JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Do not get me wrong. I shoot my larger caliber carry guns as well as most people. I am quite confident in my ability to hit a target with my Kahr PM40, XD-40SC, and others. It is just that every time I go to the range I am reminded that I shoot my Walther PPK better than any gun I own. I do not know if it is the gun, me, or a perfect melding of the two but I can shoot the wings off a gnat at 30 paces with that thing.

This leaves me torn between carrying a gun I am competent with (which has more over-all power) or carrying a less powerful gun with which I am extremely accurate and know I can hit a target where I need to hit them...especially at close range.

Anyone else face this same decision? What did you decide? ..or do you keep going back and forth like me?

I would hope you carry the PPK:D:D While you think about that, ask yourself how many people who need to carry a gun carry the PPK every day.

jj

My personal, inexperienced opinion is that a situation where I need to pull my CCW gun I will likely be close enough to reach out and touch the perpetrator.
I would usually agree with that, but in this day and age I start seeing it as more likely that a person might need to take down someone with a weapon from a greater distance. Such as if someone bursts into a mall or other public place shooting. You might not be right next to them when stopping them becomes necessary...and seconds could mean dozens of lives. :)

I would usually agree with that, but in this day and age I start seeing it as more likely that a person might need to take down someone with a weapon from a greater distance. Such as if someone bursts into a mall or other public place shooting. You might not be right next to them when stopping them becomes necessary...and seconds could mean dozens of lives. :)

Good point!

My personal, inexperienced opinion is that a situation where I need to pull my CCW gun I will likely be close enough to reach out and touch the perpetrator.

While my exspearience is lacking in gunfighting I can't seem to find anyone who is an authority who recomends the PPK as a primary carry weapon. However useing common sense I would like my enemy armed with a lesser caliber gun.

Just my opinion.

jj

Like most people I have never been in a gun fight, so I guess that makes me unexpirianced... but hears my opionion

At close range you dont need a super accurate gun, you also dont need a super powerful gun. I think being able to shoot fast accurately and confterable is the most important thing. be farmillair with all your guns and the one you think you should carry is the best choice.

I carry a S&W 2214, it is a small 22lr. I can shoot 3 aimed shoots off of it very fast.

stopping power vs. shot placement, still trying to figure out which one i agree with more.
When I went about choosing my first handgun (same as my first CC gun) I went with a .40 s&w . Now this is just my opinion but, I went about it with this thinking. A 9mm was a little too small of a round for me personally as far as stopping power but a .45 is to much bang for a follow up shot. So I settled on what I think is the happy medium. A .40 s&w. Good stopping power and ,with training, good shot placement.
just my two cents.

stopping power vs. shot placement, still trying to figure out which one i agree with more

I think good shot placement is stopping power. If you shoot the PPK the best, I don't see why you wouldn't carry it. The other ones you mentioned are good guns as well. And with the quality ammunition (specifically better bullets) these days, the .380 ACP is a legitimate self-defense round.

PlayboyPenguin, methinks you fret too much about the size of your guns. By simply carrying a gun, you are ten steps ahead of everyone else out there. I carry the gun that is easiest to conceal or the guns that I am most comfortable/proficient with. If you are worried about capacity, put an extra mag in your pocket. If you are worried about caliber, don't. .380 and above will all do sufficient damage if loaded with quality defense rounds.

IMHO, I would rather carry the gun that I know I can quickly and accurately put rounds on target with. If I need to shoot, my reaction/aiming time will be far more important than how big the holes are in the bad guy. I carry a .32, 9 mm, and a .38 depending on my mood. I am confident that I could stop most threats with all three. The .32 might require a few extra shots, but I can conceal it in swim trunks.

I see what you are going for.

I could go all the way to the far side and say, carry a Browning Buckmark.

Extreme long distance, but little stopping power.

You will need to decide for yourself what is the most important.

I prefer the Kahr P45. Good for medium range, and awesome for if you are being mugged at arms length.

I carry the P45 on my body, and the Ruger MarkIII in the trunk of my car.

PP,
I wonder how many of us under the (EXTREME) pressure of imminent danger/death and the associated ADRENALIN RUSH.... how many of us could actually place our shots specifically and accurately! Not just in the mall waiting for the good target, but right now, right here IMMEDIATELY and LIFE DEFENDING ON IT!

Those that could... would never need to carry more than a .380 the rest of their lives seems to me. However, how many can?

Our honorable police agencies (no slander or pun intended) have what? an accuracy rate of 20-30% hit rate under the same scenarios? (I read that recently) In fact their qualification scores at the range are not extremely high! So I'm wondering why don't they carry .380's?

If OUR Police Agencies fire 10 rounds at a "threat" and only hit with 2-4 (20-40% average), they still want the threat to be stopped right? AND and they shoot "larger" calibers. I don't believe 10 rounds "randomly" thrown at the BG with a 2-4 hit rate of .380 would do that unless luckily hitting the head (doubtful), throat, heart or other vitals... remember, we're talking her under extreme stress!!!)

So, with all that all being said.... IF you are only going to use the Police average of 20-40% hit ratio........ I want something larger than .380 if I can.

I personally believe most of us can shoot better than the 20-40% ratio (because we practice more then most law enforcement does), so possibly the scenario would be different, I HOPE so, but..................

Just my opinion

SR

Even our military being restrained by NATO carry 9mm (our specialty teams heavier calibers?!?)

380 is the minimum power level for me in a edc but, how do the PPK and Kahr do in point and shoot drills at close-medium-long ranges? What ever gun I did/felt the best with would be the one I carry. Most situations you will be focused on the perp/threat not aiming your gun. Hand eye cordination and being able to hit a target without aiming is a very big factor in defending ones self at close and medium distances.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top