JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've got experience with a lot of boats and I'd be comfy crabbing in my canoe on a calm day somewhere like Newport Bay. But my usually outdoorsy and versatile GF believes we'd capsize my 14' Mirrocraft canoe pulling crab rings. Hell, she might even be right - and I can certainly imagine handier floor plans for crab rings, buckets, etc. But I'm not towing my fresh water ski boat to/from the coast, and it's already winterized until spring.

So my mind caught fire the other day when I saw a tiny aluminum boat riding snugly in the bed of a 4WD Dakota just like mine. I was thinking that could be just about right with a little 4-5hp motor I could "winterize" year 'round by simply draining it after each use. Seems light enough that the two of us could easily yank it out of the truck, screw the motor on and complete a Dungeness mission with little/no fuss.

Never had a motorboat that light or compact, so I'm looking for ideas/pointers/cautions that'll help me refine my search quickly. Primitive and funky are fine as long as it's reliable. What are you guys and gals using for super compact rigs?

Last Edited:
I am confused.

A boat smaller than the 14' Mirrorcraft is the solution to fears about capsizing?

I spent summer vacations with my parents and 2 brothers in a 16' rented wooden boat at Newport, fishing well out beyond the bar (albeit on gentle swells) and crabbing in the bay.

Granted - given my experience in the USCG (3+ years of SAR at Newport), I wouldn't advise people to go out like that on the ocean in such a small boat - two adults and 3 kids.

But I don't see the problem with a nice 14' fishing boat crabbing in a bay or on a river if you stay away from the mouth of the river on calm waters. If you are reasonably careful it shouldn't capsize.

If you are concerned that the v-hull of your fishing boat is too tippy, try renting a more flat bottomed dory and see how that works for you?

Two people? A couple of buckets and some lightweight Danielson's crab pots, or crab rings?
Stay in the bay and have at it! Wear your PFDs, watch the big boy's wakes and go slay some dungies.

I may even have a couple of extra rings you can have.

Sorry guys, I was unclear. So I went back and edited my OP.

My 14" Mirrocraft is a canoe. I've seen crabbing from a canoe, and I'd do it myself, but my kayaking GF isn't as comfy in a canoe as I am. Especially hauling rings.

So a 12' dingy of some sort with a motor would probably be more to her liking, and a damn sight more comfortable with rings, buckets, ropes and gear on the floor between us.

I was talking about an aluminum boat ala SmokerCraft etc. I've seen plenty of people do it.
Just learn to pick your days, stay in the bay(s), watch the tides and the wakes and wear your PFDs.

Oh, okay.

Yes - most canoes are pretty tippy - unless you equip them with outriggers.

One option would be a flatboat dingy - assuming you stay away from the ocean and rough water. You could maybe find these on craigslist as they are common for duck hunting. Some would fit in a small pickup bed.

Another option would be a folding boat. There are number of different types and brands, but one has been around for quite a while and can take an outboard.

http://www.porta-bote.com/

SHARRRRRRRK!!!! :eek:
attachment.php?attachmentid=27895&d=1425367123.jpg

Here is what I was on in Newport:

We didn't fear puny little sharks. Hell - a 500+ freighter ran over the original '44 MLB and didn't sink it.

I have a fear of large water. I hate sharks. I hate rip tides. I hate tide.
But for some strange reason, I love and have a tremendous draw towards deadliest catch. The power of the ocean is from God. Of course we ditched cable two year ago, so I only see minutes of it when in a hotel.

I have a fear of large water. I hate sharks. I hate rip tides. I hate tide.
But for some strange reason, I love and have a tremendous draw towards deadliest catch. The power of the ocean is from God. Of course we ditched cable two year ago, so I only see minutes of it when in a hotel.
I seem to recall someone told me mormons often feel that way about water. You are LDS are you not?

Yep. I am.
But I saw someone get pulled from battle ground lake after being under for 15 minutes. Blue. My dad pulled him out. He lived for a month in a coma.
Not sure why my folks would fear water. Seems they all wake board, and raft.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top