JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Look up K-Boats.

I've got their heavy duty 16 footer with a 9.9 HP 2 stroke that's smoking fast, fits in the back of a 2 door Jeep Wrangler (rolled of course) and handles choppy waters just fine. Very stable. You can stand and fish it in. Great crabbing boat.

I'll carry it on the roof if I'm not going far, wouldn't feel comfortable with it up there at highway speeds. The high speed pump fills all 5 chambers in about 15 minutes. Doesn't take long at all.
hsnvp1.jpg

Look up K-Boats.

I've got their heavy duty 16 footer with a 9.9 HP 2 stroke that's smoking fast, fits in the back of a 2 door Jeep Wrangler (rolled of course) and handles choppy waters just fine. Very stable. You can stand and fish it in. Great crabbing boat.

I'll carry it on the roof if I'm not going far, wouldn't feel comfortable with it up there at highway speeds. The high speed pump fills all 5 chambers in about 15 minutes. Doesn't take long at all.
View attachment 263281

That's slick! I had an Aire Lynx II whitewater kayak about that size, tough as nails. You're right, it didn't take long to inflate with a foot pump, and it was fine on the roof of the car between launch points along the Clackamas.

9.9hp? Driving fast ski boats all my life, I used to wonder who'd make/buy that particular size motor until I learned you can avoid the license requirement by piloting boats with less than 10hp. So now that I want one for fishing and crabbing, I wonder which brand makes the most powerful "9.9" (wink wink... nudge nudge). I'm guessing some might be hotter than others.

That's slick! I had an Aire Lynx II whitewater kayak about that size, tough as nails. You're right, it didn't take long to inflate with a foot pump, and it was fine on the roof of the car between launch points along the Clackamas.

9.9hp? Driving fast ski boats all my life, I used to wonder who'd make/buy that particular size motor until I learned you can avoid the license requirement by piloting boats with less than 10hp. So now that I want one for fishing and crabbing, I wonder which brand makes the most powerful "9.9" (wink wink... nudge nudge). I'm guessing some might be hotter than others.
Oh they'll knock that hp to 9.0 for licenses.

When I was a kid we had a 8 footer and would toss it on top of an Opel:eek: That boat was small as hell but spent many a days on the Columbia fishing and bird hunting. Had a 8 horse on it and had to have extended controls so you could sit in the bow to keep it down........

Tell you what it sure was fun when the ocean going ships would go by.......

Here I was thinking this thread was talking about real motor boating while inside of a pickup....

Then I find out you all are talking about boats.. What a letdown.

I never liked using my boat in the saltwater so in my younger years I just rented. Nearly every marina has rentals for what used to be reasonable cost. bring your pots or rent them too . most even have cookers so you can go find a sweet spot to hang out at and eat them there, or bring them home.
No cleaning flushing salt water and retarping the boat.
Here I was thinking this thread was talking about real motor boating while inside of a pickup....

Then I find out you all are talking about boats.. What a letdown.
Me too, here is what I envisioned; an RC Boat
f9.jpg

For years I carried an old 12' aluminum row boat sticking out the back of my '67 Ranchero. :D:cool::) Loved that car/truck BTW! It was a really handy rig! I was young and buff, able to lift the boat in or out of the bed. I bought a 5 horse Johnson, long shaft kicker for it. Trolled the Willamette for springers, lakes for Kokanee, just everywhere. Except the Columbia! I'm crazy not stupid!;) Good luck finding the craft you need!

For years I carried an old 12' aluminum row boat sticking out the back of my '67 Ranchero. :D:cool::) Loved that car/truck BTW! It was a really handy rig! I was young and buff, able to lift the boat in or out of the bed. I bought a 5 horse Johnson, long shaft kicker for it. Trolled the Willamette for springers, lakes for Kokanee, just everywhere. Except the Columbia! I'm crazy not stupid!;) Good luck finding the craft you need!

Yeah, I was young and buff too - last century. But I can still throw 50# kayaks on the roof of my Outback, so I can probably wrestle a 12' aluminum boat into my beater pickup. Especially one I saw last week with little wheels on the aft gunwales.

Gotta admit my spirit is a bit dampened with reports of a delayed crab season for some sort of toxic acid in their guts (which I do not eat). I need to learn more about that before I get too carried away. If it's declared safe (the crab meat), I'm still thinking about pulling rings from my canoe.

Maybe a quick local test run with the canoe at Hagg Lake before I drive my gas hog to the coast. I can picture anglers ashore laughing at that. So I'm tempted to take a crab up there in my bucket and make a big deal of holding it up after I pull a few rings. Then holler to my skeptical GF standing ashore. "Look sweetie! It's a keeper!"

Last Edited:
I never liked using my boat in the saltwater so in my younger years I just rented... Nearly every marina has rentals for what used to be reasonable cost. bring your pots or rent them too . most even have cookers so you can go find a sweet spot to hang out at and eat them there, or bring them home.
No cleaning flushing salt water and retarping the boat.

Yeah, I should just bite the bullet and do that myself. And save a bundle!

While it seems expensive to rent a boat these days, consider the combined cost of ownership, licensing, gas to trailer it behind a truck, regular maintenance, repairs, etc., etc. I shudder to think how many dollars per pound that crab really costs when I go out 3-4 times a season.

But it's a fun adventure and worth every penny either way.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads