JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys, my wife and I are planning to go out in the woods tomorrow or Saturday to sight-in our shotguns and AR-15. I was just wondering what are the current laws here in Oregon about having long guns in car while traveling. Can I have my AR-15 magazines loaded but not inserted in the gun? also can I travel with my shotgun that have shotgun shells on the side saddle but guns are not loaded? I have a CHL but I just want to make sure I am not breaking any laws before we travel and I don't want to get in trouble if I ever get pulled over.

Thanks in advance.

AJM

Long guns do not have to be “not readily accessible” but if you don’t have a concealed handgun license and you are in a locality that restricts loaded firearms it must be unloaded.

You have a few cities around you that restrict loaded firearms, even in your vehicle.

City of Tigard Ordinance 7.32.125

City of Beaverton Code 5.08.240

Oregon exempts you from all of it with a CHL. THere is also an exemption for traveling to and from or engaged in fishing, hunting and a shooting range.

(3) “Loaded firearm” means:
(a) A breech-loading firearm in which there is an unexpended cartridge or shell in or attached to the firearm including but not limited to, in a chamber, magazine or clip which is attached to the firearm.

Your side saddle could be considered attached and therefore loaded.

If you venture up into WA, just make sure the mag is out of the gun, and no round in the chamber. Loaded mag is ok, just not inserted. Sidesaddle should be fine. Check into the RCW 9.41 if you want the details.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top