JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Release of 911 tape prior to massacre leaves questions, no answers
:huh::huh:

Today’s release of a 911 tape by authorities in Greenwood County, S.C. relating to a mass shooting Tuesday just adds to a mountain of questions without answers regarding a phenomenon that happened four times in recent days: multiple homicides.

<broken link removed>

In the city's people are crammed into apartment buildings, some as high or higher than thirty stories. Some stay others find there way out, maybe the suburbs or just a town house or condo on the edge of town, -}STRESS[- they can or cannot afford to live in. No matter it is what society indicates is the correct thing to do to be happy. As with the example just used, people looking towards the condo, the new truck, the new thing they can't quite get or just broke and can't fix. Leaves a void that can never be filled.
The one thing missing in most situations is how do I learn to be happy in life with myself and by myself and how do I enjoy my own company.
My belief is you won't find it on an I-pad or what ever phone they sell to keep you occupied. It is also not religion but for many that helps. It is inner peace. Find that and the rest of the world doesn't matter.
Silver Hand

The main issue I think is the way kids are brought up. The common denominator with all of these shootings that have made headlines is the fact that these guys were all suffering from physiological issues and were taking meds for depression, anxiety etc. Call it a parenting issue or whatever, but when I was a kid we didn't sit around and play COD or video games that glorified mowing as many people down as possible and amping up with psychoactive drugs. That, to me, is a huge problem. Hollywood doesn't want to discuss it, the current administration, with their pals in the entertainment industry don't want to talk about it and neither do the big drug companies.
Why do you think so many of our young guys are coming back from the ME with PTSD? I've seen brand new guys, all gung ho, get over, get in to some action, then have a nervous breakdown because they can't switch it off like a video game.

I completely agree. The root cause of many many problems right now, not just mass murders, can pretty obviously be found in bad parenting. You throw in the enormous amount of pressure and stress that social media inherently brings with it and you end up with kids not knowing how to cope with it so they turn to medication or they hold it in until they have a flat out nervous breakdown. How many of our parents woke up every morning and looked at there phone or computer to find updates of how much better off plenty of people have it? You can bet most of them woke up and were simply focused on doing the best they could in there situation that day. What im getting at is because of social media, the kids today get a case of "keeping up with the jones's" x1000 on a daily basis and that becomes overwhelming. Then when they cant succeed due to a lack of clear goals born of there own free thought and insight, they become stressed and confussed. They dont have a picture of what success means for them as individuals but rather, what some perceived success looks like and they push for those because its all they see. That is where a parent needs to be an influence and inspire them and unfortunately that may not be happening for some kids. HMM...i just had an interesting thought and i havent looked it up to fact check but, i wonder how many mass shootings there were in the 10 years pre myspace/facebook/twitter as opposed to the amount so far since those social media outlets were created? We as parents have the ability to allow our children to sit in front of a clean canvas, we dont have to give them all the same colors to paint with, nor the same brush. We have to give them the tools to succeed from the very first moment they want to, not limit them because we fear the result of failure.

The one thing in common with almost all of them is the drug prozac or a similar medication.
They were placed on those drugs and then withdrawn from them abruptly.
The additional triggers I still wonder about.

The main issue I think is the way kids are brought up. Call it a parenting issue or whatever, but when I was a kid we didn't sit around and play COD or video games that glorified mowing as many people down as possible
can't switch it off like a video game.

I have played and watched violent video games and movies my entire life. You will not see me or any of my family going out on some killing spree because I just killed a hundred people on some video game. Unless there is already some underlying problem, seeing people die on a video game does not conjure up a hankering to kill real people. I have seen and dissected real people, that does not make me want to cut up live people as well. Video games are not the problem any more than guns are.

Some of these shooters are old enough to have families of there own. Personally I think rewards and restrictions are out of balance within families these days. My generation of parenting were the first to screw things up. I am talking about parents of the mid 60s and 70s. I could not stand it when someone told me a teacher could no longer discipline a child that was out of order. I sat back and watched!
We are now seeing the long term results. Classrooms have become a place for parents to drop off there children wile they go to work and it has become the teachers job to rear the child and they better stay away from strict discipline or Johnny will get them in trouble.
Just the opposite of the way I was brought up.
If the teacher tore into you that was nothing compared to the circumstances you had to face when you got home. I am not condoning beating a child but a bit of fear can go a long way towards a child's reasoning ability. Rewards and love are a wonderful thing but Life will never be as easy for a young adult that has had no responsibility as a youth,
and life as an adult comes at them fast.
Silver Hand

I have played and watched violent video games and movies my entire life. You will not see me or any of my family going out on some killing spree because I just killed a hundred people on some video game. Unless there is already some underlying problem, seeing people die on a video game does not conjure up a hankering to kill real people. I have seen and dissected real people, that does not make me want to cut up live people as well. Video games are not the problem any more than guns are.

