JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Looking good Iron....did you decide to try your owned Athlon before buying the one you talked about? BTW if your selling for $400.... I'll give you $500 ;) w/ or w/o scope

This is the 6-24 off my Ruger Precision rifle and I just snapped it on for the picture. I may take it out today just to make sure it goes bang.

Mostly I was irritated at the "you now have a $400 rifle" comment above and wanted to show what my "$400 rifle" looked like.

I am just over $10K into this thing at the moment including the ammo I bought to feed it. Someday I will buy some nice glass to put on it but it won't be today. Today I am just going to shoot it.

My 50 introduced me to the value of glass. Cost plays a factor, but it's not the end all be all.
If your eye relief is enough, then what the hell? Not sure what relief your scope gives you, but scope eye from a 50 is no fun.

As I've aged, I also adopted the "buy once, cry once" after I found it costs me more in the long run trying to save a few $ initially.
I love NightForce glass. Honestly to my eye, I cannot tell the difference between NF and a US Optics or S&B glass costing twice as much or more. I can see it's a significant step up from Leupold glass. I kind flipped out laying down that kind of coin on a scope, but glad I did. I could probably sell my scopes now for what I paid for them several years ago.

Vortex imho is a price value sweet spot. Especially for a 50. Good enough that you may never need to upgrade, as good or better than Leupold to my eyes, proven to take a beating long term on the platform, excellent price for what you get especially if you can buy on secondary market.
Never looked through the scope you meantioned, but if $400 was my budget, I'd strongly recommend SWFA SS. Mounted on a ton of 50BMG out there and I've never heard any say with that scope you have a cheap rifle ;)
Best of luck which ever way you go.

Last Edited:
I have a Athlon 6x24 FFP BTR ? I believe, I find that scope to be awesome for the price. The only thing I have found that other manufactures have over Athlon is weight. Those scopes are heavier than their peers. If you don't care about weight, go for it. I think it seems obvious that anyone who is selling you something would rather you buy the much more expensive scope.

With the warranty you can't go wrong. Plus - if it lasts for a long time you can always provide a field report to Athlon that their scope has taken 50 BMG recoil x many times without a problem.

I have had the pleasure of shooting several rifles with top of the line big $$$$$ scopes and there is a huge difference in how clear the glass [ bright] is as compared to lesser scopes when looking at things at a 1000 yards. You are going bang with 50 BMG ammo and are skimping on a scope !!!!!

As I've aged, I also adopted the "buy once, cry once" after I found it costs me more in the long run trying to save a few $ initially.

I've had similar discovery. Usually my cheap stuff has cost at least one additional if not multiple other purchases. Few of them have come with a sterling factory warranty though.

Thing is, if you have a lifetime warranty and your scope is halfway decent, probably won't hurt to try out the scope for a while. If it works then use it. If it breaks, send it in and buy something else. If it works but isn't adequate, then use the scope for something else and get a better scope.

With a 2 MOA rifle putting a high precision scope on it won't make it a 1 MOA rifle.

I can't say I blame you!;)

Maybe I should add that he (My fil) is an outdoor writer on prostaff with Leupold so he doesn't pay a dime for glass.

Anti-material has a nice ring to it. sounds like fun!!

Notice the $400 optic on my $300 Ruger Charger.

If you want to hit what you're aiming at, every time, spend the money on the optics. Oh, and I don't put Yamaguchihama Chinese tires on my Toyota Tundra, either. A blown or flat tire, at a critical moment, I can live without.

Notice the $400 optic on my $300 Ruger Charger.

If you want to hit what you're aiming at, every time, spend the money on the optics. Oh, and I don't put Yamaguchihama Chinese tires on my Toyota Tundra, either. A blown or flat tire, at a critical moment, I can live without.

Wait, that makes no sense at all. You are saying you are buying a really good $400 optic for your charger but I am cheaping out by spending the same $400 on a optic for my rifle?

I dig it man. I am interested in hearing the range report on the Athlon vs. 50 BMG recoil and repeatability after said recoil. I dont think you will have a problem, but my Athlons are only on 6.5 CM rifles so its really no comparison recoil wise.

I would be interested in hearing about the scope base/mount on the Barrett.

When I was researching scopes for my .50 I learned something I did not know when I bought the AR-50; their bases have a recoil lug that fits into recesses on the rifle receiver.

ar50riser4.jpg

The better to handle the recoil with my dear. :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews