JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Iron

You are correct! There is not a precision rifle worth it's Salt or worth having that can not shoot a 1/2-3/4 MOA Groups or less.
I lot of guys do not realize in the precision or long range world the Scope is the most important part of the rifle systems. You can not shoot what you can not see. And the scope is not good if it can not withstand the recoil or successfully perform a Scope Adjustment Tracking Drill. Always returning to Zero.

I don't know how you can call a 2 MOA with match ammo platform "precision" ?

I didn't realize it was that bad. So at it's effective range of 1400 meters you can expect 30" groups? (I'm rounding). So much for being "effective" on soft targets. :rolleyes:

Maybe what I should do is put the 6 x 24 that I already have on there and see if I can break it.... if I do take it off and put it back on my Ruger Percision rifle after I get back from warranty?

I put a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 with the 30mm tube on my RPR and I'm hoping it's good enough glass for 1000 yard silhouettes. It was twice the money of the glass you're considering.

I didn't realize it was that bad. So at it's effective range of 1400 meters you can expect 30" groups? (I'm rounding). So much for being "effective" on soft targets. :rolleyes:

"Bad" is relative. The fact that you "could" neutralize a soft target at 1800 yards has to account for something. A torso is about a 30" target in elevation.

I'm thinking it's more minute of Volkswagen at those ranges

Well the general idea with a semi-auto .50 BMG is to waste time and money while generating fun... so?
You're having fun while the waste is 1/2-1 mile away.
Your time, your money, your bidness. Please post a review when you get it, and after you've thrown 500 rounds down range.
It seems similar to my Primary Arms FFP scope, and those are noted for early death on hammer recoil rifles.
I went thru this.

For years I held off getting a scope for my .50 BMG - about 10 years actually (some of those years I was trying to sell the rifle here then decided to keep it).

Then recently I saw a good deal here on a SIG Sauer Tango 6.

After digging into what was needed for shooting beyond 1 km and getting any precision, and looking at this guys vids on long range scopes:

I decided to go ahead and spend the $1500 on the Tango 6.

I wanted the elevation adjustment, the optics, the good turrets (very important, especially for shooting at one range and then another) and the mil/mil (turret/reticle), FFP and so on. After listening to TRex, I decided that the Tango 6 was a steal, and if nothing else, I could sell the scope and/or rifle later.

That said, he did not review the Tango 6 - I do not believe it was on the market when he did these vids.
I bought a used Sig Tango 6 1-6 for my AR. LOVE IT.

"Bad" is relative. The fact that you "could" neutralize a soft target at 1800 yards has to account for something. A torso is about a 30" target in elevation.

I'm thinking it's more minute of Volkswagen at those ranges

Yeah, I hear you. To me, 2MOA is not good at all for a rifle with a round that is effective out that far. Heck, I wouldn't be happy with 2MOA out of my 22 WMR to be honest! ;)

Iron,

How do you like your RPR in 6.5 CM. Man I have been seriously being pulled by some unknown source to get one.
A friend of mine tested the RPR in 308 for Ruger and he was so impressed with the performance. In fact Ruger was going to post the pictures of his groups on their Advertising. I have my 40X Sniper Rifle with Leupold M-1 Long Range Scope which is also unbelievable accuracy wise. .420 and .450 groups are almost a norm at 100 yards.

Yeah, I hear you. To me, 2MOA is not good at all for a rifle with a round that is effective out that far. Heck, I wouldn't be happy with 2MOA out of my 22 WMR to be honest! ;)

Well... but I can put ten 750 gr projectiles each with 6 tons of muzzle energy traveling 2750 FPS on a target 100 yards away in 20 or so seconds. Even if the target is behind a cinderblock wall:D

Your .22 WMR just won't cut...

Well... but I can put ten 750 gr projectiles each with 6 tons of muzzle energy traveling 2750 FPS on a target 100 yards away in 20 or so seconds. Even if the target is behind a cinderblock wall:D

Your .22 WMR just won't cut...

IronMonster-1
Kruejl-0

But I'd still put nicer glass on that beast. :D

I'm widely known in my circles as a cheap betard. I do not and have never believed in the choicest glass known to man. The scope I want is sufficient in strength, clarity and must meet my personal needs as to price and warranty also!
That said, the only experience I have shooting the .50 BMG is on the MA DEUCE itself. Maybe you would need the choicest scope! Let us know how it falls out! :)

IronMonster-1
Kruejl-0

But I'd still put nicer glass on that beast. :D

I plan to at some point, I'm just trying to get something on there to play with it. The biggest issue at the moment is is that I really don't know what I want. Seems silly to spend a thousand or $1500-$2000 on an optic when I don't know it's what I really want or need.

Ive owned a couple of bolt action 50 BMG rifles in the past and honestly the best I've ever done is 20 inch groups at 1000 yards. And I'm serious when I say that's my best. More typical five shot group at 1000 yards would be 35 inches.

Really for me this thing is a toy, the fact it makes big holes in things and a big boom is what excites me. If I can hit a 30 inch plate at 1500 yards half the time I'll be a happy camper

There's a video by Military Arms Channel on YouTube where he talks with Leupold and they actually said 50BMG isn't as much of a scope killer as many say. They said the SCAR 17 and spring pellet guns are the number one killers of optics.

With that in mind, I had an M82 that I inherited with the standard Leupold Mark 4 on it and something was wrong by the time I got it, couldn't get it to zero at all. After a trip back to Leupold for repair, it functions fine. In other words, even high end scopes can fail on rifles that don't do the most scope damage, it's also about how the rifle was treated outside the range as well.

You want to shoot the rifle as soon as you can, so go ahead and use what ever you have for now. You can spend the big bucks on yourself for Christmas if you want, but Christmas isn't here yet and the scope you already have is here. Go for it.

You now have a $400 rifle.

Ok... So if you where putting cheap glass on a $7000 precision bolt gun maybe your comment would not be silly... We are talking about a 2 MOA semi auto anti-material rifle... One with factory iron sights I might add.

Last Edited:
C28C61E4-81E5-447B-BEE6-E7D56E524985.jpeg

There She is, my new $400 rifle

My father in law always says your glass should cost as much or more than whatever firearm it is for.

Not saying I agree.

Sounds like great fun!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews