JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Armed with?

• Total voters
My wife has a mixed schedule and is often at home without me (but with our 2 dogs) some of the time I'm at work. She is a very good shot, and even though she doesn't choose to carry, she likes to shoot recreationally and is a very good shot.
I'm currently in the process of refurbishing a .25 auto for her to keep at home and practice with, otherwise she's safe with the 12 gauge loaded with 00 buck. I'd say if she knows how to use it and think her life is in danger she is more than ready and able to take care of herself in my absence.
If I am home, she takes my Glock and I take the AR or 12 gauge, intruders take lots of lead.

In this case, I think people are missing the comment about being prone to psychological issues.

Once that is in play, the gun choices become out of play. Legally speaking, it could be a minefield. And from a safety standpoint, it could be dangerous as well. She has a right to defend herself, but non-lethal options really seem like them best idea...

I've had this delima with my own spouse...when I bought her a gun and a gun purse- she left it at home or in her car. So I bought her some Mace and a TASER...she carries that stuff EVERYWHERE.

We can hash out what she should have, what calliber, or how much of it...but if she isn't going to use it or carry it around or know where and how to use it when she needs it then what is the use? That is why I have to dissagree with soberups...any gun is better than no gun. Even if it is a .22- it is better than nothing.

Thank you all for your input. It does help.

A few points I should clarify:

First; she is not afraid of guns, just doesn't like to be at the range and frankly can't seem to hit the broad side of a barn in less than 45 sec per shot with a 3lb trigger on a .22. All in all she's a firearm weenie. Doesn't like the smell, the noise, the recoil and would much rather do just about anything else than go with me to the range.

I don't think she would have any issues using a gun in self defense but if she isn't willing to practice then will she be able to when/if it counts?

I believe that the tool is a very minor part of the survival equation but I can't force her to practice or make her want to do it. The tool is just about the only influence I have and I just have to hope that survival instincts kick in to make the rest happen.

Keep in mind we are talking about a home defense weapon here and not concealed carry.

The point I was trying to make with psychological issues is that she is very empathetic and does not recover well from tramatic experiences. There is some family history of more severe psychological issues but nothing that would cause her to be a danger to herself or others. Her mother lives in a very fearful state of mind and her sister suffers from grand mal seizures that are probably psychologically induced.

Being a rape survivor or witnesseing one of the children being hurt/killed could very well be more than she can mentally recover from.

So the scenario I'm concerned about is I'm not around and someone has kicked in the door. Knowing she hasn't practiced with a firearm is she better off armed or not?

If she's better off with a gun then do I go with small .22 auto for more rounds and reduced recoil, the 5 shot idiot proof revolver or equip her with something heavy duty like a shotgun? If shotgun is the right choice do you go 20 gauge to keep the recoil down or go balls to the wall and 12 gauge knowing when/if she ever goes to use it adrenaline will be running rampant. I just don't want to push her over the edge with a shotgun sized hole in a bad guy. That might not be recoverable either.

In this case, I think people are missing the comment about being prone to psychological issues.

Once that is in play, the gun choices become out of play. Legally speaking, it could be a minefield. And from a safety standpoint, it could be dangerous as well. She has a right to defend herself, but non-lethal options really seem like them best idea...

I did over look that at first.

Just psychological issues doesn't mean she's dangerous.. but Im assuming that it's a touchy issue in this case if it's brought up (The only danger in handing a gun to someone with OCD is they scrub the blueing off..)

I'd just go with mace, as another said. If it's someone who's not safe around a gun, the odds are more likely they misuse the gun than they need to use it in my opinion.

There are no "instincts" for fire arms. If she isn't willing to join you at the range to practice then you really need to consider some of the other options listed here (mace, taser, etc.)

If you are absolutely set on having a gun around her, I would recommend a shotgun with an 18.5" barrel. But just remember, if she presents the gun to a bad guy and then hesitates or freezes up with fear, then you have just equipped a bad guy with a shotgun.

That is why I have to dissagree with soberups...any gun is better than no gun. Even if it is a .22- it is better than nothing.

True, but I can think of no reason whatsoever for that gun to be one of the NAA .22 mini-revolvers. They are worthless.

If she can't handle a gun, dont give her one. If she can handle a gun...give her one that can be effective for its intended purpose. You cant go wrong with a decent .38 revolver for self defense.

If for a some reason a .22 was my only option, I would want it to be one of the little Beretta 21A semi-autos with the tip-up barrel. They are reliable and well made, and they give you 8+1 of CCI Stingers as fast as you can pull the trigger. Still woefully inadequate, but a far better choice than a single-action 4-shot mini revolver.

One thing to remember about pepper spray--it can work both ways. In close quarters or if the wind is blowing, it can get into the eyes of the person who is using it as well as those of the intended target. And it is not always effective at stopping a determined attacker.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top