JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Since this is your first firearm, buy yourself a .22 and practice like heck with it. In the meantime, like others have said, rent or borrow some different 9mm pistols. I think in a short time you'll find yourself much less concerned about recoil. All 9's have fairly light recoil and it should not really be the most important factor in selecting one.

I agree. First gun? I would recommend either a .22 or .38 revolver or maybe a .357 because you can also fire .38 ammo. Autos are fine and I hvave several in everything from .22 to .45 but you REALLY need to know the controls. My everyday carry is a Taurus Tracker stainless .357 that I keep loaded with +P contolled expansion .38 ammo. bottom line, simple effective, easy to handle and very accurate.

i've owned and shot several 9's. I think the loudest i've ever shot is a Hi-Point (not mine) 9mm. Perhaps the smoothest 9 i've ever shot with the lowest recoil is a Smith & Wesson M&P9. I own a Springfield XDM9 and love it as the recoil isn't bad. The Taurus PT92 is a great gun as well but is just a bit heavier than polymer 9mms. I've also owned/fired XD9, PF9, PM9, Beretta 92, S&W Sigma 9 (garbage), Taurus PT Millenium Pro 9mm (trigger is very late but recoil is very mild), and both a Glock 17 and 19. My top 3 are the M&P9, Beretta 92FS, and XDM9.

I had just recently purchased my first handgun. Before I made my decision, I've asked for a lot of opinions and made a list of guns I'd like to try. But in the end, it was at the range and shooting all those pistols when I realized which was right for me. In the end, I chose the CZ75, with the SIG P226/229 as the close second.

My suggestion would be to make a list based on the forum's suggestions (there will be plenty), do some research on your own online, and then go out to the range and shoot a couple hundred rounds thru them. Bring a buddy and make an afternoon out of it. It'd be good times!

G22 with 40-9 conversion barrel and stock .40 recoil spring will tame down even +P 9mm ammo. Beretta/Stoeger Cougar because of it's rotating barrel design some say it helps reduce recoil. You are welcome to try them out too.
Good luck and stay safe,
Mike

The g22 is the same frame as a g17,so might as well buy the 17. I just got a 34,which is the long slide version.Not much of a carry gun though.
The Beretta's have some big grips and the CZs seem to be a tad smaller grip.Never shot a 9mm 1911 but I don't think a 45ACP is that bad so the 9 must be pretty nice. The H&K USP is a big 9mm

As stated the 9mm doesn't kick too bad (which is all relative to what YOU think 'bad' is),but the full sized 9mm pistols I have shot are mostly very tame.And I'm not big on recoil in my handguns.

The g22 is the same frame as a g17,so might as well buy the 17. I just got a 34,which is the long slide version.Not much of a carry gun though.

When they designed the .40 caliber they added a stronger frame pin. You should never convert the 9MMs to 40 without changing the frame pin. The newer 9MMs apparently have the better frame pin but I do not know what was the cutoff point. Beware

H&K for low recoil... USP full size 9mm- pretty much nothing. But while H&K makes a fantastic gun, they're primarily a .45 manufacturer... the design was built around the .45, and that's what they shoot best. Plus they're expensive.

Anything with a long slide and low bore-axis in a 9mm will shoot very smoothly... M&P and Glock 17 are both fantastic shooters.

In this caliber, low-recoil should not be a concern... your search criteria should focus on reliability, for a first/only firearm.

When they designed the .40 caliber they added a stronger frame pin. You should never convert the 9MMs to 40 without changing the frame pin. The newer 9MMs apparently have the better frame pin but I do not know what was the cutoff point. Beware

Why convert when you can just get a new gun?

Good info,if the 17 frame pin won't take the abuse of the 40

Not to dodge the issue of actually naming a specific favorite gun, my experience with a variety of 9's is that most (given a basically similar size and weight) fall within a range of manageability, with barely noticable differences from one to the other. Wider variance usually happens with other kinds of pistols, usually revolvers, where barrel length can range from 1" snubs to foot-long Dirty Harry hand cannons, all in the same caliber. Big noticable differences there.

Among most semi-auto 9's, the grip-fit and feel might make more of a difference to the shooter than actual recoil. So the advice you get here to try a lot of different ones is well founded.

The shooter's grip makes a difference, too. My buddy's Ruger 9mm won't cycle properly with lighter rounds unless your elbows are almost locked straight/rigid. Concentrating on anything other than aim and speed is a detractor in my mind, so I wouldn't own that one and expect it to function 100% for a soft-handed shooter.

Try anything you can get your hands on and compare. Chances are good that something other than recoil alone will be the tie-breaker.

A little late to the conversation, but..

The Beretta PX4 Storm has a rotary barrel system that supposedly cuts back on recoil.

The OP is asking about guns with less recoil, not what your favorite is.

But as you can tell, everyone has a preference and it's a personal thing. I would go down to a range that rents pistols and try a few out. See what fits your hand and is comfortable.

Never shot a all steel 1911 but I'd guess that. The softest shooting for me has been a sig p210, followed by the xdm, m&p, glock. I have owned a couple p7m8's and recoiled as much as any compact.

I'd make a list of the heaviest then head down to see what fits you best. I love the p210 though.

Not really answering your question, but recoil would be the very last factor I would consider when choosing a 9mm. That is to say, I would not consider it at all.

I thought my 4" sp101 .357 magnum kicked pretty good when I first bought it, especially with the 158gr bullets. Once I got used to it though, it is nothing but a squishy. A shooting buddy of mine is still terrified of it though, it's kind of entertaining watching him put five rounds into the dirt in front of him when the target is 30ft out! :D

Anyways anything you buy and practice with you will get used to, and then you will be going "Recoil? What recoil?"

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top