Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Trapping Around the Farm

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by Grizzly_A, May 22, 2014.

1. Grizzly_A

Grizzly_A Portland Metro Area Member

Anyone know any local stores that sell foot traps? I used to see them at Coastal and Wilco years ago, but can't say I've seen them recently.

The traps would only be used on private property for controlling predation.

2. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

eBay has a bunch of them for sale.

3. 44mag2ndamend

44mag2ndamend Round the ole tree stump, Down by the crick Well-Known Member

My last boss did away with them on the farm due to liabilities. I.E. Neighbors dogs going on the alfalfa fields and being injured.

Told me someone got sued. We use different stuff for gophers and moles now.

4. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

Dogs not on a leash in my county get shot so wouldn't be an issue trapping them.

ocarolan and ZigZagZeke like this.
  5. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

Cabelas

6. 44mag2ndamend

44mag2ndamend Round the ole tree stump, Down by the crick Well-Known Member

Try some of these,

trap%20image.JPG

For Gophers

1c192d5c-d9b0-4fa0-a2d7-b85a8d3f2b30_300.jpg

For Moles

1187SportsmanCamo-prod.ashx

For all other varmits!

I had fun out there!

Don H likes this.
  7. Grizzly_A

Cabela's doesn't open till october.

Spotlighting and following it up with the shotgun at 2:30am isn't going to go over well with the neighbors.

I was hoping someone had seen them locally.

8. Twodogs

Twodogs portland Or Active Member

How about snares?

9. jbett98

What exactly are you trying to trap?

10. Grizzly_A

Not sure. something dug under the fence and murdered 13 chickens on 2 occassions. I don't know if it's a feral cat, coon, possum, coyote?

11. jbett98

My bet is on a coon doing the damage.
    Here is a short excerpt found on the web explaining their behavior.

Hunting Behavior:
    "A raccoon that gets into your coop or run will normally kill multiple birds if they can get to them, and the bodies will usually be left where they were killed, rather than carried away. Raccoons won't eat the whole bird or even most of it: they will often just eat the contents of your birds' crops and occasionally some of the chest. They are awfully destructive of your flocks' lives without bothering to eat much of their victims."

"They can climb walls and over fencing; they can reach their hands through wire mesh that is too small for their whole bodies to fit. In that last case, they will pull out parts of your birds if that is all they can get reach. They have great manual dexterity and can open complex latches and closures. They can dig under fences and into runs. For most people in the US, raccoons are probably the worst and most common wild predator of chickens. "

My solution to eradicate a problem coon, was to string some fishing line from the coop area, to the inside of my bedroom window. I attached a small metal bell on my end and a piece of raw chicken neck dangling from a 2' wooden post near the coop at the other end.
    I have a .22 rifle that shoots shorts, long & long rifle ammo, and a scope that has illuminated cross hairs.
    The first night I set this up, the coon showed up right after I went to bed.
    I had a window already open and the rifle loaded with shorts (inside city boundaries).
    One shot to the under side of the jaw while it was trying to figure out how to untie the meat, and it was over for her. I really like the illuminated cross hairs.

12. Twodogs

Twodogs portland Or Active Member

I would pick up a live trap If I was trapping in town.

13. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer

Sounds like a coon. A #1-1/2 flat or coil spring leg hold trap will do the job, and is not large enough to do any permanent damage to a dog. Cats are as bad as coons, so no great loss if you trap one.

14. Grizzly_A

Both times, only a few birds were left. The others were dragged off never to be seen again, just a trail of feathers. They did not come back the next night or even the night after. I've got an access point under a fence, but I need a trap to get it coming under the fence.

I'm guessing nobody knows where to get traps locally....