JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
OK - just went out and cleaned the gun - there certainly was carbon buildup at the end of the muzzle - not as extreme as the pic above but there was certainly a buildup. I cleaned it and put it back together. I'll get some factory ammo and use my reloads and see what happens......more to follow - Team Tumbler.

Good call @Velzey.. I've seen/had some barrel crowns get pretty ganky. It's hard to see anything though with most all muzzle devices.
Here's a horror pic from the net..

G100_0280_img.jpg

You wanna see real horror, image search fouled suppressor can..

I guess I should have been a little more clear in my first post about carbon build up inside muzzle devices.

Carbon can build up so much, and harden. So when the bullets pass thru the mb it starts striking bits of hardened carbon build up. Thus destabilizing the bullet enough for them to start key holing.

The intense heat caused by the flash adds to and also hardens the carbon with each shot. Keep shooting and not notice the build up... And oh where did my muzzle break just fly off to? :(

Stability and accuracy certainly do go hand in hand. Ever heard of a badly cut or damaged crown causing inaccuracy? Gasses escaping the base of the bullet at the crown unevenly can cause the bullet to yaw which negatively affects stability and accuracy. The carbon build up on the crown certainly could add to this instability. My gut feeling is that it is a combination of a worn barrel and the carbon build up on the crown.

And bullet stability is a range/spectrum with different contributing variables (twist, bullet, speed, etc.). If those variables are such that an already unstable bullet yaws to such a degree that a wildly wowed crown/muzzle face then causes that bullet to tumble, I think it'd be safe to say that a cockeyed crown can "cause"/contribute to tumbling.
anyway

I guess I should have been a little more clear in my first post about carbon build up inside muzzle devices.

Carbon can build up so much, and harden. So when the bullets pass thru the mb it starts striking bits of hardened carbon build up. Thus destabilizing the bullet enough for them to start key holing.

The intense heat caused by the flash adds to and also hardens the carbon with each shot. Keep shooting and not notice the build up... And oh where did my muzzle break just fly off to? :(
I'm with you, I just think as carbon builds up when the bullet strikes, it shaves carbon not allowing it to affect each and every bullet like a damaged crown would.....or damaged muzzle device.
I don't disbelieve it can happen, just doesnt seem like this case where it keyholes every shot at 50 yards
not arguing just trying to learn or help eliminate

Sure it is.
Hold on.. I'll draw you a picture of that photograph. brb
nothing to offer as usual....don't need a pic , I used to machine rifle barrels....just not a gunsmith and neither are you apparently.....anyway sheep on dude

here is a pic of what the target looked like. Yeah....i think i have a problem....like i said the muzzle is now cleaned and I will try a comparison between factory and non factory rounds.

keyhole.PNG

BTW you can see me struggling to find the target - I just adjustment the mounts on the scope and was working the rounds into the bull....it just took me 300 rounds to get there ( or thereabouts) ....

Are you starting at 25 yards to get/be on paper? Most people do.
And most people stop shooting when they see a single sideways bullet strike.. you tenacious bugger! lol
good luck

See those first few shots on the target sideways? yah shoulda stopped after that! :eek:

it was hard to tell. Nevertheless even when I realized what was happening I kept at it. It takes me 40 minutes to get to the range - come hell or high water I'm shootin even if I need to buy a new barrel at the end.

if you guys had to replicate that - could you?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top