You're right, but combine that with being a depressed kid that's strung out on meds with zero parental guidance.....that's the difference and that's whats lacking with nearly everyone of these situations.

"In July 1968, ethologist John B. Calhoun built a "mouse utopia," a metal enclosure 9 feet square with unlimited food, water, and nesting material. He introduced four pairs of mice, and within a year they had multiplied to 620. But after that the society began to fall apart &#8212; males became aggressive, females began neglecting their young, and the weaker mice were crowded to the center of the pen, where resources were scarce. After 600 days the females stopped reproducing and the males withdrew from them entirely, and by January 1973 the whole colony was dead. Even when the population had returned to its former levels, the mice's behavior had remained permanently changed."
Mouse utopia ? the potential dangers of human overpopulation | Let3

All good remarks so far folks but most (the left) do not agree that society degrading is the answer to them. They have tunnel vision and accuse the right wings as gun loving zealots who thwart their efforts to curb gun violence at every turn. You see it on all the lame stream media outlets constantly so it must be true and they NEVER refuse to waste a good tragedy to get their wicked point across do they?
You see, it is not the individual that kills, it is the evil guns that do the deeds. If there were no guns then these crazies would not be able to go out in a blaze of glory!!!
Don't you gun loving guys and gals get it???
.Add sarcasm here...

The main issue I think is the way kids are brought up. The common denominator with all of these shootings that have made headlines is the fact that these guys were all suffering from physiological issues and were taking meds for depression, anxiety etc. Call it a parenting issue or whatever, but when I was a kid we didn't sit around and play COD or video games that glorified mowing as many people down as possible and amping up with psychoactive drugs. That, to me, is a huge problem. Hollywood doesn't want to discuss it, the current administration, with their pals in the entertainment industry don't want to talk about it and neither do the big drug companies.
Why do you think so many of our young guys are coming back from the ME with PTSD? I've seen brand new guys, all gung ho, get over, get in to some action, then have a nervous breakdown because they can't switch it off like a video game.

When I was a kid we played Army Guys and Cowboys and Indians. Now I play COD. I have yet to go postal.

All good remarks so far folks but most (the left) do not agree that society degrading is the answer to them. They have tunnel vision and accuse the right wings as gun loving zealots who thwart their efforts to curb gun violence at every turn. You see it on all the lame stream media outlets constantly so it must be true and they NEVER refuse to waste a good tragedy to get their wicked point across do they?
You see, it is not the individual that kills, it is the evil guns that do the deeds. If there were no guns then these crazies would not be able to go out in a blaze of glory!!!
Don't you gun loving guys and gals get it???
.Add sarcasm here...

Yep, then those poor drug deprived leftist tools would have to resort to bombs, gasoline, knives, swords, vehicles and things to kill dozens or hundreds at a time instead of one at a time. That's how they do it in other lands. But here, it doesn't serve their agenda. They prefer the gun to further their cause.
Remember the clubs in Long Island and here in Salem, OR. But those didn't further their anti gun cause.

Well there is no answer to why. Of the 100s of millions of people who have existed over the last 30 years, there have been a whopping 85 mass shooters in the US. From the ones I recall, the Whitman shooter had a tumor near his amygdala causing him to lose control, there was that girl who gunned down kids at a bus stop cause she was bored, there were the Jonesboro kids who pulled a fire alarm and let loose on their classmates, cause they were kids and dumb. Then we had Columbine where one was on route to be a proper psychopath, and the other just went along with it. There was Cho at VTech, who was probably just out of his gourd, Loughner was schizophrenic, and the creepy kid from Newtown had some sort of developmental disorder. So, we have a wide variety of reasons why people decide to go on a spree shooting.

How to stop it? Well, we could make everyone take the MMPI when they're 21 and lock up anyone who raises a red flag. Or we could just lower the bar for treating people who have problems.

Instant news coupled with repeated airing of story perhaps making it seem like we have a phenomenon developing? Too bad we didn't spend more time trying to figure out why Benghazi happened or why people abuse children or how to make people more accountable for their actions and why we reward not working with EBT and healthcare but tax those that do and tax them more if they do well and why we tolerate lying by our elected leaders and why do our good LEO's remain silent when they watch the bad LEO's spread tyranny....

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top