JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I carry a dependable Walther PPK (Interarms, not S&W) nearly every day. I'd carry something bigger IWB, but for various reasons I am limited to pocket carry only.

Everyone agrees that the .380 has a marginal stopping power even with modern hollowpoints. So I'll shoot twice! Or thrice! For me, with a sub-compact gun, accurate controlled followup shots count more than a muzzle-jumping big bore that my hand is afraid to fire.

Still, if I could bear to wear a jacket, I'd carry BOTH my PPK AND a larger IWB pistol.........................elsullo ;)

I know how you feel about the gun that you love to shoot more than any other. I've been in the hunt for a larger caliber that feels as natural as my 9mm P226. It's like an extension of my hand.

I'm certainly not against owning a gun that shoots the caliber, but, personally, I don't consider the .380 to be adequate, even in +p. I just don't think it has enough potential for penetration in less than ideal circumstances.

An opinion worth all that you paid for it.;)

I wonder if anticipated recoil has anything to do with accuracy, even if we think it doesn't? I know the most accurate (for me) pistol I ever shot was a Ruger Mark I .22lr. I just bought another just like it on gunbroker and can't wait to get it.

I think maybe someone said he didn't feel that a 9mm was enough? If so, and I had a 9 I could drive nails with, I'd sure carry it.

I carry a PF-9 and am still trying to figure out if I can carry my new (to me) G23 for more power and capacity.

What a dilemma. :)

$.02

Shot placement is key. A .22 in the face is better than a .45 in the arm.

Use what you shoot best. Or, train with your other pistol until you are best with it.

Being a carrier of a 1911 I'm not sure I'm much help here but I value both. Obviously I can't always carry a fullsize gun. When I can't I carry either the PT145 or Ruger LCP. I shoot the PT145 alright but not great. Unfortunately there are times when I am forced to only carry the LCP and very unfortunately to me I am not good with it and its a 380. It is better then nothing but not what I perfer.

This is the age old question that is debated ad nauseum on the hunting boards: Caliber vs. shot placement.

I, too, shoot my PPK/S very well. I had it worked on by Cylinder & Slide, and, it is even better. I have an assortment of hardware from which to choose, but, those that I really like are the ones I carry. If I trust the hardware, and, trust the hardware in combination with me, I'll carry it, regardless of caliber.

There are schools that definitely teach the .22 is ok - they teach to just keep pulling that trigger.

Bob

I hear Red Ryder bb guns are notorious for shots like that!

trouble is, that only works well when the cinema cameras are rolling. Too often, in a defensive confrontation situation, those cameras are never there when you need them.

There's always something to be said for carrying the gun that you shoot the best, regardless of make or caliber. I fully understand what you report about your PPK. I, too, shoot mine far better than any other gun I own -- probably because I've shot the model for so long now that it's just become second-nature, a natural extension of my hand. The bottom line for me: accuracy over caliber any day. You'll win the battle if you can hit what you are aiming at.

Be careful with the Red Ryder BB guns, by the way. I hear you can shoot your eye out with those things.

My dad took his concealed carry class and the instructor was a local police officer. She said the reason law enforcement agencies have switched from 9mm to .40 is because of the stopping power the .40 has. She said there were several times an individual would be hyped up on drugs and they would take 8 or 9 shots of 9mm and the individual would still be coming at the police officers. Drugs are a crazy thing and you never know when you might have to deal with an individual like that. Just sayin:)

Lucky you, my experience is that my best shooting guns are usually larger heavier and therefore not the best Concealed Carry choices. The smaller guns are accurate enough for defensive purposes but not as much fun at the range. In your case you shoot best with a small concealable handgun and have the best of both worlds.

All someone needs to do is create a pistol with a long sight radius, very thin profile, very light weight, good ergonomics and holds about 25 rounds of .45 ACP. :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top