JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Okay so I have this image; click to enlarge.. oct_1972_mcga.jpg

On the far left is the Small Pack prototype; image is dated 1972. Or at least around that time. It is the only image I could find of the actual Small Pack prototype for what would become the ALICE series; and one that has; to the best of my knowledge, never been produced, at least not to this form. There are of course the "Mini ALICE/Small ALICE" packs that are just miniaturized versions of the Medium Ruck, and from the reviews, their external pockets are entirely too small for anything other than small water bottles or socks.

This one though shows a distinctive single large external pocket and it also seems to show eyelets and cord on the lid.
This is my attempt at sketching out the pack in a form that I can at least see how it should be shaped and made.
20220919_145014.jpg

There is no way I'd be able to replicate the original prototype 100%; not when the particular hardware used in these photos (spring steel buckles like found on the radio pockets of the later ALICE rucksacks) are practically impossible to acquire without cannibalizing an ALICE ruck or 4 depending on the age...

So.... what I can do however.. once I get the specific setting tool and die set and size 24 govt black snaps, make one in 500D Camo Green like the 2000s ALICE rucks, with matching trim and webbing; using black steel/metal friction buckles (of which I have 14ish, gotta count them..), and use it as a patrol pack with probably a new matching color sleeping bag compression sack that mates to it and the frame lower half...

Or I can update it to 500D Woodland Camo, MOLLE on the sides, and side release buckles.. and then a Woodland Camo sleeping bag sack that again goes in that same space. I don't know. What do you guys think? Crazy idea? I mean probably, as it'd be close to the same volume as most conventional Small day packs but uses a heavy frame :s0140: on the other hand, none of the smaller packs have a decent way of carrying heavy sleeping bags without bouncing all over :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top