JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been thinking about a truck gun and had some questions.
For a number of reasons I often can't carry on my body/ with me and I have been thinking about keeping something in my car. Probably well hidden as part of my get home tools, but would not be easily accessible.

1. Do you have one and handgun, rifle or both?
2. Is it hidden or easily accessible? Do load in/out daily?
3. Is it one of your 'quality' guns or more of a cheaper backup?
4. How many rounds? Range type ammo or self defense?
5. Other stuff to consider?

Thanks

Car guns are pretty much illegal in Washington.
Really, that sucks.

Did a quick search and this is part of one of the sub sections. Is there something else I'm missing?

(iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

I could also just keep it unloaded with mags in bag.

5. Other stuff to consider?

Thanks
The problem with a vehicle gun...and the reason I haven't done it...is securing it for all the times you are not there. If I was going to keep a gun in a vehicle full time, I would absolutely want a beefed up safe...well beyond the standard thin steel lock box that is cable locked to a seat bracket. I'd want something that is solidly hard mounted into the vehicle, decent steel thickness, and decent lock. And even then I've always figured there is probably a greater risk of my car (and gun) being stolen, than of me needing a truck rifle. YMMV.

I would ask myself "what am I wanting a gun to do?' As in what are the perceived threats. Two very different situations might be an attack in an urban environment or stuck in a snow bank and have to feed myself with Chipmunks until the Spring thaw. In the first case I'd want the gun in my hand locked and loaded at the first sign of trouble. In the second case I could dig out my Squirrel gun as I'm setting up my camp.

Normal car/truck gun: G19X & 2 mags of 19.

If on a road trip, I'll add my 300 BO pistol with 3 topped mags.

Then saying, I'm your huckleberry feels more appropriate.

There are few times when I run a vehicle firearm, and it's for trips to certain locations where I can take the firearms in with me in a case or am out camping...

I have on my person, my carry which most often is a full size 10mm and/or 9mm.

The vehicle firearm is always a pistol of some kind so its covered by my CHL and that pistol is commonly an AR Pistol. More recently, my PSA JAKL 5.56, and the can I recently got. Couple extra mags in each of the front doors, standard 30rd mags, and green tips loaded in the pistol.

Mostly, a round is not chambered unless in an area that's deemed more risky, my pistols on my person, always a round chambered.

20240303_095911.jpg

So I just walked through a large parking lot - how can you tell if a car has a weapon in it unless you can see it. I suspect the criminals can't tell either.

I was not aware of this, would you please point me to that regulation.

Loaded rifle or shotgun in vehicle—Unlawful use or possession—Unlawful use of a loaded firearm—Penalty.
(1) A person is guilty of unlawful possession of a loaded rifle or shotgun in a motor vehicle, as defined in RCW 46.04.320, or upon an off-road vehicle, as defined in RCW 46.04.365, if:
(a) The person carries, transports, conveys, possesses, or controls a rifle or shotgun in a motor vehicle, or upon an off-road vehicle, except as allowed by department rule; and
(b) The rifle or shotgun contains shells or cartridges in the magazine or chamber, or is a muzzle-loading firearm that is loaded and capped or primed.
(5) For purposes of subsection (1) of this section, a rifle or shotgun shall not be considered loaded if the detachable clip or magazine is not inserted in or attached to the rifle or shotgun.
IOW, as long as the magazine is not inserted, it's not considered loaded.

Washington generally prohibits the possession or transportation of a loaded rifle or shotgun in or on a motor vehicle.
Old anti-poaching laws. A loaded pistol is okay with CPL. No loaded rifles or shotguns in or on a motorized vehicle even leaning against or in the truck bed. If the jacks are down on a motorhome or camper it's okay. Huge No-No in Wa State, and unlikely to ever change that law. AR pistols plus CPL no problem.

Guns left unattended in vehicles…. Secured or not I think is stupid/unwise and has more cons than pros at the end of the day. Especially if you live in a metro area.

This is not directed at those who live out in the country/rural locations.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews