine after magazine through his gun! If not and your interested youtube it - funny stuff right there. His barrel may be toast but he has a pile of tasty bacon.

Ah the beauty of the ar platform, slap another pipe on it and you are good to go. I would suggest one of the heavy chrome lined fn chf barrels. Mine is quite accurate and very durable. I'll have to look that video up sounds hilarious.

Yes, a faster twist like 1in 7 will stabilize heavier bullets better than a slower twist like 1 in 12. Op said he had shot this same load before without the tumbling problem if I am not mistaken.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top