JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I honestly can't imagine that a scope with that much magnification and FFP AND illuminated reticle could be a quality piece at that price. Just my two cents.
Its not that Chinese optics are bad... Its that they go by the specs sent to them. If the specs call for cheap cheap cheap, well...

I'm sure the optics the Chinese military are good, but that's cause they don't make those to the cheap specs companies send em. Course, those are also optics that can't be imported here.

If I was in your position, I would go spend $150 on a Vortex strikefire 2 and see how many of them you can kill with that thing before they stop warrentying them out. Might be a waste of $150 but it would still be fun.

I like to break stuff, leave me alone :confused:

View attachment 402439

There She is, my new $400 rifle
Having seen it in person, Id say it's worth at least $500;). The case it came in is gotta be 3-4 hundred alone. SMH
I can appreciate good glass, but what constitutes good glass is relative. At some point you start paying hundreds for minimal extra clarity, features you'll likely never use, the name brand, and bragging rights at the range because you have the same scope that was used by so and so to win a competition, but he probably got paid to use the same scope that would cost us $3000 to buy. look at how far glass has come in the last 20 years.. a scope we'd pay $100 for today would have been witch craft 100 years ago, and still far superior to anything Carlos Hathcok was using on top of his 50 and making kills out past 1000 with ease in Vietnam. ... I say put the $400 scope on it, and if it doesn't work out, you have one or two other guns that you could put it on... Not like your going to war with it. As expensive as that ammo is, and with all your other toys calling for range time, are you really going to be shooting it enough to tax the optic to failure anyway?

While I did end up buying a Athlon optic I am sure many of you who gave me hell will be happy that I went with the top of the line Cronos in a 4.5-29 x 56. Cabelas had the $1700 scope on sale for $1000 so that seemed like a no brainer.

Now I just need to find a suitable mount and I should be good to go.

While I did end up buying a Athlon optic I am sure many of you who gave me hell will be happy that I went with the top of the line Cronos in a 4.5-29 x 56. Cabelas had the $1700 scope on sale for $1000 so that seemed like a no brainer.

Now I just need to find a suitable mount and I should be good to go.
Sooo. now you have a $1000 rifle?:s0153:

JK

:s0108:

BTW I'd go with an American Defense QD mount. They have excellent return to zero, and they don't chew up your pic rail like a larue can.

The Barrett rings are very sturdy. And they also give you 15-50 MOI depending on which ones you get.
You might need to use all the elevation that scope has to offer with that short barrel.

What velocities do you think it will make?
I've seen 2670FPS average with the HSM 750 Grain A-Max in my 29'' barrel.
I did have to move the chrono out a bit. The gun blew over at 15'. :D

Last Edited:
I can appreciate good glass, but what constitutes good glass is relative.

that very question plagued me for years as I pondered whether I somehow ~might~ have been able to pay less for something obviously spectacularly better, subtle rhinestones perhaps or some kind of little device that emitted pleasant pheromones when I was near.....

Not being a rifle guy my own scope needs have been rather moderate over the years.
I have noted that some scopes actually do provide my geezer eyeballs with better clarity/resolution/color/etc. Others have resisted internal fungal growth or mechanical issues. Some cheaper ones have functioned optically OK while the external scope body coating has become gummy or otherwise objectionable.

In the end my own satisfaction really hasn't been 'cost' but 'function'. One el Cheapo Simmons 4x30 bought at least decades before worked really well on a series of low
power long guns.

My purchases have encountered some scopes that simply weren't adequate products.
Most of my experience with 'failed optics' relates to cheap binos & spotting scopes. I began my trail of financial tears in the mid 80s choosing the scope I could afford, despite warnings of shooting buddies. In weeks I had to upgrade to something better, called IIRC "the Discoverer" perhaps. Well, it was better, until after I noticed serious optical defect qualities inherent with a sub-$200 adjustable scope, my search continued.

I don't intend this to be a long boring tale. I'm sure the OP is well versed in what his needs and means really are. I summarize my own decade long search for a decent spotting scope (not exactly the same as gun-mounted design) by the sequential and moderately idiotic, not to mention considerably more spendy, path I took. Eventually I had 'saved money' on 6 different level of products, in the effort to have something satisfactorily serviceable while not spending a dime more than Mr. SqueezePenny could afford. The learning (and SPENDING) process ended after buying a Swarovsky AT80, a magnificent beast that has served well over 20 years now, with zero complaints. Since I found it very slightly used at a bargain price, it has been even sweeter.

Sooo. now you have a $1000 rifle?:s0153:

JK

:s0108:

BTW I'd go with an American Defense QD mount. They have excellent return to zero, and they don't chew up your pic rail like a larue can.

I like the American Defense stuff and have several of their mounts but am concerned they might not be beefie enough for the Barrett.

At this point I am leaning towards the Spuhr mount but yet to jump

The Barrett rings are very sturdy. And they also give you 15-50 MOI depending on which ones you get.
You might need to use all the elevation that scope has to offer with that short barrel.

What velocities do you think it will make?
I've seen 2670FPS average with the HSM 750 Grain A-Max in my 29'' barrel.
I did have to move the chrono out a bit. The gun blew over at 15'. :D

Its got 27 MOA built into the rail, seems unlikely I would need more than that shooting in the 1000 yard range?

I suspect I will loose 100-200 FPS in the 20", If you look at the AMAX dope they give FPS of 2820 at the muzzle using a 24" barrel

I got the notification that my scope shipped from Cabelas today and I ordered a Spuhr mount. I hope its high enough for the Cronos.

At the start of this thread I was talking about $390 for an optic.... I ended up spending more than that on a mount :D

QDP-4016.png

i have used MK 211 through it over the years. I am sure civilian ammo might produce a bit better accuracy. I have only used it in a mil environment and through all the barrett mil courses and rarely saw anything better than the 3 moa they quote. just my experience.

I've seen 6-7" 5 shoot groups @1000 yards using AMAX projectiles and honestly if I can maintain 2 MOA I'll be happy. Someday I'll likely get an M95 to mate with this thing for more precision shooting

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top