JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think my first post (or close to it) on NWFA was about a 9mm case blown out at the web when my SIL shot some reloads I had bought.
Yea, stuff happens. I mainly use Browning Hi-Powers and when I was younger, I had a habit of loading it so hot the primers would fall out on the first shot. Never had a glocked case though.

I would just get the Gen5 G19 MOS, load it with 147-grain HST rounds and call it good. If you are stuck on 10mm, get a G20 and forget the RDS- the G40 is a big bubblegum. 9mm is fine for hiking unless you're planning on going where the big brownies are, and then you probably want a long gun and a slow friend. If you must have an RDS and a .40-caliber bullet, get a G35 MOS.

Just my .02, but I would not bet my life on an XD. I've seen too many with substantial feeding issues.

aolu0jz.jpg

Go with the Glock 40 MOS in 10mm. It comes with a variety of base plates for mounting red dot sights. 10 mm ammo is more widely available and with a larger assortment of bullet weights and styles.

Springfield quality is good on the XD, 10,000 of 10 mm is more than most will ever shoot, and it's not like they started having failures at 10,000.
I'd pick the 10mm over the .357 sig every time, I'd probably do it in a Glock 20 though, shoot it a bunch and once I was satisfied with reliability, send it out to be milled for the RMR.

General woods work, not hunting, has specific criteria IMHO.
Small size, light weight, substantial firepower and capacity with inherent reliability.

Im a 10mm fanboy for sure. And while I prefer a 1911, my woods gun is a G29 with a KKM barrel and a 15 rnd mag. A $70 Amazon nylon chest pac holster is the finishing touch.

CELL PICS 365.jpg dding 026.jpg

10mm : easily reloadable straight wall case, with many component choices and excellent wide range of ballistic options;

357 Sig: not so much; makes 10mm look economical in factory loads;

Ppl
Maybe not, at least with the Ruger..

The Revolver Guy is usually on top of things, I'm surprised he didn't know the reason before and then missed the obvious solution even though it was mentioned in the article.

In short the clips were too thin for the brass he was using.

9mm clip fed revolver shooters are well aware of the variations in extractor groove specs between different manufacturers of cases. You match clip thickness to the brass you use. This is why they are manufactured in various thicknesses.

The same holds true for the 10mm, or any other rimless cartridge when used with clips in a revolver.

True, ya do need to be aware. But you can find "cheap stuff". Magtech is rated about 1250 on a 180 grn in a 5" barrel. Good 'nuff.

I just ordered an array of ammo from underwood and im trying a box of 115 gr extreme defenders rated at 1700 fps and 738 ftlb! Ill post back after i run a couple mags.

I think mos is overated for defensive purposes whether 2 or 4 legged. It just.complicates holster selection and concealment. Close in for defense you just need to practice and focus on the front sight. I pack a glock 20 when I also have a rifle in the back country and a 44 mag wheelgun when I don't, which is fairly rare.

Last Edited:
I dunno if I'd call the new red dots overrated. I thought the same until I picked one up, then I felt like I was cheating. I've never been an optics guy, but man do they work.

I've had both the 1911 and Glock in 10mm, the Glock was the more comfortable shooter. As far as the Springfield XD guns go, they're good shooters, and they're tough as nails. During the early Obama era ammo panics, I was buying reloads from a local shop. Had a double charged round in an XD45 without doing a bit of damage to the gun. I'd hit the local shops and pick the one that points most naturally, and feels best to you.

I would be willing to guess if you can find a 40 swap barrel for a 10mm, you could also find a 357 swap. Therefore, I'd get the 10 and be able to have all 3.

The problem I've had with 357 Sig is due to the short neck, you really only have a couple chamberings of a given round before visually significant bullet setback occur so I consider it a one and done caliber. Reloading also takes an additional step for me as I can't find a carbide die anywhere and I am NOT going to lube every single pistol case like a rifle. It is fun to shoot though.
I went to a course the first week of Oct '19 and used a XD40 4" Mod 2 with a 357 Sig conversion barrel. 700 rounds, no problems.
I own a XD357 (Factory 357 Sig, conversion barrel in 357 Sig for my M&P40C 3.6", and I own a Glock I really like a G-33 in 357 sig The death of 357 Sig announcement is premature.

OP I own a Springfield XDM10 in both 5.25" and 4,5", I like them fine and prefer the longer one. I also own a G-20, G-29 and EAA Witness Elite Match in 10 MM. I bought the G-29 first, I can shoot it accurately, but I do not like the grip, I have a 40 S&W for it, never use it. The 29 is last on my list of five, but still with all it's warts a good gun. The G-20 is supposed to be identical to the 29 but for the length of grip and barrel, maybe so but I think the 20 is a world apart from the 29, a good world at that. The 20 is blocky but much nicer to use than the 29.. the grip is still fat. It is number four, solid gun.
I prefer for carrying the XDM10, and of the two I like to handle the 5.25" best, it has better adjustable sights both have thinner grips than the G-20. Number three for me is 4.5" XDM10, number two in the 5.25" XDM10
My EAA Witness Elite Match is a finely machined piece of heavy steel. Pretty and accurate, but heavy. Beautiful, but heavy. I won't carry it, but it is my number one.

I carry CCW 40 S&W mostly, Springfield XD40 SC Mod 2,, Springfield XDS40 Mods 1&2, M&P40C M2 in 4" or 3.6" and Taurus PT-140 G2C all in 40 S&W... I like my rounds to be younger than me.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top