JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thinking about a MOS pistol. Generally for target shooting and or some wilderness hiking. Weight is an issue. I see that Springfield has a XD 10 MM semi but I do not know about quality although I have a XD 40 subcompact and an XDS 9mm and quality seems very goo. I seem to recall that Springfield did a torture test at 10,000 rounds through their XD 10 mm which was flawless but that seems like a low level compared to some that are tested to 25,000 rounds. Any ideas on Springfield's quality compared to Smith or whoever?

Any ideas which way to go? 357 SIG or 10 mm. Both, in theory, will accept 40 caliber swap barrels I'd think?
Any suggestions for models? I have a 44 mag Ruger Super Black hawk for serious backwoods work.

Some of us seriously consider even prefer 357 Sig. I'm one.

It's not 'theory on barrel swapping, depending on which guns.

I picked up a 357-Sig barrel for a 1911 Kimber (4" bull), that came in 40 S&W. Converted a Para P16 (40 S&W OEM) to 10mm with a Clark barrel (both are ramped type). Have 357 Sig barrels for M&Ps that were 40 S&W) - 1.0 FS, Compact and a 5" 2.0. - most recently picked up a Glock 20 (10mm) from a member here and just found a 357-Sig barrel for it. It's my preferred carry caliber and I have plenty to chose from.

Suggest either a Glock 20 (10mm) or 40-MOS (10mm) and consider adding a 357 Sig barrel. But note, with those guns, the barrel is heavier especially the 6" 40-MOS so you'd need hotter loads or a different recoil spring when running avg. 357 Sig loads.

I like 45 Colt and 44 Special in revolvers and those are getting rarer to find, besides - if I want to shoot hundreds of rounds for fun, I swap a 9mm barrel into one of my ex-40s or a G19. Self defense ammo doesn't require large quantities of ammunition so long as you are reasonably skilled. Most people practice with ball ammo anyway.

Last Edited:
That really surprised me. Like so many others I would have just assumed the .40 would work dandy in these. Good to know for anyone who buys one of these wheel guns to know.

Smith & Wesson 610 Revolver, now back in production is listed by them supporting both 10mm and 40 S&W. Naturally moon clips are required to shoot rimless cartridges in a revolver.

Some of us seriously consider even prefer 357 Sig. I'm one.

It's not 'theory on barrel swapping, depending on which guns.

I picked up a 357-Sig barrel for a 1911 Kimber (4" bull), that came in 40 S&W. Converted a Para P16 (40 S&W OEM) to 10mm with a Clark barrel (both are ramped type). Have 357 Sig barrels for M&Ps that were 40 S&W) - 1.0 FS, Compact and a 5" 2.0. - most recently picked up a Glock 20 (10mm) from a member here and just found a 357-Sig barrel for it. It's my preferred carry caliber and I have plenty to chose from.

Suggest either a Glock 20 (10mm) or 40-MOS (10mm) and consider adding a 357 Sig barrel. But note, with those guns, the barrel is heavier especially the 6" 40-MOS so you'd need hotter loads or a different recoil spring when running avg. 357 Sig loads.

I like 45 Colt and 44 Special in revolvers and those are getting rarer to find, besides - if I want to shoot hundreds of rounds for fun, I swap a 9mm barrel into one of my ex-40s or a G19. Self defense ammo doesn't require large quantities of ammunition so long as you are reasonably skilled. Most people practice with ball ammo anyway.

correction "...with those guns, the SLIDE is heavier especially the 6" 40-MOS "

Man! Thats some real love right there!
"When you care to send the very best ..."

I look forward to hearing your thoughts. :)
Ive had great luck with underwood ammo and it is a bit spendy but its top shelf ammo, it all shot great, i like the specs on the 115 gr ex defender but it was the least impressive and showed little expansion, i did like the 150gr jhp It was just atomizing oranges semmed like the best ballance between weight and speed 1500fps 750ftlb

Ive had great luck with underwood ammo and it is a bit spendy but its top shelf ammo, it all shot great, i like the specs on the 115 gr ex defender but it was the least impressive and showed little expansion, i did like the 150gr jhp It was just atomizing oranges semmed like the best ballance between weight and speed 1500fps 750ftlb

This is the 40 SW we are talking about? what pistol are you shooting this out of and barrel length?

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top