JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It was a tough day at the range. I found that my bullets are tumbling - the holes in the target are, in some cases, a perfect sideways silhouette of the projectile.

i am shooting 55 grain hornady fmjbt loaded with 22 grain of LT-32. The cases were necked and sized accordingly. shooting out of an AR which I am unsure of the twist rate. anyone have any ideas on what is causing this? I've shot probably a 1000 rounds out of that gun and have never noticed that. All the prior rounds were mostly my reloads with the remaining being factory ammo.

Thanks.

So was today the first day of using 22gr's of LT-32 in this firearm?

And also look inside your muzzle break/crown area. I've seen build up that is rather shocking.... Causes all kinds of key holed targets!

i see this is a bit more complex than I thought. i've used LT-32 before, the gun was cleaned prior to going to the range. the bullets keyholed or tumbled at both 50 yards and 100 yards. - i dont have a chrono, but may buy one as it seems like the right thing -

image.jpeg Standard bore cleaning won't remove carbon build up inside the muzzle device and around the crown.. If it even has one.

Velzey, great photo!

Isolate the issue, shoot a box of factory ammo. No stovepiping? It's the reloads.
My first chronograph was the Chrony F, 35 years old and still works, very basic.
Current chronograph CED-M2, lots of features and ability to store up to 500 shots.
Next chronograph will be the MagnetoSpeed Sporter, uses a microsd, downloads to cellphone

If it's a dirty barrel, brush and mop with Hoppes#9.
Leave the bore wet with Hoppes, muzzle down, on an old rag.
3 days later, brush and mop, back on the old rag.
Notice black and green scum. Black is powder residue, green is copper jacket.
Do this again and again till the bore is clean. Hoppes works chemically to dissolve the junk.
Hoppes does not hurt the bore.

who makes the barrel and is it treated, QPQ, chrome or bare ?

I have seen sub par barrel steel have rifling shot out in 1000 rounds of hot reloads

90% of the time it is because the bullet isn't spun up enough.......since you have never seen this before ,the tumbling bullets are light and short it stands to reason the lands are worn in the bore.

carbon on the crown....doubtful IMO

I've eroded a barrel throat and lands in as little as 300 rounds pushing hot reloads. So it's very possible.
But when that happens I've never had a keyhole.. Just group growth.

I've eroded a barrel throat and lands in as little as 300 rounds pushing hot reloads. So it's very possible.
But when that happens I've never had a keyhole.. Just group growth.
I could see a damaged crown but you think carbon would do it ? just doesn't seem like the carbon would exist long enough to contact the bullet more than once

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top