JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Why ? It needs to be closer to the source of the pressure because it makes less pressure than , for less time than smokeless rifle powders .

I was referring to the need for a proper size gas port. Shorter gas systems are more finicky, by "worse", I meant the more likelihood the existing post needs to/should be altered.

My current barrel is 1:8 Twist, Stainless Steel 16", with a Pistol Length gas port set a .750, on a low profile gas block. It is a really nice barrel. I got it as I figured I might try my hand at deer with it super sonic. That and the fun factor of reloading for it and seeing if I could make my cast boolits run in it (I did and they do by the way). Now that I have a trust set up and am getting a can, I figured I'd do an SBR at the same time (as getting my wife to do the trust paperwork and the NFA paperwork all at once has less impact on my quality of life).

Rodney

Ive got 4 qty .300 BO barrels. Ive had as many as 7. Longest is 16" and shortest is 6.5". If I could buy a 4 " barrel I would but alas no one makes one. I see no real point in going longer than 9 inches. Thats about where the 300 BO is optimum. You gain absolutely nothing going with a "quality" (read "expensive") barrel over a $65 on sale barrel. My favorite 300 BO barrel is a 1:8 6.5" Anderson I paid $45 for. It runs on EVERYTHING super and sub and maintains relatively tight groups. The worst 300 BO barrel Ive ever owned was from a factory Daniel Defense 10" barrelled upper that wouldnt run on anything but supersonics reliably. Short heavy contour barrels with pistol length gas systems are what make the 300 BO shine.

I'll throw in another vote for a new 1:7 8.5" barrel. Buy a new barrel, rather than chop down your existing one.

One word of caution: Keep an eye on the shoulder profile. Ballistic Advantage and Faxon both increase diameter at the shoulder, which is good for mounting muzzle devices. X-Products and Palmetto State both have very narrow shoulders, which means you might have to use a SCAR 17 Muzzle Shoulder Ring to create a large enough shoulder to shim and index off of.

Hi,

I went with a chrome lined 9 inch 1:7.

Now a new problem. I have a nice hand guard for it that uses standard m4 setup for hand guards with the delta ring. Since I have a low profile pistol length gas block system; how do I mound the dumb thing without a stupid A2 sight? I know I'll need to get an end cap, but how do I hold the end cap in place on the barrel without an A2 sight/gas block? I already have the delta ring/barrel nut end of it. I don't want to spend any more $$ on a new hand guard system.

Thanks,

Rodney

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews