JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok so a while back I went searching for a Truck gun to haul around in my Willys Jeep (think tiny interior limited storage space)

I went with a Trapper Length Winchester model 94 in 30-30 cause it fits (narrow is very important)

So that part of this is done. Not going to change to a wiz bang what ever. I have the Firearm I will be using as a truck gun.

So now my thoughts are running to ammo. Not what load (I already know that I load a real nice 125gr FPHP Sierra slug) but how much to carry with and how to store transport it. I was thinking plastic slip cover boxes and maybe a belt that holds 20 rounds.

I would stay away from plastic (but thats just me) go with a .30 cal metal can (spray paint your color) with light foam/cardboard inside....yes it may rust but not on the inside....I would think about bolting it down as well.....depending on your style/environment. You could always fill 1/2 full and put your belt loaded in the can...

Help at all or create more questions?

I'd go with the plastic mini Ammo cans with seals and lock option and put a combo lock on it for easy access and add a desiccant for any unwanted moisture inside it.

Plan on shooting those 20 rounds in the belt every month in the winter and every couple of months in the spring thru fall to guaranty it works.

Just my 2¢

I've always been a fan of the .30 caliber Ammo cans and bolting to the floor or deck. A hasp can be added for a lock. I prefer keys to combo because memories have a strange habit of changing during times of stress; keys don't. Personally, I like the MTM ammo boxes in the 20 round size. They're designed to be clipped to a belt. Grab, Clip and Go. One, Two or ???. I'm not a big fan of gun belts of ammo but I do like the Bandoleers for LARGE amounts but would stay with the MTM cases.

Good Luck.

I went with a Trapper Length Winchester model 94 in 30-30 cause it fits
Good choice!
(I already know that I load a real nice 125gr FPHP Sierra slug)
GREAT choice! This bullet 'transformed' the 30-30.
but how much to carry with and how to store transport it. I was thinking plastic slip cover boxes and maybe a belt that holds 20 rounds.
I use the slipcover boxes and if you could find an ammo can that they would nest snugly in would be great. Not a fan of plastic either but I have seen some of the plastic ammo can style that look pretty heavy duty.
How much do you plan on shooting? I can go out for a Jeep ride and wind up putting 50 or more through one of my 30-30s or other lever guns in short order.

I think the vehicle and the rifle are a great match. Kinda curious as to how you plan on carrying the rifle while in the Jeep.

It will most likely be stored in box under the back seat. There is no room for a 30cal ammo can in the plan. The storage box under the seat will be build very securely and in a place very hard to "work on". It will also be completely air tight just like a military ammo can.

The Jeep will also have a full metal insulated hard top.

How about a leather shell pouch laced to the stock!?!? Many can hold 10 rounds, and you can get Many different types, some can even be attached to a belt and make a bandiler of it! Conversely, you could also carry loose ammo in small pouches like the old WW1 clip pouches, and could make a good fast means of grabbing shells and loading your rifle!
Jmho:)

Your storage box sounds like a great place for the MTM ammo boxes I mentioned. I've always thought the Hard Top Wrangler made so much more sense but then a Convertible isn't my idea of good unless it's a '60s Jaguar XKE!!!:):):)

Bandolier or belt full of shells, with a couple boxes to refill as needed. With the lever gun you won't be blasting away like a mag fed semi - you are probably more likely to make every shot count. I don't think I would pack more than you can reasonably carry if you have to ditch the jeep. You could make a redneck tactical chest rig and run 10 flap cover mag pouches full of loose rounds, but that'd be heavy and totally against the style with that truck & gun combo :D

All good ideas guys things to think about. Course I really need to be getting the actual JEEP done (been at it for years now) Hoping for about another year to be on the road.

So is the backup to this lever gun a big bore revolver with deep blue finish and wood stocks, or stainless with black rubber? :D something about lever guns screams the need for a classy wheel gun to go with - and I am not a western movie fan or revolver lover.

Always been told you fight with the ammo that is on the gun. So even if you decide to add a few plastic boxes (or some more water resistant method), I would suggest having a butt-cuff with between five and ten rounds...

I like the idea of a butt cuff. But I am trying to keep the package as thin as possible. and a butt cuff is going to make the storage requirements at least 5/8" thicker then the bare rifle.

As to the companion handgun. That will vary a lot. Or may not even be one in the picture.

The idea here is to hide a carbine so that it can be available at any time.

I don't write well but hope I can get my idea through in the post. It sounds like you have a spot you are going to carry the rifle and you want extra ammo to fit in that same area. Leather rots and corrode ammo so I suggest a belt pouch that holds a 20 round plastic rifle ammo box. It would be as thin as the stock and should fit nicely under the barrel where the gun rides.

Edited to add, they make a shotgun belt pouch that would hold a box of 30 30, I will look for it and try to find a picture.

Or even the single mag pouch by vodoo for the AR 15 would Cary a plastic box of 30 30

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR