JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Armed with?

• Total voters
Reactions
That is the question :)

My wife does not like to shoot and will not practice. When I have gotten her out to the range she um... well... let's just say... I really appreciated she was willing to go with me :D

I had to go out of town this week and it left me wondering what if anything I should leave her home with.

She is also what I would consider prone to psychological issues. I'm not really sure what would be worse, being the victim of a crime in the home without any means to defend herself or actually having to clean up the mess that a shotgun makes. Either one would take a lot out of her.

That would take a lot out of anybody.

I would suggest you approach for practice from a different position if she is willing and maybe you have already tried. I am sure there is a sport or hobby that she is good at...How did she get that way, by practicing. You will not be good at or in this case more comfortable until you keep at it.

Try and reaffirm her that this is very important to you.

Best of luck, I hope this was encouraging to you

It would vary.. If you can leave a gun.. I guess, leave the revolver. Easy to operate.. Shouldn't jam. Probably has a simple, if any safety.

But if she's not willing to use it, it might be useless anyways. But since it's just at home, then there's no harm in leaving it. Carrying would be another game though.

I know that in the event of a home invasion for example, when the ladies are very afraid they will look for any way to save themselves, a knife, a gun whatever is at hand.

A all steel revolver like a S&W Ladysmith or model 65/66 in a known location will give her an alternative, if very afraid.

I like to train the gals that are not shooters with my 22 S&W model 34 revolver. No recoil and they can just bang away until they know the drill and feel comfortable shooting. At some point I will introduce a 38 special with light loads so they can get comfortable with a larger caliber.

Forget the pistols. If they are not shooters they will not be able to operate the slide in panic mode.

If your wife is having issues and is not healthy, suffering from depression, bi-polar, etc then I would never recommend Having a firearm accessible to her. Pepper spray will work in some situations and is better than nothing.
The Kimber LifeAct system is very powerful and will give her about 1 hour to escape from an attacker. Might look into that alternative.

I say she should have a shotgun (12 ga.) Because even if she doesn't like to shoot someone or shoot period, when she loads a round, the sound of pumping or whatever you wanna call it...... that should scare the bad guy right there lol but I think that when your in fear for your life that your gonna do things you would not normally do. She can always shoot by holding the firearm to her side by the hip.

I would like to know why she doesn't like guns...... bad experience or because of media?

Well normally I'd say 12 gauge but you stated that she is prone to psychological issues... If your sugesting that she isn't stable I recomend lots of pepper spray and a cell phone. I'm sorry I'm a believer that if your sanity is in question you should not be around firearms trained or untrained. FWIW my sister has some pretty serious mental issues. Needless to say when she comes to visit which isn't very often the only guns not locked up are the ones I'm carrying on my person. But my sister has more then a few screws loose and rattling around up there.

While you would be more comfortable if she had a means of defence, it is up to the individual to determine if they can/will use deadly force. If she would only use the gun as a threat and not shoot, it may be more of a danger to her. Let her decide and them add a security system, better door locks and what ever else you can to improve her safety.

A 12 gauge shotgun is a mans weapon and yes a great choice for home protection.

But to recommend that for home protection for a non-shooter female makes me laugh. I have to assume you are young and full of testosterone.

Women hate shotguns and if you have taken many of them to the range or woods you will find that out quickly. A 12 gauge kicks like my Marlin 450 and will bruise a Lady's shoulder quickly.

Yes, I have known femal hunters that use 20 and 12 gauge shotguns and shoot well, but those women are rare and a joy to be around.

In a home defensive situation trying to maneuver a shotgun around corners takes a lot of training and experience to do it with precision. Watching an untrained woman try to do it would give me the chills. Easy for the bad guy to defeat in closed quarters.

The lady would be better off with a small North American 22 mini-revolver that she could handle, hold close in and shoot accurately.

