JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ammo is hard to come by these days, I want to train more but can't find a decent round anywhere. Do I resort to shooting steel? I run a Geissele Urgi super duty and am confident it will eat anything I find it. Am I destroying the life of my rifle by doing so?

I wouldn't run it through one of my precision rifles, but I've ran thousands of steel cased ammo through other AR15s.

They also make polymer coated and zinc coated steel cased ammo. I've found the zinc coated to run the most reliably, though haven't had a ton of issues with the other.

The cost of the ammo easily negates any wear in the barrel.

Brown Bear .223 will blend right in with all the other cheap steel case people leave laying around forest shooting spots and ranges/clubs.

Ammo is hard to come by these days, I want to train more but can't find a decent round anywhere. Do I resort to shooting steel? I run a Geissele Urgi super duty and am confident it will eat anything I find it. Am I destroying the life of my rifle by doing so?
A new barrel is what, $5? It's just not worth it.

I'll attest to that and shotgun hulls!!!:mad::mad::mad:

It's those damned shotgun hulls! They'll be there forever! I'm not sure I get shotty-shooters. (cringe) Not talking about hunters and skeet/trap guys. With all the hulls you see there aren't the busted clays to go with the # of hulls. I would surmise that the ones leaving the hulls are those that aren't capable of hitting a target with a bullet shooting gun at 15'. What the hell do these dicks think when they see the piles of hulls, and then they add to it! :mad:

What the hell do these dicks think when they see the piles of hulls, and then they add to it! :mad:
Mine will just blend in and no one will be the wiser!:rolleyes:

I get PO'd six ways to Wednesday seeing all the shotgun casings laying all over the place!:mad: It really isn't that hard to clean up after ones self!:rolleyes:

Thats what im saying! I also feel like since im considering purchasing steel cased ammo everyone assumes im going to leaves my cartridges everywhere like im some irresponsible moron.

Mine will just blend in and no one will be the wiser!:rolleyes:

I get PO'd six ways to Wednesday seeing all the shotgun casings laying all over the place!:mad: It really isn't that hard to clean up after ones self!:rolleyes:
Steel is the easiest to pick up. A $5 300lb Harbor Freight magnet on some twine..

Thats what im saying! I also feel like since im considering purchasing steel cased ammo everyone assumes im going to leaves my cartridges everywhere like im some irresponsible moron.

Not at all, members here tend to be ethical shooters and pick up after themselves, not flaming you bro.
In my pit (unofficial caretaker) I leave signs whenever I see hulls laying around, I'll rake them into piles the leave a nasty gram on cardboard and set a rock on it. 9/10 it sits for a week or so then it'll get picked up. I'm hoping by the slobs but don't know for sure, probably not though. I've not had any shotty slobs lately.
It's the steel casing slobs that will not pick up their bubblegum...:mad:

It's those damned shotgun hulls! They'll be there forever! I'm not sure I get shotty-shooters. (cringe) Not talking about hunters and skeet/trap guys. With all the hulls you see there aren't the busted clays to go with the # of hulls. I would surmise that the ones leaving the hulls are those that aren't capable of hitting a target with a bullet shooting gun at 15'. What the hell do these dicks think when they see the piles of hulls, and then they add to it! :mad:

Yeah, they are compensating for something aren't they....:eek:

I apologize. Yeah, boy, that was me that took your thread down a different road. Not really thinking YOU would be one to leave your crap laying. Just that is one of the things that get to me. Heck, even at our private, gated ,club there's a butt-load of steel .223/300blk all over the place. That's one of the things Wifey and I do when we go up there once a month or so. A couple of HF magnets and we usually come home with 5-10# that go in the recycle bin.

Mea Culpa

I've had bad luck with steel=cased ammo in the past so I shun it completely nowadays,
Besides, why send money to Russian companies when their government is constantly trying to harm us?

I've had bad luck with steel=cased ammo in the past so I shun it completely nowadays,
Besides, why send money to Russian companies when their government is constantly trying to harm us?

Curious as to what issues come with steel case ammo? that you've seen. I've "Heard" of the case coating gumming up the chamber? I only shoot it in my polish parts AK 47. Certainly not a "Precision Rifle", and haven't noticed any issues.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top