JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just got phoned by Tigard pawn in Portland saying I have been delayed...Not sure why when i have a CWP and bought a gun a month ago.

They gave me a number to a challege line but said it would be 48 days before they can legally release without an approved....

I thought Oregon Law was 3 business days?

Last Edited:
If your location is accurate (Washington), then that could have something to do with it. Over the last couple years a lot of rules have changed. Also could be something to do with the firearm type. Did you order a pistol to be delivered to an out of state FFL?

Oregon State Police will want to review those Class B's that the Feds NCIS background check opened up and that will take all of the 35 days they have to either extend the delay or if your lucky, the county that you incurred the citations will dig them up from their records and transmit them to the OSP.
One good thing is that Tigard Pawn will uphold your 2nd amendment rights and hand over the firearm 5 days after the OSP fail to extend their delay.

Also, calling the OSP challenge line will only make them explain why they delayed you, it won't speed things up.

Oregon State Police will want to review those Class B's that the Feds NCIS background check opened up and that will take all of the 35 days they have to either extend the delay or if your lucky, the county that you incurred the citations will dig them up from their records and transmit them to the OSP.
One good thing is that Tigard Pawn will uphold your 2nd amendment rights and hand over the firearm 5 days after the OSP fail to extend their delay.

Also, calling the OSP challenge line will only make them explain why they delayed you, it won't speed things up.
Well dang....i should have had him come to Washington. 10 days is all they get here.....didnt think it would be an issue with a valid CWP

How many times can they extend? Honestly this is bullbubblegum....i traded a gun i bought legally and have to wait a month to get my trade???? Ill never ever buy anything in Oregon again bubblegum

They can extend forever if they so choose. Most of the time they drop the ball and then TP4M has to wait 5 days after they fail extend the delay.
OSP erases your record of BGC's every 5 years, so if you have any issues in your past like I had, you should make the effort to have them expunged and sealed if you're an Oregonian, as the delays will keep happening every time you try to pass a BGC.
I have multiple tax stamps and a concealed carry permit, but that means nothing to the OSP if you have a class B floating out there.

This has not been my experience, with both my denial and the later delay I contacted them. The first time (denial) I emailed them the info they needed and was all clear within 24 hours the second (delay for 6 month investigation) was cleared up as soon as I told them about the denial and earlier investigation, call back with proceed 5 minutes after talking to the agent.
I would say get your paperwork in order and give them a call.

This has not been my experience, with both my denial and the later delay I contacted them. The first time (denial) I emailed them the info they needed and was all clear within 24 hours the second (delay for 6 month investigation) was cleared up as soon as I told them about the denial and earlier investigation, call back with proceed 5 minutes after talking to the agent.
I would say get your paperwork in order and give them a call.
Gives me hope thank you... I called yesterday soon as they gave me the number

Im not short on guns or projects lol. Its more of the principal. I wish these guys would get their stuff together on these BGCs. Makes it hard on people who follow all the rules

My class B happened back in 1980 in Utah. I was hitchhiking to Colorado and a long haired hippy gave me a ride in his station wagon.
There was a safety check roadblock in the middle of nowhere on Memorial Day and the cops found a pot seed on the floor boards.
I was arrested and fined $200.00 along with the hippy.
Many years later back in Oregon I was delayed by the OSP and went through the same process you're going through.
I called and asked them what the hold up was, and they told me it was that class B arrest in Utah, which I had completely forgotten about.
The problem in clearing up the delay came from the fact that my record in Utah was buried in their courthouse basement record vaults and they were not in a hurry to dig through the files to locate it, so I speedily went through the process of an expungement without a lawyer and for only $240.00 had that cleared and sealed by a judge in San Juan County in record time by paying for next day document shipping.
The nice clerk who was helping me through the process explained that the faster I moved the paperwork across her desk the less chance it wouldn't get lost and mired down in all the stacks of other cases that were being handled by lawyers, which she said took an average of 2 years, mostly because they took their sweet time returning back the paperwork in a timely manner.
My case went through in 21 days, which she said was a record in her department.

My class B happened back in 1980 in Utah. I was hitchhiking to Colorado and a long haired hippy gave me a ride in his station wagon.
There was a safety check roadblock in the middle of nowhere on Memorial Day and the cops found a pot seed on the floor boards.
Many years later back in Oregon I was delayed by the OSP and went through the same process you're going through.
I called and asked them what the hold up was, and they told me it was that class B arrest in Utah, which I had completely forgotten about.
The problem in clearing up the delay came from the fact that my record in Utah was buried in their courthouse basement record vaults and they were not in a hurry to dig through the files to locate it, so I speedily went through the process of an expungement without a lawyer and for only $240.00 had that cleared and sealed by a judge in San Juan County in record time by paying for next day document shipping.
The nice clerk who was helping me through the process explained that the faster I moved the paperwork across her desk the less chance it wouldn't get lost and mired down in all the stacks of other cases that were being handled by lawyers, which she said took an average of 2 years, mostly because they took their sweet time returning back the paperwork in a timely manner.
Was that a delay or denial? Because my understanding is they wont renew the delay if its just misdomeaners and they have not heard back.

Mine are from fighting when i first got out of the Army. Had a chip on my shoulder and thought i was billy badazz. In Tennesse doesnt matter if you want to press charges or not. If you fight in public you are both getting charged and let the lawyers figure it out from there.....so i have 3-4 simple assaults.....nothing terrible and i havnt fought in 10+ yrs lol. Old man status soon

I hate delays. I got delayed a few years back in Oregon, so I called the number and left a message. Surprised when I got a call back in a couple hours and a nice lady said the delay was because of an arrest in Kansas that was missing the judgement (it had been dismissed, but was a misdemeanor 20 years ago). The delay was due to incomplete records.

Interestingly when I asked why the delay this time when I had been instantly approved through the years and also possessed a CHL after the fact, I got the feeling that it was kind of a crap shoot depending on who was doing the background check. Then the next day I received a call from the gun shop telling me I was approved.

It was a delay, which the OSP have to figure out if I had outstanding warrants, and since Utah hadn't put my 1980 record on a computer file, it slows down the process.
Once OSP told me what was holding things up, I got online and determined that I qualified for an expungement in Utah.
Once I got that done, it cleared things up with my delay, but if I hadn't, every 5 years I would have to go through the same delay problems in Oregon.
Washington does things different from what I understand.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top