JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My last boss did away with them on the farm due to liabilities. I.E. Neighbors dogs going on the alfalfa fields and being injured.

Told me someone got sued. We use different stuff for gophers and moles now.
Dogs not on a leash in my county get shot so wouldn't be an issue trapping them.

Try some of these,

trap%20image.JPG

For Gophers

1c192d5c-d9b0-4fa0-a2d7-b85a8d3f2b30_300.jpg

For Moles

1187SportsmanCamo-prod.ashx

For all other varmits!

I had fun out there!

Cabela's doesn't open till october.

Spotlighting and following it up with the shotgun at 2:30am isn't going to go over well with the neighbors.

I was hoping someone had seen them locally.

My bet is on a coon doing the damage.
Here is a short excerpt found on the web explaining their behavior.

Hunting Behavior:
"A raccoon that gets into your coop or run will normally kill multiple birds if they can get to them, and the bodies will usually be left where they were killed, rather than carried away. Raccoons won't eat the whole bird or even most of it: they will often just eat the contents of your birds' crops and occasionally some of the chest. They are awfully destructive of your flocks' lives without bothering to eat much of their victims."

"They can climb walls and over fencing; they can reach their hands through wire mesh that is too small for their whole bodies to fit. In that last case, they will pull out parts of your birds if that is all they can get reach. They have great manual dexterity and can open complex latches and closures. They can dig under fences and into runs. For most people in the US, raccoons are probably the worst and most common wild predator of chickens. "

My solution to eradicate a problem coon, was to string some fishing line from the coop area, to the inside of my bedroom window. I attached a small metal bell on my end and a piece of raw chicken neck dangling from a 2' wooden post near the coop at the other end.
I have a .22 rifle that shoots shorts, long & long rifle ammo, and a scope that has illuminated cross hairs.
The first night I set this up, the coon showed up right after I went to bed.
I had a window already open and the rifle loaded with shorts (inside city boundaries).
One shot to the under side of the jaw while it was trying to figure out how to untie the meat, and it was over for her. I really like the illuminated cross hairs.

Sounds like a coon. A #1-1/2 flat or coil spring leg hold trap will do the job, and is not large enough to do any permanent damage to a dog. Cats are as bad as coons, so no great loss if you trap one.

Both times, only a few birds were left. The others were dragged off never to be seen again, just a trail of feathers. They did not come back the next night or even the night after. I've got an access point under a fence, but I need a trap to get it coming under the fence.

I'm guessing nobody knows where to get traps locally....

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top