JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just buy an Ak in 223 or 762. Cheaper right now.

If they don't pick up their crap after shooting it's probably just like how they treat the planet in the first place. Dropping garbage on the road, flicking cigarette butts out their window. They need some community service time but I don't think that would help either.

Curious as to what issues come with steel case ammo? that you've seen. I've "Heard" of the case coating gumming up the chamber? I only shoot it in my polish parts AK 47. Certainly not a "Precision Rifle", and haven't noticed any issues.
It's not the case coating that causes the issue. This is a very common misunderstanding and and repeated Internet "truth". The polymer and laquer coatings will not get hot enough to "melt" in the chamber. There's been tests and writeups done where a torch was held to the casing and it did not melt.

The bigger issue is build up from blow by, causing excessive fouling. This accumulates in the chamber and will adhere to the outside of the cases and inside of the chamber gumming things up and decreasing clearances between the two. This is generally thought to be due to the steel case not expanding and sealing in the chamber as well as brass casings. I'm sure the powder is a lot dirtier too which only adds to the issue.

Some guns run steel no problem, some won't.

Curious as to what issues come with steel case ammo? that you've seen. I've "Heard" of the case coating gumming up the chamber? I only shoot it in my polish parts AK 47. Certainly not a "Precision Rifle", and haven't noticed any issues.
There was a whole thread about this awhile back but yes Every 20 or so rounds a case would jam in my chamber , as in get a rod and pound it out,
This was with a Kel-Tec SU-16 and a Sprinfield M1A Loaded model with Wolf .308.
Now whether it was the lacquer melting or the carbon and junk building up around the steel case which doesn't expand like brass does in the chamber, I don't know. I just know that it didn't work in 2 of my guns so I said I don't see the value of steel cased ammo if this is happening, so I sold all mine off and have stuck with brass ever since.
Plus I get that feeling of moral superiority telling people who buy Wolf, Barnaul and the rest they are supporting an adversary nation.:D

So Lucky Gunner did a torture test on this (believe this was posted in another thread as well). They used Federal brass as a baseline and fired 10,000 rounds through four identical AR's using Tula, Wolf and Brown Bear. Very long but interesting article here: Lucky Gunner Article

The Tula failed quickly, just would not work in the gun, so they found another that it would work in an continued with some of the testing up to 6k rounds. The three non-Federal shout out the throats and barrels before 10k rounds (granted, they abused these guns and shot them crazy hot). Malfunctions were not surprising.

Reliability-table-Sunday-e1357506241973.png

Ultimately they found that the steel cased ammo was likely more cost effective with the cost of replacing barrels. To each their own...personally I'll stick with brass and reload. Tons of great photos of part details in the article.

So Lucky Gunner did a torture test on this (believe this was posted in another thread as well). They used Federal brass as a baseline and fired 10,000 rounds through four identical AR's using Tula, Wolf and Brown Bear. Very long but interesting article here: Lucky Gunner Article

The Tula failed quickly, just would not work in the gun, so they found another that it would work in an continued with some of the testing up to 6k rounds. The three non-Federal shout out the throats and barrels before 10k rounds (granted, they abused these guns and shot them crazy hot). Malfunctions were not surprising.

View attachment 731035

Ultimately they found that the steel cased ammo was likely more cost effective with the cost of replacing barrels. To each their own...personally I'll stick with brass and reload. Tons of great photos of part details in the article.
Amen to that:s0155:

I should have added... Does that cost-effectiveness include reloading? I'm guessing not

Last Edited:
As @WillametteWill pointed out with the Lucky Gunner test it takes a LOT to wear out a barrel. I generally notice more stoppages and less accuracy shooting steel but I'm not worried about it damaging my rifle. At the range steel is no problem... if my life depends on it I go with brass from IMI

View attachment 731035

I believe they concluded it was because of the sintered bullets allowing increased blow by.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top