Do a search for discussion on the "non-gun" forum section. This thing is fantastic! If a woman is just not into guns, she's not into guns and you can't change her. But this Mace Pepper Gun is a whole new equation that a woman need not be afraid of---and it REALLY WORKS WELL!......................elsullo :s0155:

Gun's aren't the right choice for everyone for home defense. Pepper spray is a good option, and make sure that she keeps her cell phone near her. If she is hesitant to shoot at a range, what makes you think she would shoot at home?

This sounds like the perfect set-up to get shot with your own gun.

With any psychological issues, I'd have to say, unfortunately, its a cell phone and hope for the best. I have the same issue in my family with a close family member whom I'd like to see armed. But it's the same thing. If for the reason of not being able to completely trust them to function with the firearm OR not being sure they might always 100% understand the ramifications that come with using a firearm, it's just hard to leave one around.

That being said, and I'll be honest that I did vote a cell phone and hope, if you are dead set on leaving a firearm, it would be a pump shotgun, probably in 20 gauge and loaded with light bird shot.

Cell phone.

Anything that she is not comfortable with using or not willing to use in an instant can be turned against her.

My wife too does not like the firearms issue, though she gladly shot the .22 and was a good shot but when it came to the xd40 it was a whole different story. I would not leave that for her due to her inexperience with it.

Unless you live in a really bad neighborhood and home invasion has a very high possibility, I would not give her anything. People who don't like shooting or guns are not going to be effective with one. They are only a liability.

A 12 gauge shotgun is a mans weapon and yes a great choice for home protection.

But to recommend that for home protection for a non-shooter female makes me laugh. I have to assume you are young and full of testosterone.

Women hate shotguns and if you have taken many of them to the range or woods you will find that out quickly. A 12 gauge kicks like my Marlin 450 and will bruise a Lady's shoulder quickly.

Yes, I have known femal hunters that use 20 and 12 gauge shotguns and shoot well, but those women are rare and a joy to be around.

In a home defensive situation trying to maneuver a shotgun around corners takes a lot of training and experience to do it with precision. Watching an untrained woman try to do it would give me the chills. Easy for the bad guy to defeat in closed quarters.

The lady would be better off with a small North American 22 mini-revolver that she could handle, hold close in and shoot accurately.

I agreed 100% with you up until the last sentence.

The NA mini-22's are absolutelyworthless for any sort of defensive purpose. They are single-action, requiring that the hammer be thumb-cocked for each shot; they lack useable sights; they are too small to grip properly; the already pathetic ballistics of the 22LR are made worse by the 1 1/2" barrel; they only hold 5 rounds; and they require the cylinder to be removed in order to reload.

In short, they combine the worst aspects of every single category of concealable firearms into one tiny, useless package. You cant hit anyone with them, if you do get lucky you will hit them only once, and you will be hitting them with a bullet that is totally inadequate for the task.

If she is at all capable of handling any sort of firearm, get her a hammerless or shrouded steel-framed .38 Special. They are easy to load, easy to shoot, dead-nuts reliable, and fire an effective self-defense caliber.

If such a weapon is beyond her ability to handle then other, non-lethal methods should be considered instead.

Just because you have a firearm doesn't mean you. are gonna live or win but you have better odds as long as you know how to use the tool and your brain. For people who are not into guns....... when seconds matter it takes the police minutes...... yes the cops will be there for you but it could be too little too late. At that time all the law may be able to do is to take pics of your dead body. If you drive a car, in my opinion you shouldn't be affraid or dislike firearms because that thing you drive is a weapon...... the knife you use to make food is a weapon but you don't freak out everytime you drive or cook..... do you?
I don't wanna sound like i want to force someone to carry a gun...... to each their own.... i just don't care to be unarmed and i don't wanna be with someone who has their mind shut towards guns.....atleast learn to use and understand how it works because one day i might need you to save my life, it's a crazy world we live in.....it's not what it used to be anymore..... you can be shot or whatever by some crazy dude that just got dumped by his girlfriend.....and all you wanted was a hot dog at 7-11. Knoledge is power....... learn about as many things as you can.....it could just save your life or mine. When you shut your mind off towards something you loose in my opinion.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top