JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Low recoil without consideration of ease of carry?... (well it's my size but most people arent 6'5") As everyone else has given utterly realistic answers. I'll be the wierdo.

Calico Liberty III 9mm pistol. Barrel is lower, (like the Rhino or Mateba) and the recoil is further reduced by the 50 or 100 round Helical magazine on top.

I just have a sweet spot for them because they're Locally made now.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Calico_Series_of_Rifles_and_Pistols

Following along the Beretta lines, the Cougar 8000 was the follow-up from their 92, and the precursor to the PX4 Storm.

Alloy frame, around 30 oz in weight (so heavier than polymer guns), rotary barrel (like the Storm).

The grip is a bit wider ( I don't know how big your hands are), which may distribute the recoil over a larger area of the shooter's hand, and therefor contribute to less perceived recoil.

The Cougar has eaten everything I've fed it, it's tight, has respectable fit and finish, and is ridiculously easy to break down and clean.

Stoeger now produces this firearm using the original Beretta machinery and they are widely available for about $400.

I recommend it.

I will 2nd all recommendations for steel/alloy frame 9's, if conceal carry needs aren't primary. My wife is 100lbs soaking wet (shuddup, pervs) and a completely inexperienced shooter, and I had her shoot a couple clips out of my Glock 19 a couple of days ago.

She limp-wristed the first shot (not knowing what to expect), which resulted in a stove-pipe, but after that, she held a firmer grip (like I TOLD you, honey) and was makin' a pepsi can dance about every other shot at 10 yards.

Considering the only other hand-gun she's shot was 12 rounds through a Ruger single 6 .22 the week prior, she did very well. She did comment that the Glock grips were too wide for a comfortable hold, though.

I've had 8 different BHPs over the years, never paid much over $100 for any of them. I just recenty got one from here, paid $550, a little high for a refinished gun with well worn riffleing, but I'm happy! Had a Colt Combat Comander, an Astra 600,(accurate)a 400, a 1930 Broomhandle Mauser, and a p-38. I carry a Systema Colt in 11.25 mm with combat sights. As backup I carry a Smith m-22 in .45, or an smc .22lr. I'm not much on DA autos, carry cocked and locked. Don't have any of the old 9mms, but had to go back to BHP, hi-cap, accurate, low tek, low recoil, and will shoot any size 9mm ammo available! ( my daughter has Beretta m 951 that won't take 147gr in the mag!) Also, Mec-Gar makes mags for most of the big manufacturers. i highly reccomend them.

I think recoil is going to depend mainly on the size of the gun. Full-size handguns with 5" barrel would be the least while some 2.5" conseal carry piece will fly out of your hands. What exactly is your concern and purpose? Target shooting? Home defense? Conceal carry? Why would you even worry about recoil? Have you ever shot a 9mm? There is no "kick." go to an indoor range and rent some 9mm guns and see which one you like. .380 kicks more than 9mm and it's a smaller round. Also, I've shot a .38 special and in comparison to 9mm, .38 has no recoil out of a 5" revolver. This whole discussion is just a matter of opinion and not some scientific research publishings. Someone's low recoil choice might break your wrist. Just saying YMMV!

I will go with the HK P30 in 9mm. The HK recoil reduction system really does work. If you have shot one, you will understand. Same goes for the 45 with the HK45 and 45c.

I have read all posts up to this one. Owning a Beretta 92 I think I can give you an excellent recommendation for a low recoil hand gun. I also have a Beretta PX4 Storm which has much less recoil than the 92. It is an excellent fire arm, uses polymer base and grip which makes it lighter and great for my wife 5'5" 115 lbs. It has a barrel that partially rotates which deadens some of the recoil. You can't go wrong with this choice. It's also not pricy. Beretta also makes this model in compact and subcompact if you carry. I am considering buying one of these in near future.

Beretta 92! But it's big! Not so easy to conceal should you want to someday. If you can't rent or borrow pistols to shoot at least handle a wide variety to see how their ergonomics fit your particular hands.
Good luck with your pistol!

1) What fits your hand the best.
2) What feels the most comfortable to you.
3) Then start testing recoil with guns that meet your first two criteria.

For me, a Glock's ergonomics don't work. The Sig-229 and the HK-USP and the Beretta 92-FS do.
Of those three, the HK has the least perceived kick, followed by the Beretta 92-FS, then the Sig-229.

So, for me, my answer is HK-USP.

I know that "The Place to Shoot" in Portland rents guns. Go try a bunch and find a few that fit your hand first.
Then worry about recoil.

Good luck.

Last Edited:
JedB offers the more sensible approach. All of the recommendations above include very fine handguns. Depending on the size of your wallet, price might be an additional consideration.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top